eee pc Qs + wireless N Qs + dumb terminal Qs + SSD Qs roughly

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, Jun 3, 2008.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Do many of you have Eee PCs? Are they good stuff?

I'm thinking of getting one, getting Ubuntu on it (dual boot), and using it mostly for coming home from college with all my stuff in my own setup (my own stuff can be online, but my own setup not so, and I imagine SSH tunneling X11 over the net won't be too responsive? On that note, has anyone tried NoMachine's NX technology over the net?).

Does anyone use an Eee PC for using their main comp (via X11 or via VNC?) - what's the experience or what do you imagine it would be? Would it be slow on a G network - what about N? (new Eee PCs support N - see article below) How much is an N AP for home use roughly? Are they reliable enough at this point or affordable?

Because that could be an incendiary setup.

What's it like to work on? I think I'll go for a 10" screen as it's that bit less tedious. Would you code on it? Oh - in the Asus software can you get a terminal open, install some coding programs and code away? Or do I need to install Ubuntu? (may feel more comfortable in Ubuntu anyhow)

I intend that whenever I'm at home doing any mildly serious work I'll be hooking up to an external display - I'm informed they can't go above 1024x768 I think it is - I wonder can the new ones go above that to 1280x1024?

I wanna find a place in Dublin and try out these boyos (I'm not dumb to buy a quirky new thing like this and expect to use it for much without getting a very good feel for it).

for the new news on Eee PCs see http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4435

Can anyone guess right now when the next Eee PCs or price cuts will be rolling around btw? Because September is the earliest that I'm gonna NEED to spend, but I'm a tad bit excited :big grin:

Oh, SSDs finally. Writes damage them I'm informed. Will that make it an extremely bad choice for a programmer that will be compiling things? (I do know the CPU/RAM won't be all that appealing generally) Like, should I expect it to last at least just one year (and considering it will be used almost only on weekends) under mildly-extreme writing? I can still do compiling on another comp, but in any case.

Any help much appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

3. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they're worthless.