GUN Educate me on Rock Island Armory 1911's

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jhegro, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

i want a RIA tatiCOOL version. good choice? bad choice? is there better for the money? spend more and get a springfield GI, STI Spartan, Taurus 1911?

its attractive because its right around 400 bucks. and its a 45.

what to do?

(should i just get a 400 dollar 9mm? im open to anything besides a glock)

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

$100 more get a G21/30

RIA seem pretty decent for a base 1911, if you got the money to spend on one the STI's are very nice, I already have a basic colt if I were to buy a 2nd 1911 STI would be up there on my list.

3. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

I wish i liekd glocks. but my shooting is absoutly horrid with it. i think its the grip angle.

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

for a base 1911 i would get a springfield armory GI. want something a little better: mil-spec. better than that: loaded

just my $0.02 :dunno:

5. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I like my Stainless full size GI Springfield. I've heard some good and a good bit of not so good about the RIAs from people who have them out at the range I go to. Spend the extra and get a Springfield.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Out of the 3 "alternatives" you listed. It's not even rite placing the STI in the company of a Taurus or a GI model. I know it's merely there because it's roughly in their price range. But if you were to take them apart and compare fit/finish and parts, they wouldn't hold a candle to what's offered in the STI.

In that price point, the STI is head an shoulders above the rest and is one of the best bang for the buck in a 1911 .45 under $600, period.

It's also built on an S70 frame, no brainer.

7. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

actually, the STi is built on the armscor/RIA frame.

and whast the deal with the nylon trigger on them?

8. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

From reading around on 1911 forums, I've heard that the RIAs are very decent for the price.
    I'm interested to see what WMDers have to say, I'd really like to pick up a $300 or so RIA for a first 1911.

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

blindarrow has one. pm him

10. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I have a RIA 1911 that I love. If my *old* smith hadn't have f'd up the dovetail install I'd still be shooting it regularly. Their warranty is top notch too.

11. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Also, anyone know of a place to buy these online with good prices that will ship to CA?

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yeah, I know. But the parts they put in them is what seperates them apart. Surprisingly, all of the more respectable outfits that reviewed the Spartan, all gave them a big thumbs up, stating the fit and finish was very good. I have not read a review that did not favor it, as a matter of fact.

Basically, it's a Armscor Frame and slide, with all STI internals.

The STI Trigger is not what you would expect, don't be fooled with it being Nylon. They could probably offer the Spartan at $800, and it would still be a good buy.

13. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Just stumbled across this.

I love mine. Great gun for $400. I think mine was like $420 with transfer fees and everything (bought in GA, I live in TN).

If you're looking for just a basic 1911, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. You may experience feed problems with ammo, but it's nothing that a little quick polishing (or a different mag at worst) won't fix.

I'm at about 1500 rounds through mine without any real major problems.. feeding is the only issue I've had, and it's fixed now (polished the ramp). I keep mine loaded with HPs and on the nightstand for home defense.

IMO, they're damn good, especially for the money. I didn't need or want some fully tricked out 1911.. I just wanted a regular 1911. It does that very well, and if I ever want to upgrade it, no problem.

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I love my RIA 1911, I bought it a year ago at a fun show (got it for 330 before all the fees that get tacked on), it always goes bang when I pull the trigger, no FTF or FTE. I did have one concern about it. When you pull only the trigger on a 1911 it should stop, then when you depress the grip safety it should "surge" backwards, after the surge if you release the grip safety it should stay depressed. Failure to behave in this manner suggests that instead of being stopped by the grip safety the trigger is actually resting on the sear of the gun. It didn't matter to me because I bought the gun strictly for range use meaning the only time a magazine was in the gun let alone a round was in the chamber was when the gun was at the range on the firing line, plus I bought the gun to use as a base to build upon. When I starting thinking about using it as a carry (which I haven't yet) I replace then entire trigger assembly with wilson combat parts, trigger, hammer, grip safety, mainspring, hammer strut, sear and disconnector were all replaced (the only OEM part that is going to get replaced soon is the thumb safety) and the trigger track was smoothed out as well (I've still got a little to go on it, but its much better)

Cliffs: I love mine, had a problem because I didn't full inspect (or know what I was looking for) when I bought it, but the problem was a safety issue that only mattered if there was a round in the chamber, I fixed it by replacing the firing mechanism (I'd been planning on doing it) If you do choose to buy one full inspect it and know what you are looking for.

I learned how the trigger was supposed to behave my viewing a video called "AGI 1911 45 auto Armorer course" which if you do not want to buy you can find on some popular torrent sites. Its a good resource to have regardless.

15. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Good for the price, but from my understanding they used cast steel as opposed to forged (like SA, Taurus and the rest). I chose a PT1911 for my first 1911, got it for ~$575 OTD. It has many things that would be considered "upgrades" for a very good price (IMO).

When I got it, the sights were way out of whack. After fixing them, I am more accurate with it than any of my other guns. I would recommend the gun to anyone looking for a very nice 1911 without the $1K+ price tag.

16. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I want a S&W 1911. But the one I want is at least $700, and at most $1,000.
    All money I do not have, lol. :wtc: