Edmunds First Drive: 2005 Chevrolet Equinox AWD

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Apr 5, 2004.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Looking Stylish in a Bow Tie

[​IMG]
    Hard to believe there's a bow tie on that grille, but this SUV is a Chevrolet through and through.

By Ed Hellwig
    Date posted: 04-01-2004

Executives from the domestic automakers are often asked why they've been getting walloped by the growing popularity of imported brands. They invariably launch into complicated answers involving labor costs, exchange rates and other similarly incomprehensible business-speak.

On the flip side, when consumers are asked why they don't buy domestic vehicles as often as they used to the answers are a little more straightforward. Quality and reliability are still up there along with resale value and customer service, but above and beyond those practical concerns, there's the all-important matter of style. In the eyes of many American consumers the imports have it, the domestics don't.

Chevrolet hasn't done itself any favors over the years with its lineup of tired, uninspiring designs, but the tide is starting to turn, and there's no better example of that than the new 2005 Equinox compact SUV. Its styling is decidedly more L.A. than Detroit, and it boasts a competitive spec sheet that includes a standard V6, numerous standard features and an interior with more room than many midsizers. But are Americans really ready for Chevrolets that don't look like, well…Chevrolets?

The Equinox makes for an easy transition. It's not only sharp-looking on the outside, it sports an interior that's equally fresh in its appearance. Silver metallic dash trim, a two-tone color scheme and backlit gauges give the Equinox a more upscale look than most of its competitors while the well-bolstered driver seat offers solid comfort and standard height adjustment. Although the center console houses the stereo, climate controls, central vents and shifter, it cants away from the driver to maintain a comfortable level of personal space. Aside from a few glaring lapses in materials quality on the dash and door panels, the Equinox ranks right up there with the Jeep Liberty for best-in-class interior honors.

As stylish as it is, however, the Equinox doesn't give up much in the way of functionality to attain its polished appearance. The shifter's placement in the middle of the center console keeps it within easy reach while at the same time freeing up space between the seats for bulky purses or briefcases. Designers even carved out some usable space around the shifter itself for smaller items like keys or cell phones — a nice touch. The flip-up armrest also provides out-of-sight storage as well as a soft-touch lid for resting your elbow. Additional details like rubberized climate control knobs and an available premium sound system are two more features that contribute to the upscale feel of the Equinox.

Sit in the backseat and you would think you're in a midsize SUV thanks to the generous passenger room in back. Although the Equinox shares its basic structure with the Saturn Vue, it uses a longer wheelbase and wider track to open up even more interior room. A sliding rear seat with eight inches of travel makes the most out of the available room whether you need maximum cargo or passenger space. The cargo area itself is a little on the narrow side, but a multiposition shelf similar to that found in the PT Cruiser gives you a few options as to how the space can be utilized.

There are two trim levels offered, base LS and upscale LT, with either front- or all-wheel drive. Base LS models are well equipped with standard features like a CD stereo; keyless entry; power windows, mirrors and locks; and 16-inch wheels. Upgrading to the LT adds antilock brakes (also standard on AWD LS models), upgraded cloth upholstery, cruise control and alloy wheels. Available options include heated leather seats, a premium sound system, side curtain airbags and 17-inch wheels.

[​IMG]
    A clean center stack design, nicely detailed gauges and a two-tone color scheme make for a stylish interior.

Although it's generally well executed throughout, the Equinox isn't without a few flaws. Not only are the door panels average-looking in appearance, the lack of soft-touch material on the upper portion makes them poor armrests on longer trips. The doors also feature flimsy door handles and slim storage bins with no bottle holders. Up front, we could do without the centrally located window switches, overly busy radio layout and small pop-out cupholders that won't do well with oversized drinks.

Such complaints are admittedly minor, but when you're competing against strong entries from Ford, Honda and Toyota among others, there's not much room for error. Chevrolet figured as much when it stocked the Equinox with a 3.4-liter V6 engine as standard equipment. Delivering 185 horsepower and 210 pound-feet of torque, the six-cylinder power plant offers less horsepower than the Ford Escape (200) but more torque (193), while the Kia Sorento bests the Equinox in both categories with 192 hp and 217 lb-ft of torque.

The trump card for the Equinox, however, is its five-speed automatic. With an extra gear at its disposal, the transmission is able to keep the V6 planted firmly in its sweet spot for solid acceleration at nearly any speed. Its shifts come quickly and smoothly, giving the Equinox a satisfying level of performance on par with most of its peers.
    The V6 gets a bit thrashy at high rpm, but it makes up for it in efficiency with mileage estimates of 19 city/25 highway.

