Edmunds - 2007 Cadillac Escalade AWD

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, May 11, 2006.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Big box Caddy

[​IMG]
    Although designed for a life on pavement, the Escalade is sure-footed in light snow.

By Erin Riches
    Date posted: 05-07-2006

403 hp from 6.2-liter V8 - Six-speed automatic - Zero to 60 in 7.5 seconds - Optional 22-inch wheels

We're driving a 2007 Cadillac Escalade, which means we've enjoyed a week's worth of middle-aged office guys asking us about Nelly, Snoop and other hip-hop artists they'd never listen to with the windows down. Yet they wouldn't even crack a smile when we invited them to suit up in Fubu and take a ride down the Sunset Strip.

We should go easier on them. Snoop may set the image for Cadillac's full-size luxury SUV, but according to company officials, it's our office buds who are buying most of them. And what they really want is a big, brash Caddy that's powerful, refined and easy to drive. And for 2007 that's exactly what Cadillac has given them.

Boxed in, bored out

[​IMG]
    Optional Intellibeam headlights automatically switch between low and high beams, depending on ambient light conditions.

Just like the Tahoe we tested a few months ago, the '07 Escalade rides on an all-new frame. It's fully boxed and much stiffer than the old one, which allowed Cadillac's engineers to fine-tune the chassis dynamics. They also brought in more sophisticated hardware, including coil-over-shock front suspension, rack and pinion steering and aluminum lower control arms, which Cadillac says reduces unsprung weight by almost 20 pounds. Doesn't sound like much, but with massive 22-inch chrome wheels now available as factory equipment, any savings in this department is a good thing.

Overall, the '07 Escalade weighs 130 pounds more than its predecessor, a relatively modest gain when you take into account the new frame and 3.5 inches of additional length, now at 202.5 inches. The wheelbase length is unchanged at 116 inches.

To shave weight, GM's powertrain engineers used aluminum to cast the engine's block instead of iron. To deliver the off-the-line shove Escalade buyers crave, they bored last year's overhead-valve, 6.0-liter V8 out to 6.2 liters and added variable valve timing on both its intake and exhaust valves. The results are hardly disappointing, as the small block delivers 403 horsepower at 5,700 rpm and 417 pound-feet of torque at 4,400 rpm.

Putting it to the ground

[​IMG]
    It may not have a low-range transfer case or a locking differential, but the Caddy manages just fine in the mud. All that bling doesn't look nearly so pretty, though.

A new six-speed automatic transmission makes better use of the V8's fat powerband than last year's four-speed unit, channeling torque to all four wheels on all-wheel-drive Escalades or just the rear wheels on 2WD models. Upshifts are crisp and downshifts are impeccably timed.

In addition to a tow-haul mode that optimizes shift points for lugging trailer loads of up to 7,700 pounds, the new transmission has a manual mode. It's a little awkward to work the button on the old-school column shifter, but it's the real deal: No computer's going to upshift for you, even if you find the 5,900-rpm rev limiter.

EPA ratings aren't out yet, but Cadillac is estimating 13 mpg city, 19 mpg highway on the AWD Escalade. Our AWD test vehicle averaged 12.5 mpg over a week of testing. Cylinder deactivation technology is coming, says Cadillac, but company officials wouldn't get more specific than "soon." A hybrid version is promised for 2008.

Blindsided by a Benz

[​IMG]
    Ride quality is smooth and forgiving on pavement. And the cabin stays quiet.

On public roads, our Escalade tester moved out briskly, unruffled by higher altitudes and larger passenger loads.

At the test track, though, it took almost a second longer to hit 60 mph than the '07 Mercedes GL450 we tested recently, timing 7.5 seconds to the Benz's 6.7. The Caddy went through the quarter-mile in 15.8 seconds compared to 15.1 for the GL450. The GL makes just 335 hp from a smaller V8 but is 400 pounds lighter.

Although the Mercedes can't match the Escalade's gentle roar under full throttle, that's small consolation when you've been sucker-punched by your neighbor's Benz.

To make matters worse, the Escalade can't stop anywhere near as short, either. Cadillac has fitted the '07 model with larger rotors and stiffer calipers, and the rear brakes have a dynamic proportioning feature to improve performance during towing. Problem is, you get the same braking system whether your Escalade has the standard 18-inch wheels or the optional 22s, which significantly increase the burden on the brakes.

Cadillac says braking distances are unaffected by the weight of the larger wheels, but our Escalade used 144 feet to stop from 60 mph at the track
    . Not only is that 17 feet longer than the GL's braking distance, it's only one foot shorter than an '03 Escalade. Although we suspect our tester might have performed a little better with a few more miles under its belt (it had just over 300 at the time), a luxury vehicle should always be able to break 140 feet. Our '07 Tahoe also had brand-new brakes and it stopped in 133.

On the plus side, pedal feel is greatly improved over the previous-gen Escalade.

Handling's so refined

[​IMG]
    For $3 grand, you can swap out the standard 18s for these shiny 22s. Unfortunately, the bigger wheels add to unsprung weight and compromise the Escalade's braking ability.

