GUN Educate me on shotguns........

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 86 Bird, Jul 5, 2006.

1. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

Ot gun crew educate me on shot guns, I've been around rifles and pistols alot but never really shotguns:hs:
    I'm wanting to pick a shotgun for addition to my home protection but I also wanna try to shot some skeet, If I liked it and wanted to shot alot I would buy a skeet gun but I was wondering is there a shotgun/'s that you can change the barrel to use for both? And thats not time consuming or doesnt cost a shit load?

~edit~ I'll be back later on tonight to check

2. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

you can change the barrels on an 870

3. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I was in the same exact boat.

Mossberg has a Field/Security Combo (Combo #54169). Comes with a 28" barrell, good for skeet/hunting. The other barrell is 18 1/2", ideal for home defense. It's a 12 gauge, pump action, and included with all this is a pistol grip set(see this thread: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2631576 ).

I had to special order it from a store here locally because no one carries it in stock, but it can be had. I got it for around $250, which isn't too bad.

So, I would go with that, or get a Remington 870 with whatever length you want for hunting/skeet and then get an 18" barrell for home. The Mossy will probably end up being cheaper.

4. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

I bought a mossberg 500, its a decent shotgun, did the knoxx specops stock in search of recoil reduction for heavier loads- then I got a benelli, the inertia driven recoil reduction systems on a benelli are just as effective as the specops (thats why they do not make them for benelli....) and craftsmanship/overall precision of a benelli is unmatched

I say spend the extra money, dollar for dollar a benelli shotgun is as expensive as a HK pistol (and i see some of you buying those)

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

Yeah, Remington has a similar combo deal for 870's, I think 20" and 28" barrels. The 870 combo IS significantly more expensive than the Mossberg combo. If you're sure you want both barrels then definitely get the combo regardless of brand, since barrels are expensive to buy stand-alone.

The barrel takes all of 2 minutes to change on an 870, unscrew the mag tube end-cap/extension, replace the barrel, and screw the cap/extension back on. I can't speak to the Mossberg, but I would imagine it is similar.

6. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

can't go wrong either way. Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are the standard for pumps. You can get semi autos for more money but harder to interchange barrels. Also with the 500/870 you have endless accessories.

About the only difference between the two is the location of the controls.

7. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I have a Remington 870 Express with a 28" barrel. I mainly use it for trap. Too long to make it practical for home defense.
    Barrels cost too much extra for me to get one. I have plenty of other guns to defend myself with.

(Not that I really need to in my town)