WEB EDU: You want to make money online but you dont know how to get started?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drpepper, Aug 2, 2007.

1. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

You see a lot of threads on OT on how many Oters are making a lot (or little) of cash just by having a website and throwing ads on there. You want a piece of the pie too right? Well, the good news is, you can. The bad news is that you started late and you will need to work harder for this to work.

Making money online via ads on your site is not easy, and can be downright daunting. Yes, you can start a blog and throw some adsense on it and just hope people will click on ads. Unforturnately it doesn't work like that. Here are some tips on how to get started making money online.

Pick a niche

Basically, what do you want your site to be about? What are your interests. Do you want to blog about video games, movies, politics? Or do you want to host images for others, or even setup a proxy? Pick something and run a google search. For example, say you pick a niche on plasma tv's. Googling 'plasma tv' gives you over 20.4 million results. That means this niche is over saturated. Your keywords on google will rank too low to get noticed. Generally try and shoot for a niche that brings in a less than 1million results. Googling 'sexy gerbils' brings in about 144 thousand results. That might be a good niche. But you probably arent retarded. So, find something that has less than a million hits, and get your keyword up to the top!

Get a name.
    After you pick your niche, regestering a domain name is your next step. Regestering a domain is easy, getting a great domain is tougher. Find a name that relates to your niche. A lot of good domain names are taking, so be patient and get one that suits you.

Get hosted.
    Find a webhost. Find a paid host. Free hosting companies are great for that odd school project, or your online archive of photos. But it's not so great for a site that's trying to generate some income. Also, the webhosting industry is an industry where the saying 'you get what you paid for' strongly applies.

Start writing/coding/designing.
    This section is pretty much self explanatory. Start creating your content. If you are starting a blog, start writing articles. Post, and post often. Just make sure you stick to your niche. Straying away from your niche is one of the worst things you can do in blogging. A great blogging platform is wordpress. This is really simple to install and use. Your webhost might have CPanel which might enable you to install wordpress with one click. If you are starting another type of website, design it and code it. If you dont know how to code, there are many templates available on the web for you to modify and change to your liking.

Monetize your site.
    If you have an image host, proxy, or similar type of site, you can start adding advertising right away. Sites that offer a service usually get visitors that are expecting ads. A service needs to be paid for somehow right?
    Now, if you have a site that contains actual reading content, wait on the ads for a few weeks, even months. Build up a readership first. New comers don't want to see ads plastered everywhere. Build some trust with your readers by offering them some great content, and an ad free environment for a while.

Market your site.
    Add your site to forum, and email signatures. If you have the money for it, buy some advertising on Adwords for cheap. The best way to get some visitors is to submit your content to bookmarking sites. There is a huge debate about blogspam vs self submitted content. Blogspam is someone copying someone elses work and posting it on their site and then submitting their site to digg, reddit, del.icio.us, etc. Thats blogspam. Self submitted articles are fine, as long as what you have to say is interesting, and was created by you. Writers dont wait to get published, they publish their work.
    Worst thing you can do is spam your website. Spamming your website might give you a short burst in traffic, but it hurts you in the long run.

Thats basically it in a nutshell. Stick with it, even if you dont see much traffic. With enough content/marketing, you can get some great income from your website.

Strong points:
    • Don't spam your website.
    • Stick with it, even when you get discouraged.
    • Earning might be low for the first year, yes thats right.. year, but stick with it, keep writing, keep promoting and eventually chances are good your site will earn you some good income. Maybe even covering your living expenses and then some.
    If you notice any errors or have something to ad, post here and ill append/change as needed.

Update -
    Resrouces:
    Changelog:
    • 8/3/07 - added resource list.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

I'd add go to digital point forums and read a lot.

3. giz

giz Active Member

hrm, interesting idea and great EDU

4. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

i can add that under 'resources'. :dunno:

5. sonofsam

sonofsam b0n3r [email protected]

any tips on how to sell ad space to local businesses?

I'm running a houston social network and I don't know much about being a salesman :o

6. s3rca

s3rca New Member

i vote sticky

7. ElectricJW

ElectricJW We are all ONE!

:werd:

And does anyone on here do anything like this? If so could you post that you have one, and I'll PM you?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  8. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

ask for pm. if we start posting links to our shit, mods might look down up on it and take the forum away. :noes:

pm me and ill pm you my personal blog site. :wavey:

9. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

whats your user base?
    try and build that up to over 5,000 and then market to local buisnesses. if you cant wait, do atleast 500 members and go target small buisnesses. restaurants, cafe's, etc.

10. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

need to remove the www from your digitalpoint link.

11. +(ll.ll)+

+(ll.ll)+ New Member

Niche is pronounced "neesh" or "nitch?" :dunno:

12. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

thanks

13. Good write up. :cool:

14. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

very nice edu.. we need more like this

15. miek

miek New Member

I pronounce it neesh :dunno:

16. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Would anyone be interested in an 'Adult industry' version of this?

17. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Add wickedfire.com to the resource list.

They're the best place for online marketing info.

18. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

thanks! done.

19. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

20. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

For sure. Although you can get lucky as I did in July. Keep an eye out for new trends and jump on domains. Even a simple blog can turn profitable if something becomes popular really quickly.

It took me over 3 years to get anyone but myself and a few friends to post on my forum and just within the last month people have started posting since I changed the format to something more specific. I kinda fell into that idea like "hey if OT is doing this well why can't I"... and obviously it doesn't work. Be patient.

21. oscarkat

oscarkat Happiness is a long hard road. OT Supporter

definitely interesting...

22. Cojones

Cojones Guest

23. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

i bet you brownings in his chair goin:

[y]VDnRbGQJfR0[/y]