Educate me on late 80's and early 90's Supras

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by KDXman, May 13, 2006.

1. KDXman

KDXman New Member

the turbo ones, i dont have the time to turbo one my self but im looking at them and just was wondering about reliablility,peoples personal experiences, fun factor etc

2. kick7you

kick7you New Member

they suck ?

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

That helped a lot... thanks for your input.

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

The 7M-GTE seems to be a rather underrated engine. It doesn't make power quite as readily as the 2JZ, but it has potential. I know a former MkIII Turbo owner who I believe was making somewhere in the neighborhood of 450hp without doing any major work on the bottom end. It's fairly heavy stock, but there's a lot of things that can be stripped.

Reliability depends on how far you mod it, and obviously other factors like mileage and maintenance . I think they are solid enough for a turbocharged car of that vintage. Better than a DSM certainly.

Fun factor depends on what you want... Supras should appeal to people who like power and shitloads of grip, but not to people who like tight, flickable sports cars.

5. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede New Member

A couple things you definately have to watch out for, first is the head gasket and then the vavle cover gaskets. Toyota didn't get the torque specs right for the head gasket, so the best thing you can do once you get one is re-torque the head. There's a how-to on Supra Forums.

As for the vavle cover gasket, simply replace the bolts on them. The best thing to use is an allen head bolt with some Loc-Tite, and a lock nut on the bottom. And also get rid of the stupid rubber washers they use and get some lock washers.

Other than that, the turbo model is a great car. I've owned two of them, and would buy another in a heartbeat if I had the money.

6. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Sounds like somebody can't wait for the new Fast and the Furious :ugh:

7. KDXman

KDXman New Member

im just trying to get a feel for what the car is like. im not such a huge fast and the furious fan, amusing to watch every now and then though

8. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

you're a fucking idiot and will end up getting killed by shotgun welding 18wheelers truck drivers.

9. KDXman

KDXman New Member

i doubt it

10. SupraMan1990

SupraMan1990 New Member

What do you want to know? Only 2 real issues are blown head gaskets and rod knock. BHG is because Toyota torqued the head wrong as stated before. Rod knock is because owners don't pay attention and let their oil level drop too much. So as long as you keep the oil level up its fine. I own an 87 N/A as we speak so if you need anything else just PM me.

11. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Sounds like he wants a leet drifter car.

12. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

wth is with the f'n'f comments? if he wanted a drift car, he might have mentioned it, and then he'd be pointed towards something else.

13. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

He must have deleted it, but he made a post asking "How easy is it get the back end loose?"

Either way, any RWD car, especially turbo, is gonna be easy to get loose.

14. Siblack

Siblack Old Member

supraforums.com

15. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

he did, the fucking dumbass kid asked "how easy tyte is it to break the back end loose yo!"

16. KDXman

KDXman New Member

if i wanted a drifter car i would get a 240SX but i dont, i want something that might be able to handle too and if the back end is all over the road and its only good in a straight line then im not goign to bother

17. mattsmall

mattsmall New Member

the 7m-gte has a major issue.... BHG ( blown head gasket ) i had my 87 mk3 for 2 years and i replaced the head gasket twice with a metal one, 20psi on a t70. i would say a DSM is more reliable.

18. psyphre

psyphre User #58, OG ftw. XBL/IG - davzilla77

well, that explains it.

19. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

you're such a freaking noob. save your allowance money and everyone else on the road by getting yourself a geo metro.

you're going to be just like that jacko who bought his turbo 240sx only to total it in a week later b/c he went dorifto on the highway and almost went straight into oncoming traffic.

20. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

No no no, he hit standing water at like 50 mph

21. KDXman

KDXman New Member

nga plz

22. RM777

RM777 3L: The Last Year of Freedom.

First of all, the BHG is the biggest problem with the 7M motors. Secondly, the cars are going to be 14-20 years old. Shit is going to break. Thirdly, learn how to work on the car yoursel, or you will get raped by shops. Supraforums.com or Supramania.com are very good resources. I have had my 89T for almost 5 years. In this time I have replaced the headgasket. Everything wlse that I have to fix has been general wear and tear things. The car has about 175k miles on it and I have had a lot of fun with it. Excellent car in my opinion.

23. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Jay Dee Ehm FTW

24. aznxplayer

aznxplayer dying in a fire

quoted for lies. supra is heavy sir, not easy to break loose. even with a turbo. :hs:

25. patina

patina OT Supporter

First of all, don't listen to Kroze. He's a moron with a 06 Civic (with gps!!!11!oneone!)

Secondly, the MKIII Turbo is a very fun car IF it is treated well. The main problem, as most people have stated, is the head gasket. It will blow if it hasn't already. Small parts will break and the 7M, while being a very capable motor of making big power, is not very reliable. I would look for a 1JZ or 2JZ swapped MKIII if I were going to buy one.

Huntzor, My buddy Jon just bought a 7M MKIII that has 540rwhp. I believe it came out of Marco Djuric's shop. It is very fast and he is in love with the car.

Overall the cars are very capable but not very reliable.