A&P EF vs EF-S noob question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by EWhytsell, Feb 18, 2009.

1. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I can't find anything that says definitely about these lenses. What I'm trying to figure out is if say an EF-S 17-55 on a 1.6crop body has the same field of view as a similar EF lens on a FF body or is it still effected by the crop factor which would make the EF-S seem like a 28-88.

2. the Rosswog

the Rosswog OT Supporter

it is still effected by the crop factor, giving you a 28mm equivalent field of view on a crop body.

3. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

It's still affected by the crop factor, which I still think is a load of shit, as it doesn't work on a full frame body!!

It also casts a smaller image circle in some cases...

Although they probably just stuck with convention on this one.

4. the Rosswog

the Rosswog OT Supporter

if you want 16/17mm "true" field of view on a 1.6 crop, buy the 10-22mm EF-S

5. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Okay then. I agree that is a load of crap. Especially for the cost of the 17-55.

I'm thinking of either getting it or the EF 16-35 and I'm thinking I'd rather have a true L if I'm gonna spend L money since there's no advantage.

Not to mention a 5DmkII will be purchased at some point (distant future unless I win a lottery.):wiggle:

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

the ff issue has nothing to do with crop factor and everything to do with the smaller image circle. closer rear elements -> smaller projected image circle -> smaller glass elements -> cheaper to make and buy. they are for aps-c sensors only, which is fine for most users.

7. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

not sure what you're trying to say, so i'll just elaborate on my point, i was just trying to say they should name these lenses based on their APS-C focal lengths, as those are the only sensors they will work with;

1) these lenses don't work on full frame bodies, it makes little sense to quote their focal length based on a 35mm sensor size

2) i know why they don't work on full frame bodies

to be fair though, i know they probably stuck with FF focal lengths so they have a universal system/naming convention