MMA Eddie Bravo Half Guard

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GeeGee, Dec 11, 2007.

1. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

I have been recently getting into more Eddie Bravo stuff and it all kind of makes sense. Especially after watching his Twister Bio DVD it seems like he was owning everyone with his technique.

My question is that have any of you adopted any of his techniques and if so, what kind of success have you had with it? I understand it requires a lot of flexibility for his Rubber Guard but his Half Guard game looks pretty solid.

Especially this quick sub: Kamikaze Calf Crank
    [​IMG]

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

thats not a particularly effective submission.. eddie will admit that himself.

as far as his half guard game.. its good. but everyone develops their half guard differently. dont try to model your game after somebody unless it REALLY works for you. I love a lot of guys technique. Doesn't mean I can grapple the way that they do. I have to find my own way. Grab little bits and pieces that work for you, and leave the rest until youre more comfortable with it.

3. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

KCC is going to be used more as a sweep than a submission. I have been trying it alot. I have started using Bravo's Lockdown, then Jaws of Life, and then the Whip Up. I have found that a good bit of people get off balance enough when you do the Whip Up that you can drive right through them and sweep them over

4. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

I also used the Powder Keg last night on a guy that hasnt been coming very long, it felt glorious

5. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I don't know why everyone sack rides Eddie's nuts so much... if you go over to Sherdog, people treat him like he's the 2nd coming of Rickson.

6. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Probably because he is an innovator and tapped Royler which sets him apart from your everyday black belt.

7. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Yea, read about that in the book. He said in tournaments it doesn't get taps because of opponent's adrenaline nullifying the pain. Would still be a cool one for class though and, as someone mentioned above, is a great transition for a sweep.

Also, point taken on the copying someone's game part. My game right now from half is usually a good sweep to mount/top half guard transition but it never hurts to check out what everyone else is doing. Lockdown definitely looks effective. Having trouble with maintaining rubber guard on stronger opponents.

8. MyLittleAirport

Innovator? How so? Rubber guard? Ever heard of Nino Schembri?

The Twister? Its just a gullotine in wrestling, any highschool wrestler knows that move or seen it before.

Yeah he tapped out Royler but he scored ZERO points against his next opponent, 15-0.

What other accomplishments has he done? Not much.

He also discredits the Gi aspect of BJJ when he himself has started out with Gi under a Machado, thats pretty disrespectful.

I don't see anything special about this guy, he's just taking his one major win over a major competitor and has been living off of it ever since.

I mean, don't get me wrong, he's a good grappler and will tap me out any day but I just don't see why everyone think he's so great.

9. MyLittleAirport

People over at Sherdog were actually saying that BJ Penn should learn under Eddie Bravo :ugh: :uh:

10. >DRIVEN<

>DRIVEN< Hi

is there a site with more pic these pics of vids?

11. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

True that the twister was a wrestling move which Eddie incorporated into Jiu JItsu but you gotta admit he is one of the few people to take a different approach towards Jiu-Jitsu. He's creative and it works for him. Definitely not the best.. and definitely not better than Penn.. but he's good. No one can win all of their fights all of the time.

12. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i cant stand the guy, but without people like him sports like jj and mma would never progress.

13. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

there's your answer to that

14. MyLittleAirport

Each time I go over there, I always get frustrated by some of the idiotic stuff they say. And the sad part is, those posts aren't trolling posts :squint:

Sherdog is good for keeping up to date on news though, they're usually updated on rumors and other news such as card updates.

15. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i see it as a pros and cons issue.

to me checking their site for news is not worth having to be subjected to their idiocy, even just the window that shows recent threads.

16. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

He gives Nino alot of credit in his books and tell what he took from him. And if you have ever read any of his stuff, you will understand alittle about how his views on the gi came around.

17. MyLittleAirport

Thats good to hear, I am being ignorant on my part on not reading any of his book, if I ever come across his books, I'll give em a read.

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

before or after the death threats?

19. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Suck a dick

20. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Like on the portion on the Gogoplata, the first line is "This is a move I took from Nino Schembri

21. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

wow, taking Eddie Bravo comments to heart. :ugh:

22. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Eddie Bravo is good at what he does, I don't get the hate. He is a very skilled grappler, he has a solid ground game and can prove it.

23. Al_Kayduh

Al_Kayduh Guest

eddie bravo is a badass. i would give anytihing to lick the sweat off his balls

24. MyLittleAirport

Oh yeah? You should check your room tonight then..

25. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

It always seems like the new guys at the gym (6months or under) are always coming in with this new eddie bravo move that they saw on youtube, and want to try it out. I think there must be some sort of appeal that he has to newer or maybe younger individuals. Like his stuff is some new type of jits that will dominate everything else.

Dont get me wrong I love pulling rubber guard to omoplata if I can get an arm isolated, but Im not going to rubber guard every time im on my back. There are pieces of it that work well for me and pieces that dont.

I think that one of the major traps for jits is people get crazy about learning new techniques but cant even hold mount or side control well (fundamentals).