GUN Educate me on safes

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ford4Life, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Been looking around at safes, but still undecided. I have been researching most of the brands, for the price it looks like Liberty, Cannon etc, etc have pretty shitty body thickness and something you could chop through with an axe pretty quickly. The Amsec BF series looks semi-ok, thicker side walls and 1/2 plate steel door, and uses a concrete composite fire resistant material. Cost is around $3k or so. I prefer something that is plate steel, as I will be storing items other than guns that do have some value, and not a shitty residential security container. The upper end Ft. Knox do have a little bit thicker body, but for the price it didn't seem super impressive.

I'm having a hard time finding a "real" safe. I looked at Graffunder's website, they look nice, but no mention of cost. Anybody know what these safes typically cost? I was looking at a C rated. They don't have any dealers around my area. :(

I did some shopping at some locksmiths, there isn't shit in the used market either. I was looking for maybe a bigger Molser or Diebold, can't find any. Anybody have expierence with the Amsec BF series, or know a price range on the B and C model Graffunders? My budget can go as high as $6k.

Advice appreciated.

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Graffunder's start around $5000 if i recall.

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I've been doing some research myself. The consensus among professionals is to look at safe manufacturers that make gun safes rather than gun safe manufacturers.

There is a guy on THR that owns a safe business and highly recommends the Amsec BF series in the $2-3k range. The problem with safes under about $4k is they are pretty much all UL RSC rated safes.

There is an online shop that has the Amsec RF6528 for ~$5k and its TL-30 rated. http://www.safes4you.com/store/gunsafes/amsec/hs_series/rf6528/rf6528.html

Graffunder makes nice stuff. You will have to contact a dealer about pricing.

4. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

IMO, if you aren't going to buy one of the rated safes (not RSA's) - then I wouldn't spend more than $1000. if a crook is determined enough to go against a $2,500 Fort Knox glorified RSA and get through, save your cash and buy a $800 RSA and save the $2000 for a real safe. You will give yourself enough protection for break and enter and save up for the real safe

5. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

$5k for a C rated, or is that a B rated?

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

This is where I'm at. I'm not spending $2-$3k on a glorified sheet metal locker. Ft. Knox does have a couple higher end models with better specs, but the price is in the $4k range, and for that I can look at real safes. I want the real deal

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

these guys sell a range of safes, try calling them http://www.thompsonsafes.com/

they have graff's and amsec

let us know the prices if you do call :o

8. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I know it probably doesn't need to be said but bolt it down.

9. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

What do those of us renting/leasing do if we can't drill into the foundation or walls?

Should we drop serious coin on a good safe or just get a decent safe as a temporary solution until we get our own house and bolt down a nice model?

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Cut small "X"'s in the carpet, drill :o

11. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

It is easy to bolt down into slap foundation if renting without leaving any permanent reminders that it was there, if there is carpet over it.
    You can also bolt it to studs in the wall, while not as secure, a few 3'' bolts will provide a good amount of resistance to pulling it over. Some spackle/ putty and paint fixes that easily.

12. Jurisbot Esq.

What they don't know doesn't hurt them. :bowdown:

13. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i mean, drilling concrete is a bit loud, but meh :o

14. Jurisbot Esq.

I'll be in a house and the owner will be miles away.

15. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

If bolting isn't an option, put the safe in a really awkward location such as a small closet. If there's no room to knock it over and no room to move a breaker bar around it will be harder to open.

I agree with what's been said. Unless you're getting the real thing, it just a fancy looking metal locker. Fire rating is pretty worthless in the medium to low end because fires last longer than they will be rated for. You're guns will be stuck in a steam room for several days while you try to get to it and get it open (rust).

The main disadvantage to the fancy metal lockers is that they're not difficult to find and give you a clear target if you are looking to spend some time.

16. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i have a semi walk in closet that is big enough to throw a daytona "build it yourself" safe into, it is big enough to walk into, but it is small enough so you couldn't knock the safe over and go to work on it, nor can you shimmy it out the door.

perfect place for a safe like that, hard to get into even if it isn't the best safe in the world.

once i get a house, graff or amsec all the way :o

17. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I sent an email to Graffunder about pricing, if they give me any info I'll post it.

18. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

If a small closet isn't an option put it where the door opens into the room and the opening is in a corner. I hope that makes sense. My idea involves bolting it down though. :hs:

19. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

My friend works for American Security hookup ftw

20. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

if you live in an apt and are slick enough, you might even be able to get away with building a false wall of the sort to put the safe in.

stick the safe in the corner, get some 2x4s and build a wall around it, throw up some dry wall, blend it into the wall. cut a flush door over it in the dry wall, then just cover it up with a plant or something to make it blend in. you can do that on the cheap.

they will go looking in closets for safes, do something like that in your living room, no one would be the wiser

21. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I got a $2100 Safari (Canon) safe for $1200 shipped, on Ebay because it had some "repaired scratches." You have to look *really* close to see anything. Its 60-min fire rating should be okay by an exterior wall, I think.

Edit: I like the idea of a false wall though; I may implement that in my next place when I get back from Korea. :o