WEB Effective Web Design, Speed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Azazel28, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

2. rwdftw

rwdftw Guest

all I see is a black background and no text

3. Lava Joe

Lava Joe Guest

But the load speed was very impressive.

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (lolphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

:rofl:

5. whomadewho

whomadewho Ohhh FCN Ohhhhh FCN!

why do I suspect that article was written in pre-historic times?

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Flash based navigation. Now that's effective web design and speed.

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

It was written yesterday. :o

8. whomadewho

i skimmed it and read "keep frames to a minimum", then I closed the site and realized the article was written during the industrial revolution

9. whomadewho

oh and kingtoad.. i just caught you going from the pooper back to the computer :rofl: didn't I?

10. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

:rofl:

I was just going to say....

11. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Well the top of the website is not flash it's javascript, so for SEO purposes the website works just fine even with the flash side navigation.

I personally just stay away from frames all together, it is usually something that was used quite a bit in the mid 90's. It looks horrible and like the article says slows the shit out of your website.

12. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I wasn't referring the the header nav.

13. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Oh I know, you were referring to the side navigation. However, there is nothing wrong with using flash as a navigation system, it becomes an issue when you base your entire site off of that particular application.

Do you have a problem with flash as a navigation? If so, why?

14. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

well for one; since i once worked for the state as a web designer, flash would be unacceptable for navigation since screen readers can't read it. that also means it would be a bad choice for any corporation or heavily accessed website.

second; flash is a third party application after all which is another customer base limiter; even though it is somewhat common.

15. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Very valid arguments there, many companies tend to shy away from third party applications in favor of their own (flash does not like to play well with others).

I too have been doing web design for quite awhile now, I graduated with a degree in that field and have been enjoying it for quite awhile now. However, my development knowledge is novice as best (I am the left brained one).

There are plenty of remedies for a heavily accessed website that utilizes a flash navigation system, which is simple create an alternative html link menu system. It might not be the greatest solution taking up real estate and quite possible cluttering up the design, but is is a solution none the less.

In this particular situation, we are referring to a web design company here and their users 95% will most definitely have flash. There are a few web firms I used to work for that had their own analytics program running, very similar to Google analytics and it was found that out of 130,000 unique hits to the website only 2-3% of them did not have flash enabled or installed. IMO, for a web design company 2-3% can be negated. However, as you said with large corporate e-commerce website like Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, etc. a Flash navigation would be disastrous because they rely on ever single one of those percentages (especially when dealing with millions of hits).

16. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

It isn't so much of a question of whether it's supported, it's a question of whether it's necesary.

All the effects they do could be duplicated using javascript, which would retain accessibility, SEO (even if it is negligable, it's something), would work for everyone, and would most likely have a smaller footprint. Also, any mobile support will most likely be nonexistant.

In my opinion there are extremely few instances where flash should actually be used.

17. Azazel28

Azazel28 New Member

Considering Flash is coming out with a mobile version here quite soon (well they have said that for a year now) http://www.adobe.com/mobile/

To top all that off the majority of cell phones are going have full web browser compatibility in a matter of a year or two. So in truth this piece of your argument means very little to me. However, all of your other points are spot on and I can understand your position.

One reason I use flash is because it is designer friendly. For those individuals who are not as developer savvy or have a smaller team of designers/developers passing some of the development onto the designers can help achieve a very similar look in javascript and in many cases less time. This allows for a smaller team of developers to focus on more back end work and deal less with the front end development.

Also nothing is necessary when it comes to design element's that you would be implementing with javascipt like sliding menus, photo gallery, etc. It is mainly for aesthetic purposes anyway.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  18. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

yup. remember the KISS principle. (keep it simple, stupid) :)

flash has its place, but in very few circumstances should it be navigation.

19. gobbles

gobbles .

I worked on a site where it began as all flash placed into a table, which eventually progressed (as I learned more) into xhtml, css, and javascript. The only thing left that was flash was the header, since it was easier to use Flash instead of a bunch of javascript to make the horizontal drop-down menus work. Btw NEVER do this :rofl: