eek, almost got scammed selling my macbook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Immortal1, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

so i listed up a macbook core duo 2ghz on craigslist the other day. it's new in box so i listed it at $925 obo.

i get a few takers and one guy offered $950...so i'm thinkin sweet.

i go through a series of emails and whatnot with this kid. he seems legit. we set up a meeting time at a local gym tonight, well lit, i know the area. he says he'll be walking from a friends house nearby since he doesn't have a car.

i figure ok, i show up, and he calls me saying he's nearby. we meet, he's a little azn kid, didn't think much of it, except for the fact he's never used a mac.

anyways he hands me the cash and i say im gonna count this in my car, so i pull the macbook closer and pop a squat on the passenger seat. thumbin thru the bills... 9, 100's and 1, 50.

I usually count twice just to make sure and as I do so I'm feeling these bills, running them thru my fingers and shit. I flip it over and realize woah these shits aint real.

So, in hindsight I reacted really calmy, I was just like "these bills are fake man, I'm not takin these". And he goes "Ahh mang, the bank musta screwed me". I should have been pissed he tried to screw me but I was just glad I didn't get screwed bigtime.

By now the BS flag is through the roof. So I follow this kid "back to his friends house"...he gets in a Toyota down the street, I see this from afar. So I roll past him and he pulls the ghetto lean, seat all the way back so you can't see him. I park nearby and get his plates, and just wait.

He starts pokin his head up all sketchy like. After a few more minutes of this he drives away with his lights off.

I call up the local PD and report his plates, which match up to the car, turns out he's from a city nearbym but the most they can do is scare him since I didn't keep any of the bills.

The cop said he'd contact the Secret Service and see what they wanna do about it.

Cliffs: tryin to sell macbook, paid with counterfeit bills, i should have smashed him and placed him under citizens arrest, IBsecretservice busts him

2. slfmade

slfmade New Member

lol, they were only printed on 1 side? did they even feel real? that is pretty bad if he tried that

3. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

double-sided. the paper was like heavy printer paper.

i'll be honest the thought of getting fake bills on the way there didnt even cross my mind

4. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

Fake bills fall under the SS jurisdiction, no joke.

5. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

6. KuntryFresh

KuntryFresh Midwest

hahahahaha thats funny.

7. HaydenMac

HaydenMac Active Member

Secret service will legitimately look into this, and probably just to see if he's using someone else's handiwork or doing it himself.

shoulda taken the $ and run!

8. canIscream

canIscream Dog Crew is Best Crew

it's a sign you should keep it. or sell it to me for 100 dollars. and my money will be real.

9. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

good catch...

10. slfmade

slfmade New Member

yeah counterfeit bills are a serious thing. and there are some people that can make some really good counterfeits

11. kitty

kitty Uppity ass cat OT Supporter

:eek3:Damn! Good catch....and yeah, they don't joke around w/fake money:noes: Call back and see if you get a reward:coolugh:

p.s. I'll give you 101.00 for it(real money) or 11ty billion(fake):x:;)

12. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

well I called and they said they couldn't do much since i didn't keep the cash.

fastforward to the next day, turns out a kid got scammed just like me for a PS3, like 15 min earlier in the same spot! he accepted 650 in fake bills and actually took them, not knowing.

he ended up goin to deposit them the next day at a bank and he was arrested. they didn't believe his story but i got him off the hook since i got the dudes plates.

they ended up workin with the fbi and SS and they got a surveillance van. he was arrested the other night and i had to go id him at about 1:30 in the morning :(

oh well, i hope i don't have to go testify now :eek4:

13. bheld

bheld I'm paying you with your own money...

wow, nice work though. it was a good thing you called the cops. even though it was a pain in the ass you did something good. :bigthumb:

14. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

:eek3: Nice detective work!

15. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

AZn's on craigslist are bad mmmk?

16. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

:squint:

17. kitty

kitty Uppity ass cat OT Supporter

:eek3:WoW!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:for doing the right thing and not the lazy thing!! That poor kid would have gotten screwed twice!
    God, that guy owes you his life. Not to be overly dramatic, but he would have to put his arrest on every job app. pay for lawyers and who knows what else.:noes:
    You might want to post some of the info on Craigslists to see if anyone else got scammed.:hs:

18. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:cool: that kid will get fucked too, they take all of that shit seriously. there was a guy in my freshman dorm writing death threats on $1 bills and circulating him, and he got a visit from the SS :rofl: :Owned:

it's also a hilarious sight to see secret service dudes wandering around a dorm hallway trying to look inconspicuous, btw :rofl:

19. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:bigthumb: good fucking work dude! guess I should've read the whole thread :o

20. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

You should never show the macbook until the guy paid you. I always keep it in my trunk, until everything is ok. Second you got the email and shit right? SS take counterfeit seriously, so the kid only probably have a few hours before men in black shows up his door.

Secondly...is it a black macbook? I take it off your hands for 900? Heatware under Ariez. :big grin:

21. Ariez

Ariez OT Supporter

Just finished reading the thread and WOW. Good Job.

It also kinda fucked up the guy deposited the money unknowlingly and got fucked for it.