Its brakes may have disappointed, but the Escalade's ride and handling did nothing but impress. Ride quality rivals a luxury sedan for smoothness and serenity, as only the most severe ruts remind you there's a solid axle in back.

Throw in a few sweeping turns and the Escalade doesn't flinch, thanks to its adaptive Road Sensing Suspension. It's the same thing as Autoride on the Tahoe and consists of electronically controlled shocks that are either "on" or "off," rather than being infinitely adaptable like other setups. Sounds less sophisticated but it controls body roll just as well.

In tighter corners, you begin to feel the Cadillac's 5,700 pounds, but it's still easy to control. The steering rack feels like it was yanked from an import-brand SUV. Weighting and precision are excellent.

Instrumented testing yielded 0.71g on the skidpad and a 58 mph slalom speed
    , but the inability to shut off the stability control system prevented us from fully exploiting the Escalade's capabilities. This was also true of the GL450, which performed about the same but wore smaller 18-inch tires.

Off pavement, the Escalade's lack of an available low-range transfer case or even a locking center differential is a huge disadvantage. However, we took the Caddy for a romp in wet snow and it tracked fine through the gunk, which is all most buyers will require.

More luxury but missed details

[​IMG]
    With its tastefully applied wood and aluminum trim and double-stitched leather, the new Escalade feels like a luxury vehicle.

For the first time, the Escalade's interior isn't completely out of whack with its high asking price. With its tastefully applied faux wood and aluminum trim, double-stitched leather and blue-needled electroluminescent gauges, the Escalade feels like a luxury vehicle. At least up front. There are low-grade plastics in the cargo area where Cadillac evidently thinks no one will look.

An AWD Escalade starts at $57,280, a sum that gets you leather, a 5.1 Bose sound system, heated first- and second-row seats, full-length side curtain airbags and numerous power-operated accessories, including the liftgate. Our fully optioned tester was also equipped with an entertainment system, a navigation system, a rear camera, cooled front seats and a heated steering wheel for a total of $66,110.

Even with all these electronics on board, the '07 Escalade provides a simple control interface. The central touchscreen actually adds to day-to-day functionality rather than compromising it, and getting started with the nav system couldn't be easier. Unfortunately, as you'll read in the stereo evaluation, our test vehicle's Bose audio system had numerous electrical glitches.

Adjustable pedals are standard, but the steering wheel doesn't telescope and offers only three tilt settings. Still, most people will be able to find a comfortable driving position, and with audible rear sensors and a camera watching your back, the risk of running over co-workers is greatly reduced. Meanwhile, the risk of having to buy flowers from street vendors is increased by the Caddy's lack of auto-up windows.

Ample room unless you're thirsty

[​IMG]
    We really like how you can build a custom list of XM, AM and FM stations on one easy-to-use row of touchscreen buttons.

Adults will also find the second-row hospitality acceptable: Captain's chairs are standard, and although the seat-bottom cushions are a tad short, legroom is ample and the seatbacks recline.

Compared to last year, the third row offers a little less legroom but a little more head- and shoulder room. The seat bottom is still too low to the floor to keep adults quiet for longer than half an hour, but it's fine for children. An optional power-fold feature for the second-row chairs is a good idea if you're dealing with passengers who don't understand the concept of fold-and-flip.

While there's plenty of room for families of six to get comfortable, road trips are likely to be messy. None of the cupholders can hold anything larger than a regular-size coffee, which doesn't make sense in the land of the Biggie Coke. And there's no storage at all in the second row, even though a console would fit between the seats.

Additionally, when you need to clear out the third-row seats to make way for cargo, you still have to muscle them into your garage. That's because the Escalade lacks the independent rear suspension typically required to package fold-flat seating. It does, however, offer a generous 109 cubic feet of capacity, thanks to its lower cargo floor.

Roca Wear or Levis

[​IMG]
    Completely redesigned and more radiant than ever, the 2007 Cadillac Escalade is the most refined domestic SUV on the market.

These interior fumbles might go unnoticed if the QX56 and Lincoln Navigator were the Escalade's only competition. But with the Mercedes GL450 on the scene and matching the Caddy on price, they're as glaring as those shiny 22s. Same goes for the weak brakes.

Even so, the 2007 Cadillac Escalade is easily the most refined domestic SUV on the market. It's satisfyingly quick, reassuringly agile and surprisingly quiet and luxurious. Now we understand why Snoop sees eye to eye with the guys in Accounting.

[​IMG]

What Works:
    Superb drivetrain, refined ride and handling characteristics, sharp interior design with simple controls, comfortable seats.

What Needs Work:
    Weak brakes, inconsistent interior materials quality, missing key features, glitchy audio system.

Bottom Line:
    Easily the most refined domestic SUV on the market, but a tough sell over Benz's new GL450.

