EDU: Winter Storage

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by sofakingraw, Oct 4, 2006.

1. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

Material Needed

- Cheap Motor Oil
    - Commercial Gasoline Stabilizer - don't buy the cheap stuff - spend $2 more
    - Full tank of gas mixed with above stabilizer
    - Commercial Vinyl and Rubber Preservative - Silicone free
    - 1 Amp Battery Charger - available at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire
    - Proper motorcyle cover - one that breaths and will not trap moisture
    - *Optional - Commercial Aerosol Rust Preventative (moisture displacing lubricant)

Storage Steps

-Place the motorcycle on its rear and front stands. If you don’t have a front stand, you can use 2 jack stands to prop the forks up. The goal is to get the bike level and the tires off the ground. You don't want flat spots in your tires come spring.

-Deflate the tires to approximately 20 PSI.

-Thoroughly clean the entire motorcycle, you’ll thank yourself when spring arrives! Also run the bike until all traces of moisture are gone, don't store a wet bike.

-Fill the gas tank and mix the gasoline stabilizer into the fuel tank using the amount of stabilizer recommended by its manufacturer. Unstabilized fuel will form "gum" or "varnish" deposits that will plug the fuel cock and carburetor passageways. Be sure the fuel tank is as full as possible to eliminate any air space and to reduce the chances of the fuel becoming contaminated or the inside of your tank rusting.

Note: Make sure that the fuel cock lever is in the "on" or "reserve" position. If the lever is left in the prime position, fuel may leak into the engine.

-To protect the top end of the engine from rust and corrosion run the engine for a few minutes to get the stabilized fuel into the carburetors. Then, remove the spark plugs and pour 1 to 2 tablespoons of motor oil into each spark plug hole. Reinstall the spark plugs. Do not reinstall the spark plug caps at this time. Turn the engine over a few times with the electric starter. Now reinstall the spark plug caps.

-Drain the old engine oil and oil filter, replace the filer empty. With fresh oil, refill the crankcase all the way up to the filler cap hole. This step is necessary because the old oil contains acid, moisture and other contaminants that may damage the engine while it is stored.

-Remove the battery. Make sure to remove the negative terminal before the positive terminal. This will remove the battery from the circuit and will eliminate the chance of grounding the positive terminal with the screwdriver or wrench. Clean the outside of the battery with a mild baking soda and water solution and dry it carefully (baking soda neutralizes the acids). Be sure not to get any solution inside the cells. Remove any corrosion from the terminals and from the wiring harness connections. Store the battery in a room that stays above freezing, off the floor, and preferably on a wooden shelf.

-Recharge the battery with a one amp battery charger once a month. If the battery is not kept full charged, it may become permanently damaged and will have to be replaced.

-Spray all of the vinyl and rubber parts with a rubber preservative.

-Spray the unpainted surfaces of the motorcycle with the rust preservative.

-It is not necessary to start the engine during the storage period. You may want to start it once in while to spread the oil around that was poured into the top end. Be sure to disconnect the sparkplug wires first so the bike doesn't actually start.

-Stuff a rag into the exhaust pipe to prevent bugs or small woodland creatures from making your bike home.

-Cover the bike with a breathable bike cover. This is a good idea even if you will be storing the bike indoors (prevents accidental scratches and dust).

2. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

:bowdown: i might be too lazy to do all that but at least its more than i would've thought to do on my own

3. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

lol at putting away the bike for winter. kidding, kidding
    :hsugh:

4. Frequency

Frequency New Member

i winter ride :dunno: but i also use winter for mods.

5. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

35 here on the way into work this morning :hs:

6. 7960

7960 New Member

I live in NE and ride down to about 40 degrees or the first snow, whichever comes first. Below 40 degrees and it's too likely that there may be a cold spot and ice somewhere. After first snow there's sand on the road and isn't worth the chance of sliding (and it's a pain to clean).

7. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

I'll go into early november, but if the salt trucks hit the streets before that I won't even risk it.

When it get's below 50, I have a hard time keeping the back tire from breaking loose even in a straight line. :noes:

8. Bugatti

Bugatti New Member

I'm just driving mine into my living room. Throw some Stabil in the tank. Trickle charger if need be.

9. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

good edu. i might have to be doing this next weekend. its too damned cold lately to be riding

10. seven

seven New Member

i am so glad i dont have to worry winter here

11. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

will any motor oil work? or should i buy some of that overinflated motorcycle motor oil?

and what weight?