GUN Educate me on shotguns.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Valence, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I got a Mossberg Maverik 12-Ga. 28-In. Synthetic stock shotgun for graduation. I'd always wanted a 12 guage and now I got it. I've shot it some...
    Now I need to be informed on cleaning kits, ammo, care, chokes... everything basically
    I've got a rough idea

Also when shooting it felt as if sometimes when i squeezed the trigger nothing happened, and I had to eject the shells, toggle between safety and off safety, and then it would fire :dunno: I'm the only one it has done it to...

How would I overcome a flinch problem? I've never owned a firearm with this much power, and that - coupled with the problem with not firing all the time makes me flinch when I'm about to pull the trigger, it seems like I might never know when it will fire when the trigger is pulled..
    This could all be my imagination

2. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Ultimately I'd like to shoot slugs for fun though I don't think I can't use this barrel for that. A shorter rifled barrel with fiber optic sights would be kinda :cool: for fun shooting

and best for the consumer self defense /kennyrodgers

3. AUFred

AUFred New Member

There are variety of aftermarket chokes available. BassProShops carry them as do other on-line stores. Modified is a good midrange choke. Tighter chokes will extend your range but narrow your pattern. If shooting at moving objects short range, improved cylinder or skeet choke is a good option. There are sabot slug chokes available I believe, which would be cheaper than a new barrel and almost as accurate. Slugs are not known for great accuracy.

Flinching is not that unusual. Google some info on target shooting and follow the instructions on squeezing the trigger and not snatching it.

4. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

That'd be a major concern for me. If it's not user error, like you not pushing the forearm forward hard enough or something, I'd get it checked out pronto.

Is it used or new?

5. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

A rifled choke will come no where near a fully rifled slug barrel in terms of accuracy. And there are accurate slug guns, they just cost out the ass. :hs:

6. AUFred

AUFred New Member

I was refering to normal usefulness for the average shooter.
    Accuracy beyond 100 yards is acheiveable but expensive.
    I was also trying to offer a less expensive or complicated option ie he could still use it for other uses without disassembling it.

7. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

it's new