GUN edumacate me re: FAL kits

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PanzerAce, Jan 22, 2008.

1. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

which ones are good, which ones should be avoided, and where can I get the former for a decent price?

2. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

basically there are 2 forms. First you really need to decide on what reciever you want to use. If your going to use a metric reciever (aka a small punched nub on the front of the mag) then you need a metric kit.

The one thing you also want to do is make sure you dont buy the unibrow ramp on some century recievers. They just have a couple of feeding issues. I personally like the South African kits but I am very biased because my father carried one into combat in the 70's

3. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

Anyone have the time to post everything needed to build one?

Been lusting after one of these for a long time and now that I have reloading capabilities it will be cheap enough to actually shoot :mamoru:

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

wtf. when did you start reloading?!

IN!

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Ok, so what is the difference between metric and inch kits? is one of them better than the other?

6. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

I'm not sure one is necessarily better than the other. Metric parts kits were more plentiful than inch when I put a rifle together a few years back. I know DSA is producing an inch receiver if you choose to go that route. It is something to consider if you wish to build a rifle that matches the FAL as issued in a particular military.

Here's a few links if you haven't seen them already:

Please note that this site hasn't been updated in years so the pricing and sources for parts listed there aren't current. The info is still good, though.
    http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01.html

This is another build documented on FALfiles.com. It is also kind of old but contains good information and pictures on a home-built FAL. Page links are to the left.
    http://wecsog.org/fal/carbine/

7. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

When my dad bought all of the equipment :mamoru:

8. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

thanks for the links. Personally, as long as the mags are cheap and I can get the parts to build and maintain the FAL, I don't really car if it matches what one country or another had. Personally, I just want a black synthetic furniture stock, the long flash hider, and the built in swiveling bipod :dunno:

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

like this but with a different flash hider:

[​IMG]

and refinished to look nice.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do g3 stocks and handguards swap on?

11. mephistopholes

After looking around a bit, most online shops are sold out on kits. Gunbroker has some listings and Falfiles should have some in their marketplace forum. It's a shame. A few years ago you could get a decent kit for $99.

BATFE saving us from ourselves again, I assume.

http://www.gunpartsguy.com/ shows some barrels in stock for both inch and metric rifles. He also sells quite a few parts but I couldn't find any kits available from him. You could put a rifle together like the one in the picture but you may have to locate the parts individually rather than going for a kit. That's not all bad as you can customize the rifle to your tastes.

You can use a spray and bake type finish or a parkerizing kit at home fairly easily to refinish the parts. Personally, I rather like the worn finish on the rifle in the picture. A clear finish could seal it up pretty well.

One thing about the picture. For some cruel reason, they spec'd this FAL with stamped sheet metal handguards. Directly underneath are the gas tube and the piston which become very hot during shooting which in turn heats up the handguard like a stove after a few rounds :noes:. Probably saved on ammo but not a nice trick to play on a soldier.

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I wish I knew how to build this stuff. I just bought a DSA :o

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

well, I found a place selling imbels for 300 + shipping. Good price?

14. ozwald

ozwald OT Supporter

you could prolly find an imbel in the $200 range

i got one from dans back in 03 for $129

15. ozwald

ozwald OT Supporter

no. 100% different weapon

which is why we cant get cheap imbel receivers anymore either, or kits with barrels

16. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

really? I haven't found them for less than that direct from a store yet, and all the GB auctions start at 300 :hsd:

17. mephistopholes

Back in '03 kits were plentiful and prices were low. Since then the BATFE decided to rewrite their regulations on demilling rifles for import. As ozwald wrote, the new rules ban the importation of foreign made receivers or barrels for the FAL, which are destroyed by the new demilling regulations. The BATFE confiscated the inventory of FAL parts kits from many of the surplus parts vendors. They did the same with PPSh-41 kits.