When it comes to ride and handling, the Equinox loses a bit of its luster. Although it uses a wider track than its Saturn Vue cousin, the Chevy still exhibits considerable body roll in corners. Its over-the-road comfort is admirable, but it lacks the nimble feel you might expect in a smaller SUV. Much of the problem stems from the electric steering system that's used to allow for more precise tuning and increased efficiency. Unfortunately, it never seems to get it right, as there's a constant feeling of detachment between the steering wheel and the suspension below.

Keep the Equinox pointed straight ahead and the steering deficiencies fall further into the background. There's very little road and engine noise at speed and even the moderate wind buffeting from the tops of the side windows barely disturbs the quiet cabin. It makes for a fine cruiser — just don't expect to have much fun if you find a twisty shortcut.

Given that most SUV buyers don't expect sharp handling in the first place, the flaccid underpinnings of the Equinox shouldn't be seen as a fatal flaw. It's got too many other things going for it to get blackballed for wobbly steering, especially given its otherwise competent driving characteristics. Factor in the expansive interior that looks as good as it works and the Equinox doesn't offer much to complain about. It's not likely to go down in history as the vehicle that turned Chevrolet around, but after years of watching one Chevy after another fail to impress, the Equinox is a welcome change of pace.

[​IMG]
    Good-looking wheels and just the right amount of exterior detailing make for one of the better Chevrolet designs to come along in years.

The Bottom Line: Chevrolet finally woke up to the power of good design and created one of the most attractive compact SUVs on the market — easily one of the best vehicles to wear the bow tie badge in a long time.

[​IMG]

2. g0dl355

g0dl355 New Member

horrid

3. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i like it

4. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Very nice. :eek3:

5. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

I don't think it looks unlike a Chevy, but I do like the fact that GM is starting to produce better cars. Finally.

6. Soltaker

Soltaker 03-18-2015 #NEVERFORGET

fugly :down:

7. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Much better than I would have expected.

8. g0dl355

g0dl355 New Member

my n-word

9. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

nice interior, but :ugh:

10. Hurricane

Hurricane E=mc^2

Only two qualms aesthetically.

1) I think the bow tie across the grill would look better centered vertically instead of offset to the top as it is now.

2) The beige interior with blank and metal accents is a little much. I think it ould have looked better with just metal or black accents, not both.

Other than that, it'll be nice once GM can retire that venerable motor.

11. guess

guess Please think of the Domo-kuns....

IBsomebodythrows20'sandbagsone :bigthumb:

12. another SUV who woulda thunk it :rolleyes:

13. Rummy

Rummy "bored and extremely dangerous"

if I was up your ass you'd know where I was
    looks solid

14. mucky

mucky .

Not bad, but I'd never buy a first year GM ever again.

But something that disturbs me a bit. The engine is made in China, the transmission made in Japan, the Theta platform really a heavily modified older German Opel Vectra platform and the whole thing is assembled in Canada. :ugh:

15. mucky

mucky .

Oh, and along with the Altezza styled taillights, those center power window switches are :down:.

16. Pursuit

Pursuit Guest

just a rebadged envoy/trailblazer/ranier/isuzu/caddy

17. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

:eek3:

I like it. :eek3d:

18. mucky

mucky .

Holy fucking shit, are you that oblivious? :slap:

19. Hurricane

Hurricane E=mc^2

I don't think that engine's made in China. That's the same 3.4L that's been used in the N-body while for the past several years, which was derived from the 3.1L, which was derived from the 2.8L etc.

I could be wrong though. It happens occasionally.

20. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

Oh noes! It must suck! That's the same steering wheel as the malibu! Part sharing is bad! bad! bad! bad!1!!!!!!11!1!!

21. srfrogger

srfrogger New Member

Those tail lights are playd 0ut and nasty.

22. mucky

mucky .

The 3.4L is one of the newer GM 'High Value' V6 that is made in China. Trust me. Trishield would back me up on this one.

23. mucky

mucky .

Oh yeah, and the Equinox has only 55% North American Content. It might as well be classified as an import. :hs:

24. Hurricane

Hurricane E=mc^2

:dunno: if it's the high-value or not. The HP and TQ numbers seem pretty much identical to the old 3.4L engines.

I'd rather seem them put the high-feature engines into more mass prodcution rather than the high-value ones.

25. Urinal Mint

Urinal Mint bourbon afficionado

I saw one yesterday and thought it was an RX330 at first :o