GUN Educate me on 1911's

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Crossett, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Crossett

Crossett New Member

I've ordered a 5" Rock Island 1911

Tell me what parts I need to upgrade

Beaver tail? Trigger? Hammer? Barrel?

I need your help WMD crew...

2. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

Take it to a good gun smith and have the trigger worked on if its not to your liking.

Otherwise order whatever parts that fit you well. I ordered different grips, magwell, surefire x200 (railed), and wilson combat mags for Kimbers. The rest of the gun is great.

In my experience 10 round mags are hit and miss. My friends kimber CPD jams with the 10rd mags, but not with my WC 8rd mags. But my TLE/RLII would fire anything and everything without problems.

3. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I've heard that the RIA's are picky about mags, stick with Wilson Combats and there should be no troubles. If you have any kind of feeding issues, and you are sure that it's not the ammo, have the feed ramp polished. Otherwise, it's all about preference. About the only thing that I really care to change on mine are the grips, I just haven't looked hard enough to find any I like. I also let someone shoot the gun, and they got bit by the hammer. That's never happened to me, but if it happens to you than the beavertail would take care of that problem. I'm happy with the trigger on mine, I have no desire to mess with it.

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Really they need nothing to fire FMJ acuretly just fine. I did a ramp polish and an 18 lb recoil spring and mine feeds Gold Dot's 100%. I did do other parts for personal reasons, for my big hands a beavertail/hammer was nessesary as I kept getting hammer bite.

Now i've done a few things, hammer/beavertail, trigger job, trigger, XS Bigdots, grips. And I've also found that Wilson Mag's work great, although the Metalform FBI mag I've got functions great, I just like the extra round.

5. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I have run wilson mags and they are great. But the new hotness is Chip McCormicks with Tripp kits.

6. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I forgot to mention that I hate the sights on my Rock, i need to get around to replacing them

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

While you're at it, you should replace the whole gun :dunno:

8. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Shoot it right out of the box and see how you like it. You really don't need shit on a GI style 1911 for it to function well and be accurate. The RIAs and the Springfield GI45s are good functioning weapons as they are. Only reason I modified my GI45 was just to play and see what I could do myself but for a true combat weapon a base model with a set of night sights and a ramp polish would be my preference over any of those $2000 overtuned money pits.

9. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i shot my first 1911 today, it was fucking great. I'm going to skip a 9mm and go directly to 45.

10. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

And i'm willing to bet that maybe 2% of all of OT can shoot that good. Not saying everyone's bad shots, but most all guns are WAY more acurete than humans can shoot them, especially considering a combat type weapon.