Second Opinion

[​IMG]

Inside Line Editor in Chief Richard Homan says:
    I wanted to write this second opinion without using "bling," but it turns out that I can't. Turns out, I'm reminded of the flashy, mouthy middle linebacker on my high school's football team, Bling Harwood. Bling H. had a lot of things in common with the new GMT900-based 2007 Cadillac Escalade — flashy physique, solid platform and a ton of horsepower; both were fairly nimble for such muscular beasts with not an ounce of subtlety about either of them; and both were always drinking (one gasoline, the other beer). One is a full-size SUV, the other was a full-sized SOB. And I expect that if you stuck 22-inch chrome alloy wheels on big Bling Harwood, he'd eclipse those monster dubs the same way the Caddy does.

What none of us in high school saw, however, was inside Bling Harwood. Inside the '07 Escalade, there's a nicely laid-out set of modern sensibilities and a lot of room in the first two rows. Subtle? No. But stylish? Yeah. Same story, it turns out, with Bling Harwood. These days, he's a power player, pulling down six figures. His cheerleader girlfriend (now wife) Debbie had it all figured out: "You all want your elegant lifestyles and bragging rights at the Club, but I just want my Bling."

So if all you want is your Bling (and 403 horsepower), you should definitely marry the new Escalade.

Road Test Editor Brian Moody says:
    I think the one thing we can all agree on is that the new Escalade is much better-looking and is now one of the sharpest-looking SUVs around. Based on exterior styling alone I might pick it over, say, a Range Rover. The new interior is obviously a step up over the previous Escalade as well.

I also like this big Caddy's ride but I was disappointed by how much smoothness seems to be taken away when the 22-inch wheels are ordered — really, I don't need to be noticed that badly. I love the smooth power delivery, and the exhaust note is perfectly tuned to sound a little aggressive without being annoying. I have no doubt this Escalade will be very successful and most buyers will be pleased with their purchase.

However, our optioned-out truck carried a price tag of $66,000. For that price I cannot, nor should I have to, overlook irritating problems like a finicky audio/DVD entertainment system, the lack of one-touch up and down windows (the VW Jetta has it on all four windows), lack of fold-flat third-row seats and the fact that one of the armrests in the second row of seats felt like it would fall off at any moment. That kind of thing is simply unacceptable when you're talking about Cadillac's all-new flagship vehicle.

I noticed a lot of people giving the new Escalade some pretty hard looks. Then I noticed an entirely different set of people coming up to me and asking very specific questions about features, price and options — these people were Escalade owners and they liked what they saw. As it turns out, there's a big difference between those who want an Escalade and those who can actually afford one.

Great-looking and comfortable, this new Escalade is impressive in many ways but please, Cadillac, put someone in charge of nothing but details. Iron out those little things and there'd be no good reason to pick any other luxury SUV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

looks good. i like cadillac

3. TriShield

If KDubb could turn into a vehicle like Turbo Teen, this is what he would become.

4. Masta Z

Masta Z FUCK BOSTON

seen many on the road
    lets say
    id take a black Tahoe over that any day

5. TireSmokinSRT

TireSmokinSRT Bring in the stunt cock

they are badass. if they come out with an extended version i may buy it after my truck goes off lease.

6. Swak

Swak Artificially known as ObsoleteAsian

My pops is picking up one of these and doing some work to it, can't wait to see the final piece.

7. Nyce

Nyce .

:hs:

It looks very good. I like the interior a lot. But holy shit almost 70 grand. :hs: Range Rover for me.. thanks

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

its got VTEC :eek5:

9. TriShield

Extended and truck models should hit dealers soon.

10. TireSmokinSRT

superb.

anyone else think the new Yukon looks like complete fucking ass?

11. TriShield

Watch the video, it sounds like it has an LS2 under the hood. :eek5:

12. yofmatt

yofmatt New Member

.71 on the skidpad? :eek5:

13. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

yukon?

i dunno, does it look the same as the tahoe? because I :love: the new tahoe

14. TriShield

:wavey:

Fuck GMC and the Yukon.

15. B_O_T

B_O_T Calcio Italiano ftw

16. TireSmokinSRT

no, the headlights look like dogshit. They are the same headlights as the envoy (which i own) but look terrible on the bigger Yukon

[​IMG]

:barf:

17. bigAges.

bigAges. Recognize Real.

saw one the other day, the chrome grill was on fire shining against the sun.

18. Derek

Derek OT Supporter

Tahoe >>>>> Yukon based on looks alone

19. 2DR Vette

2DR Vette We don't freestyle the Eyes of Texas, Big Boy.

I'd rock it if I had the $65,000 to blow. :cool:

20. Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction New Member

i wonder if my uncle is gonna get one... he usually gets a new esco-lade ever 2 years

21. Slappy3243

Slappy3243 Ello?

Wow, that is really nice. That is a GORGEOUS interior and the VVT is a sweet bonus. Great looking truck.

22. herpes

herpes OT Supporter

so nice looking

the GMCs are busted

23. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

I love the way the new Escalade looks :bowdown:.

24. Werm

Werm Guest

Look at those offroad conditions!

[​IMG]

A geo metro wouldn't have a problem

25. tqpolo

tqpolo ***** Platinum Member OT Supporter

I still can't believe that interior is GM.