EDU: Removing Latex Paint From Your Ride

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by TheWeasel, Jan 10, 2008.

1. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

If you ever happen to be backing into your tiny garage and not paying enough attention, then just happen to scrape the side of it a bit and get some paint on your car, don't worry. Grab some rubbing alcohol, a cotton towel, and solve the problem. Wipes right off with almost no rubbing. Then a nice coat of wax and you're set. Sorry the car is so dirty. I had just driven over 2 hours north to go snowmobiling. You can see the big white spots in the first 2 pix that are the latex paint.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

3. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Probably would have been worth the time to wash the car first and avoided getting all those nasty swirls...

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Washed it right afterwards but it didn't do much good as I had to drive it home a couple days later.

5. Robb

Robb Guest

:ugh: don't think ill be trying that

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

friggin sweet.

7. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

What I was saying was that if it were washed properly before you polished it with IPA you wouldn't have those nasty swirl marks from the salt and dirt all over your bumper. Those circular things, we tend to try and avoid/remove them here and not introduce new ones.

8. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

The swirls you see wiped right off with water and are no longer there. They look even worse in the picture because the camera phone pix aren't that great and lighting angle. No more swirls.

9. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Well, glad it worked for you. But I think most of the people around here will probally stick with a wash/clay/polish/wax approach, rather than just going straight to IPA on dirty paint.