GUN EDU: Handgun Technique: Grip, Grip pressure & Stance

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Oct 29, 2009.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

The following is an EDU on Stance, Grip and Grip pressure. These are the basics that allows me to shoot more accurately at a high rate of speed. And also allows me to properly control my handgun and manage recoil.

I'll cover 3 area's I feel are basic fundamentals:

1. Stance:

A: I like taking a wide stance, with the foot of my strong side slightly back pointed about 1 o'clock. If you are, ahem, big bone'ded like myself, you may naturally control recoil easier than if you were thinner. With women, or smaller folk, I always tell them to take a wider stance, to the point where your rear strong side leg is almost fully extended out behind you.

B: Knee's slightly bent, Weight forward, but not slunched over. 70% of my weight is on the balls of my feet.

C: Shoulders are relaxed, tension kills speed. Shoulders and waist are perfectly square with your target.

D: Gun is indexed in front of my face/chest, with it slightly more towards my dominant eye. Arms are fully extended, then brought back towards me so my elbows are slightly bent. I never lock my elbows in, this will put all of the recoil back towards your body. My arms are shock absorbers and will take 70-80% of the recoil.

Notes: By squaring my body up, in more of an isocolese stance, this allows me to move in either direction without my hips, etc getting in the way. This is an ideal stance for us "run and gunners". and also works well with my grip type.

2. Grip:

A: Strong hand: Placing the gun in your hand, place thebackstrap of the gun as far up the webbing of your hand as possible. I absolutely bury the web of my hand as far up the grip as possible. If you've never had slide bite before, you don't try hard enough. The middle finger of your strong hand should also be as far up the front strap of your gun as possible with the rest of my fingers tightly against it. Place your thumb pointed up at a 10 oclock position, this ensures that the pad of your strong hand is nice and tight, so the gun is recoiling against a firm pad.

note: some folks like to point the thumbs of their strong hands towards the target, I have smaller hands, so they just point up and to the left, well clear of my slide. Important thing is that your thumbs SHOULD NOT rest on the gun in any manner that would influence it's recoil. The thumbs play NO role in the firing grip of the gun, they are just there along for the ride and as a reference point that the rest of your grip is where it should be.

B: Support hand, aka Weak Hand (btw, I hate the term "weak" hand. It should not be "weak"): The key to a good support hand placement is cocking your wrists properly. What I tell people is, it's the same angle you would use if you were shaking someones hand. This will "lock" your wrists and what really helps control recoil. I will always "point" my thrumbs forward with this grip. If you've never done this before, it WILL feel very wierd.

Your index finger should be placed as close to the middle finger of your strong hand, then the rest of the fingers are "rolled" into place, very tightly against your strong hand, and again as far up as possible on the guns grip.

3. Grip Pressure:

Visual: It's like holding a greasy egg, not enough to break the egg, but enough to firmly keep it in your hand.

visual 2: 70/30 grip pressure. You should grip the gun with your Support hand at 70%, and your strong hand at 30%. The less tension you have in your strong hand, the faster you can pull the trigger, and the better trigger control you have on the gun. Allowing you to become more accurate.

Note: your grip pressure dictates the way your gun will recoil and the way your sights track on your gun. The key isn't to fully control it, just have one that is repeatable and tracks in manner that will allow you to get your front sight back down and to your target as fast as possible. This is the key to high speed transitions and splits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

All wrong. This is how it's done, son!

[​IMG]

The more swear words you throw at your victim...err...target, the more accurate you will shoot! Be sure to insult their mother!

Seriously though, good write-up. I will take this info to the range with me next time. :)

4. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

if that second picture is of you, trust me, your hands aren't that small. My hands don't wrap around the grip nearly as much as in that pic.
    Sucks having small hands :(

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

hell yeah, go gangsta or go home

6. Crossett

Crossett New Member

but it makes your cock look huge in contrast :naughty:

7. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

Hey, here's a problem I have, maybe you can diagnose. I don't always disengage the grip safety on my 1911's, and they both have the "memory bump" or whatever the hell you call it. If I grip the gun just slightly lower, I don't have any problem with it, but if I grip the gun just as high as I can, it's like there's a hole in my palm the grip safety falls into, and isn't depressed.

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

This is why I pin the grip safety on my guns.

Make a fist with your strong hand. Now, move your thumb side to side/up and down. See how that changes the thickness of the pad of your hand directly under your thumb?

Like i said, I turn my thumbs outwards more to get more of the meat of my pads to come out more and to engage the back strap of the gun. This may allow you to get more "meat" on that GS.

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

I use thin grips on my gun. My golf glove size is a Medium Cadet.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

you're welcome

12. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

So do I.
    I could opt for a less manly gun, but then the chicks wouldn't dig me as much.

13. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

[​IMG]

14. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

possible to take a pic of your strong hand grip with your support hand off to see how it looks?

15. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Thx, I'll try messing with my grip next time I shoot.

16. SoonDubu

SoonDubu The most honest moment in a man's life is the five OT Supporter

17. AB13

AB13 New Member

NP, I will later tonight when I get home.

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Good post AB.

Question...... do you find that shooting under a dot helps you diagnose grip/stance/etc maladies?

19. AB13

AB13 New Member

The way I shoot my open gun is different than how I shoot my non comped 1911's. Grip pressure is different, as is my gun index.

But yeah, if I see a pattern I can usually easily diagnose on the field what I'm doing to influence my shots.

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Explain the difference in pressures, and why if you don't mind? Just the obvious differences in the gun setup (in regards to slide weight/spring weight/etc) affecting movement of the sight, and thus grip?

For me, shooting under a dot with my Kadet put things into perspective real quick. The visual indicator of what I was doing (and thus how the gun tracked under recoil) let me do some real fast R&D work with instant and obvious results. I just kept playing around with stuff until I could get the dot to move the least, and in a straight up and down pattern.

I feel like I've made headway there, and now I'm working on locking in my eyes on the front sight, and being able to better call shots with my production gun. I feel that I'm still a little weak on my game there. Tips/drills or anything you do to work on same?

21. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

Thats pretty much how I've been shooting, with dry firing every night my shooting has improved a ton thanks to your posts and others here.

I cant shoot with both eyes open for shit though. I see either two guns or two targets. Any ideas?

22. BLH

BLH Member

Need to focus harder on that front sight. You should be able to tell what your gun is doing recoil wise from focusing on that front sight.

23. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Ya, I know. I've been working a lot on it, and have gotten better. I can definitely "see" the sight, though the dot is obviously still a lot more clear. I need to do more transition work during dryfire, especially with targets at varying ranges. I've noticed that focusing on something close, then on something far away is fucking me all kinds of up. I think I need glasses :wtc:

24. AB13

AB13 New Member

Here are some pictures of strong hand only on the gun, gotta get some food in me, brb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

In your second pic, is that some fire coming out of the casing? Cause that's freaking cool.