SRS efexor-xr

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by marauder, Oct 30, 2007.

1. marauder

marauder New Member

I'm wanting to know if anyone here has been on it and your experiences with it as some of the stuff I have read makes me :noes::noes:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/youropinions.php?opinionid=5321&p=1
    http://www.depressionblog.com/archives/000061.shtml
    http://www.medhelp.org/forums/mentalhealth/messages/32354.html
    http://www.askapatient.com/viewratings.asp?drug=20699&name=EFFEXOR%20XR&sort=age

So yes reading all this makes me uneasy about what might happen felt slightly loopy after a few hrs but it went away. Only been on it 1 day 75mg after a week I go to 150mg if side effects have stopped so yeah just uneasy about this drug from my reading.

Side effects pupil dilation felt slightly odd thought I was going to get a headache or something but it passed.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  2. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Turned everyone I know that used it into emotionless zombies. Im not even trying to sensationalize that, they just didnt show emotion in any way. Most had a really hard time getting off too. I hate to see doctors pushing that. Im not again medicating depression in some circumstances, but effexor xr is some awful shit.

3. marauder

marauder New Member

I have my check up in 2 weeks to see how my blood pressure is if causes me any issues I will talk to the doc then.
    I didn't take it last time I was meant to... this time I was told to as they need to see if it has any effect if it hasn't after 1 month I'm being taken off it.

The reading I did about it even if it does help I doubt I will decide to continue it sounds like the few positives that people have had the side effects aren't worth it.

I don't like how the people that make it aren't sure what their drug does sure doesn't inspire confidence in it.

:noes:

4. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

i took it back in highschool for ADD, i hated it and getting off the drug was really stressful and an emotional rollercoaster

5. marauder

marauder New Member

:( I hope this doesn't screw me over it sounds like a horrid time to get off it that's for sure.

I feel how to put it weighed down today if that makes sense, I felt warm after I had it like 2hrs latter but to touch I wasn't . I'm defiantly not feeling normal fuck what's 150mg going to do to me when I'm at that :noes::noes::noes:

I don't like the idea of being on it for two weeks though I will stick it out that long and if I'm becoming like a drone will let the doc know I no logger want to take it this.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  6. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

i took effexor for like a year back in highschool and got off of it. then a couple years ago my sophmore year of college took strattera but quit. both for ADD, told myself i will never take another anti depressant or add med after taking those two

7. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I was on it for about a year. The only real difference I noticed was that I felt less physically anxious. Oh, and it made sex a fucking waste of time :wtc: Coming off it gave me the usual "brain shocks" that people experience (I can't remember what they're typically referred to as). I'm on Lexapro and I think it's a hell of a lot better.

8. marauder

marauder New Member

This is just a complete update on what I have experienced while on EFEXOR-XR

Day 1 taken first tablet at dinner time
    Felt weird after first 1 sort of out of it and odd maybe like I was high or something felling happed about 2hrs after taking tablet and lasted for maybe 1hr also latter while that was happened legs and arms felt warmish and continued for some time.
    I felt like pressure in my head build up felt like a headache was coming on then it went just stopped.
    Muscle spasms in legs that night. Pupils dilated.

Day 2
    Felt not normal that day.
    Afternoon went for a about a 30min walk next day made me feel worn out and slightly odd chest sort of felt tight but heart wasn’t racing or anything it eased off when I was walking on slightly downhill footpath but still felt tired.
    Warm feeling in arms legs.
    Felt weighed down today if that makes sense.
    I also had the odd headache pressure thing then it went that day to.
    Watched a program with subtitles back of head felt tingly and I felt odd it was brief and passed. That day also had muscle spasms in legs.
    That night had like a panic after I went to bed normal creaking sounds a house makes of floor boards heard that and freaked me out was weird had to tell myself nothing there until the feeling passed.

Day 3-4
    Didn't feel normal that morning.
    t had some work to do just writing stuff down etc. I felt hot and weird started to sweat and soon after I felt stranger after this parts of head felt tingly back and sides soon after felt I wasn’t in full control was like I had a few too many drinks.
    Lunch had to think for for a while if I had eaten decided I hadn’t remembered when I was going to get some food and realized I had eaten. Muscle spasms in legs.
    Headache at about 4pm but not like normal think of the throbbing but stops it as it throbs and you have the pressure built up and with only a slight sort of ripple to it easing every now and then lasted to 3am had ice pack when I went to bed it helped took panadeine for it at about 2am.
    I didn't sleep per say but I was barely with it and had my eyes open and like was out of it but just with it and could see still this morning my eyes feel like I have been staring.
    I didn’t feel like I hadn’t like when restless and unable to sleep but slept but feel drained.

