Edmunds - Corvette Ain't Cool

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Oct 13, 2009.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Please GM, Fix the Corvette

[​IMG]

By The Mechanic | October 12, 2009

This semi-regular column is written (in his own blood) by an automotive sage and noted malcontent, known as The Mechanic. Mercilessly beaten as a child with rolled-up back issues of old car magazines, our free-spoken hero developed a unique "for your own good" take on cars and the auto industry, along with an unfortunate habit of setting himself ablaze. Later, after a distinguished career as an automotive journalist and magazine editor, he cast off the reins of his musty oppressors, carved out his superego with a plastic spork and became The Mechanic.

Before I begin, let me say that the following is not an attack on the people who buy Corvettes. They are good, clean, patriotic car lovers, and I think they should all be applauded for buying American.

I mean it from the bottom of my heart. Every barrel-chested baldy (sorry, retirees) and stripper (sorry, Bambi) who bought a Corvette recently deserves our respect and admiration for spending their hard-earned cash on America's sports car. God bless them all. I hope they enjoy their cars.

This column is not about them. It's about the Corvette itself, which sucks.

Truth is, I'm not really sure when it began to suck. I must have been watching my new Girls Gone Wild DVD and missed it, but it does suck and I think we should all be mortified by its suckiness.

Sure it performs incredibly well, but the Corvette as a relevant performance car has lost its way. Instead of being the everyman, all-American supercar it once was, the Vette has become too expensive, too extreme and too cheesy.

Chevy has blown it by allowing the Corvette's price and performance to get out of hand. And it continues to wrap the Vette in a dated package that is driving America's young car enthusiasts elsewhere. Do you realize that the base price of a new 2010 Corvette is $48,940? That's 50 grand for the cheapest Vette Chevy will sell you. The days of a kid graduating from college, getting a good job, saving up and buying a new Vette are long gone.

This is a problem.

But price is only part of the Corvette's demise. The sports car's image is another issue. Maybe it was all those butt-ugly Indy pace car editions over the years, or maybe it's the chrome wheels on the ZR1, but the Corvette's image is now more hillbilly than Beverly Hills, more Vegas than Victory Lane.

And it might be too late to save it. From where I sit, the Corvette has already been displaced as the attainable dream car for America's youth: displaced by the Infiniti G35 Coupe and the BMW M3 (E46). These two cars (and now their succeeding models, the G37 Coupe and the BMW M3 (E92)) are what the kids desire and aspire to. They've become "the Corvette" for the next generation of enthusiasts that have not yet hit the big four-o.

Sure they're slower than a C6, but they represent a far more modern and upscale interpretation of the everyday performance car. They represent what today's car lover wants: speed, style, quality and a nameplate that says he's successful and he knows what's cool. The Corvette just goes fast.

But these days everything goes fast. Guys realize they don't really need a car any faster than an E46 M3, which runs low 13s in the quarter-mile. Sure the C6 runs 12s but nobody really cares. These days, guys want a more balanced package.

And so the Corvette is being squeezed from the bottom by cars like the Infiniti, and it can't really compete with the upscale stuff (Porsche 911) because of its shoddy interior, questionable fit and finish and 1985 profile.

Unfortunate. The Corvette is one fine driving machine. Especially in Z06 and ZR1 trim. But I wouldn't buy one. Not unless I was the richest guy in Bowling Green. Or I owned a few Chevy dealerships. Or I was a stripper in Bowling Green and my sugar daddy owned a few Chevy dealerships. Otherwise I would ward off the Corvette like a sober night of karaoke, and I would do what every other well-educated cultured gentleman with taste and money does. I'd buy myself a Porsche 911. Make it a GT3.

And now to make matters worse, there's the Corvette Grand Sport, a new model recently reviewed by the great Dan Pund on this very Web site. It's basically a standard Vette that looks like a Z06. Market research must have showed GM's product planners that there's an untapped poser market. A big block of gold chainers clamoring for a slower, cheaper, inauthentic version of the Z06.

Come on, Chevy. Stop going in the wrong direction. Nobody ever asked you to make the Corvette the fastest car you could buy or the fastest car for the money. Nobody needs the Corvette to win Le Mans or pack 600-plus horsepower and cost over $100,000. Of course we want it to perform well, but we also need it to be affordable, insurable and durable. And we want it to be cool.

And today the C6 Corvette just isn't cool.

Come on GM, give us a Corvette we the people want today, not the Corvette you thought we wanted in 1989. -- The Mechanic, Inside Line Contributor

2. caddymac

caddymac New Member

Article sums up pretty much what I've been thinking since the G35 came out.

3. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

H8r

I'm the demographic he speaks of and the Corvette is still very cool to me, especially the Z06/ZR-1. However, he is right in that they have made it hard to obtain easily. But, I cant get decent insurance on the damn thing until I'm 26 anyway. :rofl:

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Who fucking cares if it costs 48K new? I could pick up used C5s all day long for less than $20K.

This guy is full of shit, probably getting paid under the table by Toyota/Nissan/Honda. Oh wait, that's right.... the GT-R costs $80K.

5. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

i dunno, i kind of agree, though i think the C6 is a good looking car aside from the interior...then again, i bought an STi right out of college so i dont have much room to speak of in terms of looks. :rofl:

6. 5.0Torx

5.0Torx New Member

He pretty much sums up how i feel about GM as a whole, since all of their cool stuff stems directly from the corvettes powertrain. Theres no imagination to it. Its just "hey lets slap this LSx in there and then make 500 different cosmetic variations on the same car." I dont really have anything against the LSx specifically, but when they come out with something like the Grand Sport, which is pretty much exactly what this guy said it is in his article, i just roll my eyes and wonder why we were forced to bail these morons out.

7. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

:ugh:

what is your reasoning for not using a LSX drivetrain in a sedan?

8. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I don't think he also realizes that the GM smallblock is used in virtually every V8 application the company produces.

9. CJPA

CJPA New Member

That's probably one of the dumbest articles I've ever read. Corvette's lineup offers supercar (and I'm not talking 350z bullshit) performance at a FRACTION of the cost.

Yeah, 48K entry? It's GM's fucking FLAGSHIP. They spent a lot of money developing the fucking thing to squeeze the best performance-per-dollar they can get.

If price is an issue, just buy a fucking used one at $20k discount :bowdown:

All they take to go from (ahem) "mild" to wild is a cam and full exhaust. :kdubbd:

Fuck this article up its stupid ass. I've seen better journalism put out by North Korea's Public Ministry.

10. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

There's nothing wrong with the corvette, except for its size. its a little long. the ideal corvette would be Sol/Sky sized large enough to house a front-mid, behind the front axle mounted V8

11. 5.0Torx

5.0Torx New Member

Never said anything like that...Merely pointing out that the GS is just another GM badge engineering attempt at making more money with parts bin crap they have laying around. Seems very unoriginal to me, and therefor uncool. The car itself cranks out huge performance, no doubt. But I'd rather just have the base corvette or pony up for the Z06. JMHO

12. 5.0Torx

5.0Torx New Member

I do indeed, and that was part of my point. Not that thats really any different from ford or dodge or anyone. I still dont see as much badge engineering from anyone - imports included - as i do GM.

13. BlazinBlazer Guy

Wait... so because they use the same family of engines in multiple platforms, that makes it badge engineering? Even if we're talking about an LSx block being used in both a Corvette and a truck?

:ugh:

Oh, and you need to stop living in the 90s. GM has moved significantly away from the practices of their dark years and producing some of the best offerings on the market.

14. BlazinBlazer Guy

It's not badge engineering or "parts bin crap" -- it's a Corvette Grand Sport... different trim level, with unique parts designed and produced specifically for that one trim level for a unique appearance.

Would you be bitching the same way about how Lamborghini "lacked originality" in not completely redesigning the Murcielago when they made it the "LP560"???

You obviously have NO clue how the auto industry works.

15. BlazinBlazer Guy

Sure, make it Kappa sized. Then 2/3 of people couldn't even fit in it (I can't get behind the wheel of a Solstice/Sky because my head sticks up above the top of the windshield)

16. 5.0Torx

5.0Torx New Member

I fail to see what, on a GS, is specific or unique. They already have Z06 brakes, exhaust, and exterior cosmetics. They already have the LS3 and Z51 suspension...

Also, if im not mistaken, the original Grand Sport debuted the LT4, and also marked the last year for the C4...Now its a trim level!!! THATS my point. Seems like the same old GM to me.

Do you see Lambo making an in-betweener trim level with the cosmetics of the LP560 but with the base engine? No...

Ill disregard your last comment :nono:

17. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

No, every company should be engineering a new motor for every vehicle they produce to drive parts cost up and reliability down. :mamoru:

18. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

The corvette is in a totally different class than the g37 and the m3. The corvette isn't a luxury sports coupe, it is a sports car (borderline supercar).

19. CJPA

CJPA New Member

You can't get the Z06 brakes on the Z51.
    You can't get a Z06 with a Targa or Convertible.
    You can't get a Dry Sump on the LS3 in the Base C6 OR the Z51.
    And you can't get an Automatic in a Z06 (that would be gay anyways)
    With the Z06s starting in the 70-80k range, the 55k opening GS price is pretty good and fills all those gaps.

20. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Agreed.

21. Smelly-Kitten

Smelly-Kitten Dept. of Redundancy Department *Side Pipes

He's comparing a new C6 price to a used E46? How about a used C5 Z06 which matches M3 pricing yet spanks it in every outside interior. But if you're looking for 4 seats then the comparison is invalid anyways.

22. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

If someone wants a Vette, they should buy a Vette. If they want a BMW, they should buy a BMW. Who gives a shit what "The Mechanic" thinks.

23. CJPA

CJPA New Member

Certainly not I.

24. rockstar b

rockstar b no OT Supporter

i would hardly call a hand built, dry-sump LS3 and Z06 brakes "parts bin crap"

25. rockstar b

rockstar b no OT Supporter

This is nothing but hardcore trolling