Educate me on KVM switches

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by o2, May 8, 2007.

1. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

I know its used to control multiple computers from 1 keyboard.... but Im fuzzy about the details. How would a desktop version benefit me in a home environment with multiple computer setups. Basically I was hoping I could control my main PC and home theater PCs with a single (wireless) keyboard and mouse. Can I achieve this with a KVM switch (lets say this 1 - http://www.freedom9.com/products/product.php?p=4#)?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

well, it will save deskspace for one thing. you could have one computer doing something processor intensive like dvd encoding and switch over to another

however, for me i have no need for it, i just use ultravnc and remote desktop into a couple of other computers. it essentially does the same thing as a kvm switch, but it's virtual and free and has some shortcomings, like not being able to get into bios configs etc

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

wireless mouse will NOT work, but a wireless keyboard does
    odd, i know, but i've gone through it several times

i keyboard and mouse and monitor to control 2, 4, or more pc/server

4. o2

How does keyboard work and not mouse? Its usually a single USB key-type thing that connects to both.

5. keleko

keleko yes, he is

no, it's ps/2 keyboards/mice always

a very few models like mine, a belkin, has usb (and sound)

6. o2

It seems most switches are designed for single/dual monitor setups. My main PC will have 3 monitors, my home theater PC will have 1 lage monitor. The only thing I wanna do is share the keyboard/mouse, so I could control everything from it.

7. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Very few models my ass. Go to TigerDirect or Newegg and you'll find a bunch of them.
    Next you'll tell him they only work with VGA monitor connections.

@o2
    I don't see why you shouldn't be able to connect only keyboard and mouse without getting the monitor involved.

Just remember this, the main PC and the one you're using for your home theater they have to be close to each other...well close enough for the games to reach.

There is another way to do it using software via your home network, but I would think there the monitor(s) would have to be included.

As for why the wireless mouse wouldn't work, using USB it should work just fine. The keyboard and mouse use the same receiver which plugs in via USB, so I don't really see the problem there.

8. o2

I would need about 15 feet of cable to reach the HT PC from the switch. What kind of cable do I need to run? A standard USB?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I call BS. All KVMs I've used work fine with wireless.

10. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

15feet should be fine.
    I might suggest a switch that don't have the cables attached, and you get the cables you need if the it doesn't come with any or if they are too short.

@keleko
    Here's a site targeted for KVMs and a whole page of just a bunch of USB KVMs.
    Very few USB KVMs....what the hell is wrong with you.
    http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/usb-kvm-switches.html

11. keleko

keleko yes, he is

:dunno:

mine doesn't, and several others i tried don't
    :(

ok, so maybe there's more now, but when i went looking last time, there weren't that many

12. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I know it sounds like sort of the opposite, but I can plug both of my main computers into my Dell 2407 at the same time.

So I can have different stuff runninig on each computer, and just by touching a front panel button on the Dell, go over to the other computer to see how things are running.

They both need to have their own keyboard and mouse that way, but you could run
    a wireless setup on your main build, or both builds, for that matter.

13. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

And how long ago was that?

I've got a friend that says since buying his LCD monitor he won't buy another saying "...because of color bleeding and ghosting..." Yeah and he ignores the fact that is LCD monitor has a 20ms response time and was made in 2002. If he had been paying attention, LCD have already come a long way since then.

14. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Yeah I half thought about getting a Sceptre LCD monitor that can do the same. It was the size and price that made me get the other monitor I picked out. The fact that the Sceptre logo on the front that lit up a bright blue was one of it's down points.