Waking up at 6am not being able to go back to sleep maybe sort of a light doze sort of but that’s it.
    Seem to be getting sweaty more past few days when I was feel warm
    Generally not as hungry

I'm going to Doc today this med is messing with me and it's to weird.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  9. marauder

marauder New Member

side effects haven't left me yet messing with me needing to piss as well :ugh: seems this shit takes 3 days to get out of your system.

Anyhow went a Doc he wasn't surprised by whats going and to try 37.5mg for a week if the side effects continue to stop it on Saturday.

I'm not taking them I have had enough of the side effects and I have barely been on them and from what I have read lower probably won't help me seeing of what it's been doing. I will see my own doctor when his back but this POS is a :nono: glad I'm not on them for depression so it's not going to matter me by not using them.
    Was to try them to help ADD well I can't stand Efexor-XR :rl: and shall never want to take it again.

10. CUinHELL

CUinHELL New Member

couldn't handle it

I tried 37.5mg, by the 3rd day I had to quit it. Bad insomnia. Took it in the evening the first time. Couldn't sleep for shit. Completely spaced out the next day. 2nd pill I took in the afternoon figuring that the effect would wear and I could sleep. No dice, awake at 3:00 am wigging out. Fell back asleep at 5:00. Up again at 6:00. Stayed up and got ready for work. Took the 3rd pill before working. BIG mistake, completely non functional that day. :nuts:
    That was 2 days ago. I just slept 10 hours straight. whew.

11. FredricaBimmel

FredricaBimmel Great big fat person

I take 150mg a day and don't have any adverse side effects... just the typical antidepressant side effects.

The worst is the insomnia for which I take lunesta.

12. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

13. LT4Justin

LT4Justin New Member

I took it for a little over a year from early '01- mid '02 for severe depression (don't remember the dosage).

For me the bright side was that it made life tolerable. The downside was that after I had worked through most of my issues I still found life to be tolerable even though I was working on a factory assembly line and living with my parents. (i.e. it totally killed any ambition)

One day I decided to just stop taking it and had the "brain shocks" that were described earlier for about a month or so... haven't taken any medications since.

Effexor probably played a pretty large roll in me not killing myself. Prior to the effexor my doctor started me out on celexa, which proved ineffective.

14. Schadenfreude1

Schadenfreude1 New Member

I have been on it for about 3 years. Works fine for me.

15. FredricaBimmel

FredricaBimmel Great big fat person

Exactly.

Effexor is one of the more powerful antidepressants so I think it should only be used on severe cases and then immediatly stepped down to one of the more common ones.

It helped me live through my depression and now I see myself just coasting along mentally... I don't care much about doing amazing in school... just blah.

I've accidently missed a few doses and the brain shock thing doesn't look like fun.

16. marauder

marauder New Member

I'm back on it now 1 every 2nd day of at 37.5mg for a week then review with doc to see how I am.
    I'm using it for ADHD this is what I found.

17. b0vine

b0vine New Member

Effexor is a rank nasty bitch. Was on it at 150mg and I just became this blank emotional wreck. I became a real fucking zombie. Seriously, I found it better to be sad a rarely happy than just nothing at all. Brain shocks are brutal, withdrawl even when slowly dosed down is really really straining. I was always cold too, which sucked.

Im on Lexapro now too, its certainly much more mellow.

I really hate having to be on pills.

18. b0vine

b0vine New Member

And I heard that the 37.5mg dosage was just a sortof placebo, and it just tests whether or not your body can handle the drug. I heard it had no real desired effects on depression.

Is that true?

19. TwiggSS

TwiggSS eh?

I've been on a few AD's for anxiety over the years, effexor was by far the worse, being on it sucked and going off it was the worst.

The "brain zaps" were the worst part. :(

20. borborygmus

borborygmus Guest

my wife has been on it for about a year now, it totally changed her outlook on life and she is much happier. She loves it and doesn't have any side effects :dunno: