GUN Edumacate me WMD, new situation to me tonight

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dano, Nov 23, 2008.

1. dano

dano OT Supporter

I went to a bar/club where my friends were DJ'ing. They had a dude patting people down at the door wearing a 'Fugitive Recovery' t-shirt with a gun in an OWB holster. Had some sort of badge on his belt too. There was also a sign stating that guns/knives/etc would be confiscated if found. My friend there said the guy is a bounty hunter.

Down here in the hood, I on occasion will carry in to a place selling alcohol if I know I'm not drinking and feel the benefit outweighs the risk. The area the bar/club was in is a really, really shitty area of Detroit. I walked in there, saw the sign, put my gun back in my car, then came back in.

Say I walked in there with my gun on me, can they legally confiscate it if the dude patted me down and found it? I know establishments can post signs saying no guns allowed, but my best understanding so far has been only an officer of the law can take it away from you. Not really familiar with the authority bounty hunters have, but my impression has been they can really only affect the rights of those they're trying to locate (such as entering their property without a warrant).

This is a brand new situation to me here, so I'm not all that informed. Please clarify anything you can here. Thanks guys. :wavey:

2. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

Not sure what the deal is in MI, but in Texas you can't carry in a bar. If you tried to enter the bar and the bouncer confiscated it, then are you really going to call the cops or sue to get it back and admit that you were trying to carry illegally into a bar?

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'm guessing the most they could do is to deny you entry.

4. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Private place.... they can do pretty much whatever they want.

5. Admitted

Yes.

They can't take it from you forever. It was probably like a "coat check" thing.

6. dano

dano OT Supporter

Can't legally carry in a bar here either, but like I said, I go in knowing that and feel the benefit outweighs the risk. I wouldn't go in waving it around, but I'd rather have it and not need than need it and not have it in that area. Like the other day when I went to a post office down here in the evening which was in the same neighborhood. I didn't fear the post office, it was the walk to/from the parking lot across the street, so I carried it in.

7. dano

dano OT Supporter

They can deny allowing firearms, sure. You legally shouldn't even have it there so the sign is redundant, but are you saying they could take it and not give it back legally?

8. Admitted

No. They could deny you entry, or make you check it at the door. They can't take private property form you, that is stealing.

9. dano

dano OT Supporter

So the "will be confiscated" sign is complete bullshit and either designed to scare people from bringing weapons in, or if confiscation is their true intent they're breaking a law, if I'm understanding things correctly.

10. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Yes, they would be breaking the law.

11. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

they can't confiscate anything permanently

what they probably mean is they'll give you a claim ticket for it and you can get it back when you leave

ask them

12. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

the question is would you really want to give your personal fire arm to some one else for an extended period of time and you not knowing where it is? Sounds dumb to me.

13. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

:werd:

14. Admitted

15. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

And he wasn't a bounty hunter. Just a bouncer dressing up to try and intimidate.

16. dano

dano OT Supporter

The dude looked pretty old and rough, wouldn't have been a shock to me if he was.