Educate me on smaller trucks.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by strubbe, Oct 17, 2006.

1. strubbe

strubbe New Member

Got in a bad accident a few weeks ago, car's totalled (97 Grand Am), should be getting around $3500 for it hopefully. What kind of smaller truck, in decent condition, could I get for around that much? I've been looking at Dakotas, high mileage Toyotas, S-10's, Rangers etc. Any advice? :x: Thanks.

2. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

i got my 99 ZQ8 sonoma for about that price

(zq8 is pretty much the xtreme without the ground effects)

3. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

I'd put a Toyota or Nissan at the top of the list. The Chevy trucks are pretty damn stout as well, Ford I've not had much luck with, Dodges I don't have much experience with..

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

about the only decent minitruck you can get for $3500 is gonna be an s10,s15. I think for the money, it's hard to beat a 4.3L dime. Especially if you can find a manual tranny!

5. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

what are your plans? a street truck, a 4x4?

6. strubbe

strubbe New Member

I'd love to be able to go offroading and stuff, but nothing major. I'm not into the lowered/pimped out/mini truck stuff at all. :hs: My cousin/Uncle both have Dodge's and have had great experiences with them. If I can't find a Toyota/Nissan for a reasonable price, I guess I'll look into the Chevy/Dodge market.

7. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

toyota

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

reading comprehension > you.

He'll get more truck for the money with chevy/gmc. His price range is not sufficient to get a decent truck from yota.

9. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

jollyogre got it right for this price range. Go for the 4.3l s-10, the auto is a pretty decent tranny tho isn't it ?? I thought it was the 4L60. Anyways, the s-10 will get you a pretty good truck, especially for that price range. A yota is a great truck but will run you around 6k for a good one.

10. affende

toyota.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

tranny varies based on year. The older dimes had a 700r4. Then they went to the 4L60E. It's not a horrible transmission, but not as reliable as the T5. The newer the 4L60E, the better, imo. For many years they had a defective valve body in the 4L60E that could lead to hard shifts, and eventual trans failure. It's kinda hit-or-miss. I've owned a t10 and t15, both auto trans. If I could have gotten stick, I would have! my t10 had the 4L60E go out at 75k. Put a new GM Goodwrench 4L60E in it and never had another problem (the GMGW trannys get a 100k warranty, and have all the new/upgraded junk on the inside.) My t15, on the other hand, has 155k on the original tranny and it's fine.

If you do look at an auto dime, then I'd recommend you pay attention to the tranny... Take it on a long drive, and get that tranny temp up high! That's the easiest way to see if it's got a problem... If the fluid is hot and you have a hard 1-2 shift, then walk away. If it seems okay, then there's no reason I wouldn't say go for it (for the right price, of course). Consider a fluid-change (should be done on any recently-purchased vehicle, anyway, imho) and doing the corvette servo upgrade. That seems to have a good track record of preventing problems in trannys that are not yet "fucked". Of course, once you get that hard 1-2 shift, you basically need to rebuild it.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sackride much? Show me ONE toyota he can get for $3500 or less. I will then show you a DOZEN s10/s15 trucks for the same price in BETTER condition, with LOWER miles, or MORE equipment.

Hey, I love toyota trucks. I've owned a few of em! But when it comes to used pricing, toyotas hold their value, which is NOT good in this guy's situation wanting a good truck on the cheap. That's where we have Chevy and GMC fitting the bill.

13. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

pre 1986 yota.. you won't get a better on/off road truck for the money.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I disagree. Yea they're cool rigs, yea they're solid axel, yea they're very reliable. However, that's only the 4x4 that's decent.... And finding one in GOOD condition for even close to that price is, well, impossible!

If you find a good condition SFA yota for that price range, let me know... I want to buy it.

It's hard to even get a 4cyl, high mileage, rusted, body-damaged, manual-everything, power-nothing SFA yota for that price range. It's stupid the money people want for em.

And that's also assuming he wants an offroad-specific vehicle to dump tons of cash into upgrading it for the trails... If it's even mostly onroad with some "fun" offroad then the s10/s15 is still the better choice. More power, more convenience, cheaper to maintain, easier to find parts for, etc, etc.

15. IslanderOffRoad

To me holding value is a good thing... imagine how worthless the S10 will be when he goes to sell it.

I've owned one. It was a good truck, but selling it was tough as there are too many of them, and nobody wants to buy a modded used truck when they can get a stock one for next to nothing.

I agree on the 4L60E problems, check the radiator as well, mine rusted out becuase of the dexcool problem, that sucked coolant into the trans cooler and rusted the trans out becuase water got in it.

16. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I'm gonna agree with the S-series here. As a proud owner of a 1985 S10 Ext cab with a 2.8 V6 and 700R4 with 265,000 miles on it, I'll even recommend you DON'T get one with a 2.8 in it. :mamoru: Go for the 4.3 and the 5 speed. Much more reliable. Oh, and get an extended cab if you are tall. Nothing like having plenty of room in a small truck.

17. strubbe

strubbe New Member

Thanks for the info fellas. I'll look into the Chevy's. :cool: I don't plan on going offroad much at all, just screwing around and having some fun while camping etc. :hs: This is more of a daily driver/hauler than anything.

18. affende

check into the older 4runners. great trucks with good road manners....and better resale than most other vehicles of its era.

19. strubbe

strubbe New Member

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Keep it. It's something that will last forever if you take care of it. Then when you get a new daily driver, do something like a SAS on the s10 (of course I always recommend 4x4).

Sure, but with his budget he shouldn't be looking for a truck to turn around and sell quick...

21. strubbe

strubbe New Member

Anyone know if all Comanche's are 4x4, or are some 4x2 or whatever? :o

22. affende

i believe all MJs are 4x4...

23. IslanderOffRoad

There are 2WD MJ's as well.

24. strubbe

strubbe New Member

Going to check it out tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out for certain then. :hs:

25. strubbe

strubbe New Member

Well I checked it out today, and it looks pretty damn good. Small bits of rust here and there, but nothing major. Interior's in good shape, as is the engine bay. Drove nice and smooth on the highway around 75 mph. Will need some brake work, but that's about it right now. :bowdown: