A&P EDU: Mac Resolution Hack

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by aCab, Jan 6, 2009.

1. aCab

aCab New Member

Hey guys, wanted to up the resolution on my macbook, and stumbled upon a script that tricks programs into running at a higher resolution:

1. Open up the Terminal Application on your mac. If you don't know how to do it, go to the upper right hand corner of your screen and click the magnifying glass. (This is spotlight, which is essentially a search engine for your whole computer.) Type in "terminal". When the computer recognizes the terminal application, double click it to open it.

2. Once in terminal, hit enter twice to clear out anything keys you may have accidentally hit.

3. Copy/paste this script: " defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor x " into the terminal box.

4. Decide what scale you want to use. I used .89 to get an effective resolution of 1440x900. You can chose any number you want, but they may work differently.

5. In the script that you pasted into terminal, replace the ending "x" with the number you picked. **HINT** TO RESET THE RESOLUTION TO THE NATIVE, ENTER "1".

6. Hit enter to enter the script.

7. Close terminal and any other applications you have open. Upon opening up each application, your resolution should be reset to a larger one. It's been reported that not all applications like this trick, so your results may vary. I'm not responsible for any harm done to your computer/personal being.

8. Upon restarting the computer, everything will be reset.

///Here's\\\ my full blog on it.

Enjoy!

ibrepost

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

hmmm...

3. FidizzyTypeS

FidizzyTypeS Gimme Dem Scones!! OT Supporter

wait ... what...

4. aCab

aCab New Member

My macbook appears to be running 1440x900 instead of the native 1280x800 giving me more space.

5. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

this... this.... this just doesn't seem right!