GUN Educate me about mace

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Dec 23, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

There are certain situations me and my girl are in, such as on a college campus where firearms are prohibited, but mace is not, so anyone have links to reliable reviews and comparisons, or brands that they would recommend?

I know a decent bit about firearm, but next to nothing about mace and the various types available or even the terminology.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

fox labs pepper spray, buy it

3. Yodelayhehoo

Yodelayhehoo OT Supporter

seconded

4. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

An old article on the topic:

6. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Excellent post there. I wonder who wrote it tho? :) There are actually lots of places that offer good civilian/defense type OC courses.

I don't carry OC all the time, but do keep it in a few places, and will when my dress allows. Fox 5.3 for me.

7. WiseOne

WiseOne roter Teufel

after you spray dont rub your eyes :hsugh:

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

thank you, I prefer to know why I making a decision or what a recommendation is based on. :bigthumb:

anyone have a rule of thumb for how long a can should serve as a carry item before rotating it out?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  9. Basic

Basic OT Supporter

now when deciding on pepper spray which would you go with fog, foam or stream?

10. WiseOne

WiseOne roter Teufel

When it comes to Mace,nothing beats Iron

[​IMG]

11. smartypants

smartypants New Member

The can will have an expiration date on it.
    Concur with fox labs. Also concur with cone pattern.

12. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

FOX LABS PEPPER SPRAY. Anything other is less than.
    http://defensedevices.com/worhotpepspr.html

I personally carry fox labs 2 oz. 'cop top' in a holster on my side every day. I don't leave home without it, especially when i'm working.

fox labs is available in a few different configurations:

[​IMG]
    ^ the typical sizes of canisters of fox labs is 2 oz, 3 oz, 4 oz. 2 oz is MORE than enough spray, its a lot really. 3 and 4 is just big and excessive unless you're a police officer.

[​IMG]
    ^ that is an example of their 'flip top' canister, in which you have to flip a plastic shield out of the way to get to the discharge button. They use a flip top in this video, too: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tYY4A9tAZLQ

[​IMG]
    ^ and that is an example of their 'cop top', just press the red button.

of course, theres 3 different spray patterns, stream, fog/cone, and foam:

- fog/cone range is the most effective (it effects the assailants respiratory system faster since its vaporized), but also the most problematic. Range is 10 feet. The biggest problem is the risk of 'blowback', blowing back into your face. If its windy outside, don't even bother spraying it. Not to mention if you ever spray it, get away from it fast or you will also be feeling the effects. Good for multiple assailants though.
    The video posted above would be a good example of a fog/cone pattern: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWGS4qrBCNE

- Forget about foam unless you work in a correctional facility of something. Foam was designed for very close quarters. Not to mention its typically less effective than stream or fog.

- Stream is just about perfect for the typical person. Range is 15 feet. Minimal risk of blowback. When you think of 'stream', you probably imagine some little squirt gun-like pissant stream of pepper spray. thats not the case with fox labs :bowdown:
    I think this video pretty much says it all about stream: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tYY4A9tAZLQ

Try to stay away from the keychain pepper sprays if you can, even the fox labs ones. the streams are weak, to say the least, and they're usually not that hot.

My personal suggestion would be a fox labs 2 oz. stream spray flip top. Get the 'cop top' if you're only gonna wear it on your side in the holster. Otherwise, get the flip top. Flip top is great when you just want to throw it in your pocket, and you can still wear it in the holster if you want.

when you buy the pepper spray, just spray it for half a second to make sure it works and get a feel for it.

they have an expiration date on the bottom, but you're good for at least 2 years.

for the typical person, stream is perfect. fog is slightly more effective, but completely useless if the wind is blowing (it will end up in your face). also, if you spray a fog, you better clear the area fast, or you will be feeling it too. And foam is pointless unless you work in corrections and will be spraying it into a jail cell or something.

DWI, you never did say what state you live in?

Its a little long but I hope this helps :hs:

edit: dont bother with that mean green shit either

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  13. Basic

Basic OT Supporter

great info thanks :bigthumb:

14. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Wow. An OT thread with actual good information. Somebody take a picture!

I like cone but cone or stream is fine. Fox 5.3 or ALS Top Cop are the best in my opinion. Replace your spray (just use your old can for a tester) every year or so. High heat can cause the can to leak.

If you ever use it you should expect to get some cross contamination so knowing its effects on you in advance is advisable.