Eeeek... Check Engine light on 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by moose, Feb 28, 2003.

1. moose

moose Guest

Anyone know how seriously I should take this? Just from reading around I am having a hard time determining whether I should disconnect the battery and just reset the computer, wait to see if key cycles reset the warning light, or take it in to the Stealership and potentially get raped for what is possibly a non-problem.

Here's the rub: I just bought this vehicle two days ago, it runs like a dream, is in immaculate condition for an 83k and got a glowing review from my mechanic who inspected it, and now this. All on the eve of an extremely long haul from Richmond VA to NYC, and from there hauling a trailer to Boulder CO. Unfortunately, I don't know if I will have any real chance to get the vehicle checked out by a dealer if need be, but I want to see if I am fretting needlessly.

Thoughts?

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I'd disconnect the battery and cycle the computer first.

If it comes on you'll need to take it to a mechanic with a scan tool, not necessarily a dealership.

3. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I agree with Trishield. If the engine is running fine it is probably nothing big. My truck gets one every now and then for the exhaust gas. I know because I have a scan tool. I got mine from www.summittracing.com for I believe $120. All you do is plug it in, push scan and read the codes. It comes with a book which tells what the codes are and has a list of terms in it in case you don't know what some of the things are. All in all I'd recommend buying one.

4. moose

moose Guest

You guys rock. Thanks for the info. Just goes to show the regular OnTopic participants are a notch above the rest, eh? ;)
    I will probably head out to AutoZone and get a freebie diagnostic done and pick up a Haynes or Chilton as I'd rather fix these things myself whenever possible.

As an aside, what do you guys drive and what do you think of the ZJ Laredos? I got it because it has relatively few miles for what is roundly praised as a relatively reliable and trustworthy engine and drivetrain. One previous owner, a woman, and a teacher who has garaged it for the entirety of the vehicle's life. The interior looks like it has never been used for anything... ever. The one thing up in the air is the electronics. Any known issues as far as you guys know?

I'm not doing any off roading as of yet but I assume it won't take long once I have made the move to CO... :bigthumb:

5. Furner

Furner New Member

im prolly a lil late, but ill give my 2 cents
    the check engine light is an emissions feature, it will indicate errors with the emissions system
    mine is on because of a failing O2 sensor, autozone came out into the parking lot and read the codes for me

6. moose

moose Guest

No, you're not late, and all info is appreciated. I am researching the JeepsUnlimited forums and it would appear that most people just ignore these lights for the most part. Being a newbie to this vehicle I was of course a little panic attacked at first when the light came on.

Which O2 sensor was it on yours, and did you replace it on the spot?

I am planning on going to AutoZone once I get it back from having a trailer hitch and wiring installed.

Thanks!

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

mine coems on all the time i just ignaore it and it goes away

or if its in my beater i flick the dash and it suts off

8. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Thats why I got a scanner so I can check it when it comes on to make sure its nothing major. When I bought it I was having trouble with spark plug wires coming off. Since then I replaced my plugs and wires and stripped the head on one, figured it out once I scanned it. Being an OBD II it also comes in handy on my wifes car.

BTW Moose, I drive a '97 F150.

9. Furner

Furner New Member

it was BANK 1 SENSOR 2
    i bought the cherokee from my uncle (used car dealer) and he had the O2 sensors replaced before he sold me the jeep, so when i have time ill have him take it back to the mech and get it fixed right