GUN EDU: Reloading VIDEO

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Oct 6, 2007.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

2. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Cool. They covered this on shooting gallary or guns and ammo or something this week.

3. Platinum_Thunder

4. Platinum_Thunder

Anyway, that show explained all about reloading precision rifle, handgun, and shotgun.

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

What sort of powder do you like?

6. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I think he likes Tite Group :mamoru:

[​IMG]

7. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

lol First video kinda reminds me of PF money. :o

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

For 9mm and 40, I like titegroup because it's cheap, is consistent with my powder charge and cheap.

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:cool:

I really need a press to get into reloading

10. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

No auto-index?

I've been saving up lots of brass... I need to finally get a setup. :hsd:

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

Nope, RL550 doesn't auto index. Which is perfectly find for me. I feel like I'm more careful that way. I could have bought a Lee Pro1000 for a LOT less with auto index, but the RL550 is a better machine and it doesn't hamper my production rate at all. I'll probably get a 1050 in the next year or two.

It's all about quality ammo, not quantity. Besides, at the rate my brother is pressing, he's doing 300-400 rounds of ammo an hour. That's good enough. We'll dink around in the garage bullshitting and pump out a couple thousand a night. When I get going I could go faster and do 500, but no need really. When you are going that fast is when you fuck up. Not to say all that go that fast fuck up, but I can maintain that rate better than going all out.

When you're on the line waiting for that buzzer in a match, you don't want to have any doubt about the quality of your ammo.

12. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Cool vid....I've always wondered how those things worked.

I keep hearing that you can save a lot of money by reloading your own ammo but then I also hear that many accidents also happen as a result of reloading your own ammo. Being so new to guns, it's hard to sort out the truth. I've never heard anyone quote a percentage either, like you can save up to 50% of your costs if you reload. What has your experience been?

When you say you don't have any doubt about the quality of your ammo, how are you so confident?? Did you do a lot of research before loading your own or is it just because of all the rounds you've shot? Or both?

13. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

from what I have heard, you don't save any money overall, you just shoot way more for the same amount of money.

Personally, it seems to me that as long as you are careful and don't have anything distracting you from reloading, that it would be perfectly safe. :dunno:

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

Beliefs are a result of consistency of experience. After you've done this, and learned EXACTLY what to look out for, and KNOW the principles of reloading, it is absolutely possible to load without ever having any issues. I shoot with some folks in my club whom have reloaded for over 25 years without ever even having a squib load. I would put my life on my ammo.

Then there are just people that can fuck anything up.

I put in place redundant measures to catch these annomolies. If you know exactly what you have to watch out for, there's nothing to fear. A wise man learns from his mistakes. And even wiser man learns from others. And there are plenty examples out there to learn from others.

It's like driving. Some people can drive their entire lives and never get a ticket. Then there are some that can't drive 3 months without getting a ticket. Is it possible? Yes. Are there particular things you can put in place to ensure of it? Yes.

Like I've said before, it does take a slight above average attention to detail, confidence and patience. It's definitely NOT for everyone. There are certain folks I wouldn't trust a butter knife to. My friends and the people I chose to hang around with are all very sharp people, as am I. It's within my nature. Everything I do, rite down to my line of work requires me of it, so it's no big deal for me.

As for saving money, again, that's a wash. Simply because I shoot so much every month. On average, you can save up to 50%. But I shoot twice as much, and the value of practice is priceless. But it's not exactly apples to apples comparison because that's comparing it to cheap and shitty Winchester White box ammo. My ammo is tailored and shoots and performs MUCH better than any match grade ammo that's available out there now. So comparing my ammo, compared to plinking ammo is like comparing a Civic to a Bentley.

If there were no advantage, trust me, my time is much more valuable than the money saved to reloading ammo. I wouldn't exert so much effort, time and resource to it if I didn't believe in it. So i don't do it at all because of the cost saving aspect at all. Even if reloading were to be the same price as ammo, I would choose to reload. I almost look at it as my secret weapon. You can take my gun apart and look at anything you want, it's stock. My big key to success in competitive shooting is in my ammo. You can do anything to your gun, and I don't undercut the value in a modified gun. It's just, I don't know of any mod that will allow you to shoot more. And that's what it comes down to, there' is nothing that can compensate, or circumvent practice. Plain and simple. You can't outshoot me, unless you out practice me.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  15. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Thanks man...that a ton of great info and I appreciate the insight.

16. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I reload with a single stage imo too much to go wrong with a progressive.

17. AB13

AB13 New Member

I would absolutely agree. If I had more expendable time on my hands, there is nothing safer. Although, I have heard of some people still managing to double charge and squib using a single stage. Depends on capability of said reloader.

That said, it wouldn't meet my need to reload for competitive shooting in pistols. It would take me an entire weekend to do, what would take me 2 hours to do on my Progressive. I also reload and shoot somewhere around 2-3k a month.

So it's got to meet your needs and requirements. I feel you though, because that's what I started off using.