EDU: RG-6 Compression Termination (EASY)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zylo, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

Hey, bored and decided to make an EDU. This is EXTREMELY easy, but a few people at work were confused about compression connectors vs crimp connectors, so why not EDU it for anyone else that is curious.

Comp > Crimp, IMO so here is how to do it for those that don't :wiggle:

Supplies:
    RG-6 stripper
    RG-6 Compression Tool
    RG-6 Cable (in this case RG-6 Quad Shield :bowdown: )
    RG-6 Compression End
    Technically, the end is incorrect. It is for standard RG-6 and not Quad Shield, but still good for EDU purposes.
    [​IMG]

The stripper has a notch for the center conducter, and 2-sets of blades, as you will see why later.
    [​IMG]

Insert the cable into the stripping cartridge with the end resting against the stop & rotate at least 5 turns around the cable. Then grasp the strippers and pull towards the end of the cable.
    [​IMG]

This is what you end up with. If you don't have strippers, you can use scissors or a knife if you are desperate.
    [​IMG]

Peel back the first layer of shielding
    [​IMG]

Then jam the compression end on. This was a tight fit and a royal PITA because it was the wrong end if you remember :o Twist it as it goes on and keep going until the hard plastic insulation on the center conducter comes flush with the inside of the connector.
    [​IMG]

Notice the compression sleeve. If it falls off when twisting the end on, slide it back into place as shown:
    [​IMG]

Now stick the end into the compression tool like so:
    [​IMG]

And press the lever!
    [​IMG]

It really is that easy :)
    [​IMG]

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What are cables like these used for? It looks like standard CATV stuff to me. :dunno:

Good writeup though. Care to provide links to where you bought the supplies?

3. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

It IS standard CATV cable. Except it's a higher gauge wire and has more shielding. A lot of people have RG-59 in their house, which is 20 gauge, and RG-6 is 18 gauge.** Plus the quad shield is just that. RG-59 has a single layer of foil & wire braiding. Quad has two of each. RG-6Q is a wise upgrade for the ever popular digital cable, HD, and cable internet as it provides the best signal preservation. And your TV is only as good as the weakest link. I.E. why have $200 in interconnects when the cable feeding the TV is a poorly shielded RG-59? Sure DVD's and such will look great as these don't use coax, but for the best possible CATV experience I highly recommend at least RG-6, if not the quad shield.

And when running quality cable, why bother with less than ideal ends? (lol, teh funny no one will get)

I bought all of the supplies at Lowes. The cable is made by General Cable and is sold (at my location) in 1000ft sealed boxes for ~ 120 IIRC. You can certainly buy better quality cable such as Belden 1694A (RG-6 type), but I liked the local availability. If I was going to splurge on better cable, I would buy Commscope-Uniprise cable personally as it's what we use at work.

Better ends are also abound, but again due to availability, the ideal ends suited me just fine. I used gold plated Zenith compression ends on the outside cable connection due to corrosion resistance, but for inside use, a quality end is needed, and nothing fancy.

Greenlee Stripper:
    http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_45578.htm?sid=9282739570CAD4DACC157E8C2EEAE210

Ideal Omniseal Compression Tool:
    http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_30-603.htm?sid=9282739570CAD4DACC157E8C2EEAE210

F-Type Compression Fitting:
    http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_2134.htm?sid=9282739570CAD4DACC157E8C2EEAE210

Couple of notes... any of the above can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot.

**(They do make data-application RG-6Q w/ 16 gauge wire but it's VERY expensive and pointless for home use)

4. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

:mamoru:

You're better off buying the tools and compression fittings from somewhere like monoprice.com. Home Depot is horribly expensive, even for the crimpers.

I bought 50 compression fittings for $8 at monoprice I think.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My mom's house needs rewiring. It took about a week of experimentation with different splitters before we got the cable internet to send a signal both ways, and (I shit you not) there is a portion of the cable coming into the house that isn't buried at all -- it's just LAYING ON THE GROUND IN THE WOODS. Cheap fucking cable company couldn't be bothered to dig a proper trench.