MIL EDU: Navy Rank Structure

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mrduke, Feb 24, 2006.

1. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I was reading through the marine-army fight thread and a few people said that they don't understand the Navy's rank system. I wrote this up a few months back and posted it here but with all the new guys posting in this forum I think it's an acceptable repost. I'll use myself as an example for the most part. I'm an E-4, AE3.

For the enlisted side, it goes like this (I'll use seaman as my example, but there is more to it):
    E-1: Seaman Recruit
    E-2: Seaman Apprentice
    E-3: Seaman
    E-4: Petty Officer Third Class
    E-5: Petty Officer Second Class
    E-6: Petty Officer First Class
    E-7: Chief Petty Officer
    E-8: Senior Chief Petty Officer
    E-9: Master Chief Petty Officer

Naval officers have the same collar devices as the other branches (ie. gold oak leaf=O-4), we just use different names for those ranks. I won't go into the officers much more, other than their rank:
    O-1: Ensign
    O-2: Lieutenant (junior grade)
    O-3: Lieutenant
    O-4: Lieutenant Commander
    O-5: Commander
    O-6: Captain
    O-7: Rear Admiral (Lower Half)
    O-8: Rear Admiral (Upper Half)
    O-9: Vice Admiral
    O-10: Admiral

Now, back to enlisted ratings. The Navy has 6 'general apprenticeship' fields. They are Seaman (SN), Airman (AN), Fireman (FN), Constructionman (CN), Hospitalman (HN), and Dentalman (DN). So yes, you can be an airman in the Navy (I was one). These apprenticeships apply to E-1 through E-3, and are identified by the last two letters in your rate/rank and the color of the stripes on your uniform. The first two letters of rate/rank indicate (obviously) your rate. Rate in the Navy is your job. The last 2 letters in the rate/rank identify your paygrade. As an example, I am an Aviation Electrician's Mate, or AE. So, as an E-3 in the Navy, I was an AEAN. I came in as an AEAA (E-2) and another example would be DCFR (Damage Controlman Fireman Recruit).

New paragraph. As you move up and pick up E-4, you're now a Petty Officer Third Class. I went from AEAN to AE3, and next is AE2 (E-5), then AE1 (E-6). Same deal as before, your rank just becomes a number instead of the AN/SN/FN. When you get picked up for Chief, mine would be AEC. Senior Chief is AECS (don't ask why it's not SC), and Master Chief is AECM. So in the next sign in thread, when someone says AE2, you'll know what the hell they're talking about.

Usually, when someone is a Petty Officer, they have a warfare qualification also. There's a bunch of them, but for Aviation we get wings on our uniforms and an (AW) added to the end of our rate/rank. So AO2(AW) is Aviation Ordnanceman Second Class (Air Warfare).

Well, I think I pretty much covered it here. It's easy to understand once it's explained, so I hope everyone reading this (even the Marines) now have a better understanding of the Navy. Questions? Ask away.

Cliffs: Read it and learn something :o

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  2. itski

itski Yargg

Sounds good except the DC would probably be a DCFR

3. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

you're right :uh:

fixed.

4. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

also it not so much rank for enlisted I would care about its the insignia on the collar while in the tan uniform. I always see navy enlisted with some shiny metal on the collar.

5. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

The tan uniform (called khakis by us) is for E-7 and above, including officers. E-7, E-8 and E-9 all wear an anchor on their collar. E-7 (Chief) is just the anchor, E-8 (Senior Chief) is the same anchor with a star the top and E-9 (Master Chief) is the same anchor with 2 stars. It's kind of hard to tell the difference from a distance. What I find easiest is that officers have their rank insignia on one side of their garrison cap and the officer crest on the other side, while chiefs only have the anchor on the left side. Officers have the same collar devices as the other branches.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  6. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

I found some good pics of the anchors that chiefs wear, should make it a little clearer. The collar device is on the left, rating badge (left arm on dress/working uniform) is on the right.

Chief:
    [​IMG]

Senior Chief:
    [​IMG]

Master Chief:
    [​IMG]

7. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

confusing

8. andymodem

andymodem Ambitious, but rubbish.

Worst rank/insignia system ever.

9. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

the fucking navy is the only branch that has a different working uniform for the e-7 and above, and that's bullshit. i hate the navy (for more reasons than that)

10. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

11. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

I always liked the navy's traditions and rank structure. It would only work in the Navy however, and not in any of the other branches.

12. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

problem here is that officers at sea commands usually just wear their command ballcaps like everone else...so you cant see the devices
    i always look at the chest first to see if there is any gold warfare pins...if there is nothing there then i assume its an officer because MOST (not everyone i dont think but damn near) chief+ have some warfare pin already...

then it gets extra confusing when you have a prior enlisted junior officer sporting his silver enlisted warfare pin and no gold officer pin yet....

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  13. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

ha, you really gotta watch out for the aircrew or jump pins. they're gold. i've saluted a chief before cause he had a gold pin.

14. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

so confusing:ugh:

15. deestillballin

deestillballin New Member

I see you didnt forget about us Undesg people.. im just a little AA (I got my promotion 2 weeks ago)