effects of sub on rear speaker SQ

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Minitrucker88, Dec 30, 2002.

1. i am planning on upgrading the speakers in the rear deck and adding an audiobahn aw1206q in the trunk of my 94 caprice. with the rear speakers using the trunk as an "enclosure," won't the air pressure from the subs have an effect on the sound quality of the rear speakers? i am picturing the speaker trying to play and the sub bumping and moving the mid involuntarily. any advice is appreciated.

things i have already considered:
    1- enclose the rear speakers to isolate them
    2- ditch the rears, LOUDSYSTEM tells me they dont do much for the front seat passengers anyways. i was also thinking this might help the bass into the cabin if i let the empty speaker holes act as vents between the trunk and the cabin. how far off am i? ;) or seal up the empty holes in the rear deck.

2. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

When you're sitting in the front seat and you have front speakers going, you will not hear the rear speakers unless you fade to the rear. Having a rear stage somewhat screws up the front stage as well I think. The only reason I see to having a rear stage is if you drive people around a lot because if you just have a front stange, and you have people in the rear seats, they hear nothing but bass and that just sucks to be them. But not you and your passenger. :o

3. well i say screw the back seat passengers then. i very rarely drive with that many people anyways. it makes my car scrape too much. :cool: so what about my theory with the rears and the sub?

4. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

If you're talking about leaving the holes in the rear deck open so you get more bass in the cabin, then sure that will work. It'll be a little louder, so that's always good. It has the same effect as putting down the rear seats(for those with cars that can do that) for more bass in the cabin.

5. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

get

cooler

sub

now

6. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

get

sub

that

has

same

amount

of

cone

area

as

model

not

a 12

that

has

the

cone

area

of

a

7. gee kev you're such a help. :rolleyes: seriously what do you think of my ideas?

8. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

There goes the BOSE and JL salesman hard at work. :big grin:

9. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

if your gona leave the back holes for vents id stick a grill over it so it doesnt look like you just made it louder ghetto style.

10. thats the plan:bigthumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2002