Educate me on VW line of cars and the whole diesel thing

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by England, Dec 28, 2009.

1. England

England New Member

I need to get a new car for the new year, and although we already have a mazda 5 2009, I need a decent size car for the family for road trips, toddler car seat and luggage.

I narrowed it down to VWs, from mazda, audi and subaru.

I like the 2010 Tiguan VW, the jetta and the passat and that includes the wagons.

But....I am worried about the diesel on some of them since the car will be outside sometime for hours during winter times that can drop to -30 or - 40 here.

I know you get more Torque with diesel, but the possibility of the car not starting during bad winter is a concern

What says you?

2. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Yes starting a Diesel in cold weather is a true consern. VW does have eng block heaters that you can buy. Tiguan is a nice little SUV might be better for you if drive in a area with lots of snow for ground clearance. Yes you do get more TQ from the Diesel but the best thing about the TDI is MPG. Driving a diesel is not as fun as a gas powared car because it's slower but MPG and reiablity is much greater. I know jetta tdi's get 800 miles per tank fill up were a jetta with a 2.5 might max about 420 per tank.

I have a 3.2 VR6 2006 VW Toureg in 06 they did not have the TDI option in the US they do now and I would buy a Diesel any day of the week over a Gas SUV.

I hope this helps.

3. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

Why not a subaru? Given those temps i'm assuming you'll see a lot of snow so AWD would be nice.

4. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

the problem with diesel is it gelling.. theres additives for that.
    And with an ECU reflash a diesel can be fast. Very Fast

My friends Ram 2500 4x4 diesel on 42s just smoked the shit out of a bunch of V8s in a mud drag and beat a Mazdaspeed3 at the drag strip./

5. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I do not consider a mazadaspeed3 to be fast

6. 2slow

2slow Member

OK, I might be seen to be biased since VW pays my wages, but I will give my 2cent's worth..... (I have been through a few diesels.)
    The older VW "Pumpe-Düse" diesels clatter a lot, especially when they're cold. I'm not too keen on them.
    The new VW "Common-Rail" diesels are SWEET!!! You will not know that you are driving a diesel, it's that smooth and no typical diesel rattle.
    I currently have a Passat CC with a 2.O TDI that makes 170 horses out of a 2 litre displacement. Many, many petrol engines don't make that power out of a 2 litre engine.
    My common-rail diesel stand outside all winter, I push the starter button and it starts. Always! Never had any problems with cold starting.
    My wife has a Scirocco 2 litre petrol... it's faster than my diesel, but not that much faster. In real life she has to fill up after 450 Km, I can go a 1000 Km (can do even better, but I'm talking about real-life driving).

To summarise, I am totally convinced by the common rail diesels. My next car will have a diesel again.

7. England

England New Member

So it kind of sucks that they don't do the Tiguan in diesel, but that means my options are narrowed down to wagon disel and Jetta diesel.

I still want to fill like am driving a smallish sedan, that also acts as a family car, so I might have to settle for the Jetta 2010 diesel. I was at the dealership today looking at them.

The entertainment package ones look good, is that something I can put in for cheaper after with aftermarket choices or am I better off getting it from the dealer?

We have a mazda 5 2009 as well, and am pissed that the player doesn't play mp3s on a cd :rolleyes:

What MOds have you guys done, or that you recommend to a VW jetta or any other choice, once I get it for aesthetics, performance and all that?

Thx

PS: pics of your modded VWs are welcome, interior and external

8. 2slow

2slow Member

In Germany just about every Tiguan on the road is a 2.0 TDI Diesel

9. England

England New Member

OK....but am in North America

10. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

for whatever reason they don't have nearly as many diesel vehicles available in the US. We are behind the curve for sure.

11. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

The second day I had my 2009 diesel Jetta it was -27C. The car started after the glow plugs were one for 5 seconds. It started with no problems.

The car now has 53,000 kms and the other day it was -19C and it started without an issue.

My 03 diesel started in as cold as -19C. There was an updated steel glow plug upgrade avail. It failed to start at -28C, but my buddies wife didn't know what a glow plug was and kept trying to start it without letting it warm up. It ended up killing the battery and with 300,000 kms on it, I just sold it.

Starting in the cold shouldn't detract you from the RARE time it won't start.

12. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

I had a 2001 Jetta TDi with and Upsolute chip in it, best car I've ever owned. Insane gas mileage. I really miss that car. I live in the south east US so cold starts were ever really an issue, but when it was it took the glowplugs about a min or so to warm up and I was good to go.

13. meervincent

meervincent New Member

they eat turbo's if not properly maintained. have seen quite a few shit out a turbo after 150k and the im and piping is so caked up you have less then 1/2 the orininal dia. but if you used the reccomended synthetic oil, use good fuel and maintain it they run forevers.

14. 2slow

2slow Member

Absolutely!

15. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

Just to toss a quick .02 in here...VW's customer service blows. In terms of said customer service they are unreliable, cheats and in general take copious amounts of pleasure from making your life difficult.

Avoid them.

16. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

For cold starts, get a deep cycle battery. Diesel is awesome, as those engines can last 400,000+ miles.

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If I were going to get one, I'd get a diesel Jetta Sportwagen. It's based on the A platform, which has the fewest chassis-related problems.