GUN EDC fixed blade?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4W4K3, Dec 12, 2006.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Need: Fixed Blade EDC knife

Prefer: Small/Short, one-piece, non-serrated, simplistic styling

Don't Want: expensive/decorative handles, folders, long

I use my knives in an auto shop alot, so it needs to be able to take some abuse and get oily and greasy just about everyday. I can clean a knife, but if it has wood inlays or a fancy handle it will ruin easily. I also don't need a massive 7-8" knife, I was hoping to stay under 5".

So far the ONLY thing I can find is this - http://www.crkt.com/sting.html

Any other options? The Sting isn't too bad for the intended purpose but I was hoping for moer options. It is just a little longer than I preferred as well.

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Oops I fell in love

[​IMG]

Benchmade 211 Activator - ~$70 I think.

More than I wanted to pay, and it has wood panels. But it's size is perfect (jsut over 5") and it's a Benchmade...can't really put a price on what I like :p

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  3. RRTX

RRTX New Member

The Sting is a no go, double edged knives are illegal to carry in TX, it falls under the definition of a dagger.

4. Iloveguns

Iloveguns New Member

I just ordered a Sting :noes:

40 bucks shipped.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I figured as much. And the 211 is pretty rare I guess, not in stock anywhere reputable :( Still looking for options though.

EDIT: I'm on my lunch break now. But just wanted to say the knife will also be used for alot of prying. so a shorter thicker blade would really help. Again, the 211 would be perfect if I could find one.

6. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

7. sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks Patron Saint of Quality Footwear

Ontario RAT3. 3.5" D2 Steel, black micarta handle.
    [​IMG]

Really wouldn't want to use it as a pry bar though. Look into some Busses or swamp rats if you're going to do a lot of prying. Top notch knives, but $$$ though.

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

9. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

10. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I concur. Pretty unique though, I like the Claw design.

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Yah I was looking for a short knife, preferrably 5" overall. I know they are hard to find, and the ones I do find are expensive. I'd just hate to walk into work and whip out a 9" bowie knife to open a box, or pry off a wheel weight, or something like that.

I have alot of folding knives. The problem is they get dirty everyday, and the gaps inbetween the blade and the handle, the locking mechanism, etc. get corroded and grimy everyday. Makes for an annoying clean up and a very sticky knife at the end of each day.

Having a fixed blade, preferrably one piece kind of elimenates all the work. I can spray it down and wipe it off, re-sharpen if necessary and be done with it. It's gonna get abused os spending $200+ on one is pretty counter-productive.

Alot of what I see in the fixed blade category screams, "I'm going to hunt you down in the forest and gut you." I just want it to say, "Oh Hi. I'm going to open this box now." :mamoru:

12. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

13. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Ive got a fixed blade Benchamde myself. Too lazy to get it out to look at the model number but its a nice little blade

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bam! Trying to find a retailer in the US. Linder made knife. Blade is between 5cm-10cm. They make a TON of small fixed blade knives, hunting oriented, all relatively in-expensive. I was hoping to shy away from the bowie/combat looking knife.

15. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Thing with the short knives is that while they are expensive, they end up being worth it since you end up using it quite a large amount. Bowie knives are fun to have, but I agree that it makes no sense to carry one with you daily.

I have carried a folding knife daily for the past year and a half (kershaw Blur) and I have yet to run into a problem with it being too dirty to operate appropriatley. It ALWAYS opens correctly and never sticks. I have cleaned it 2 times and sharpened it three. It is still sharp as the day as I bought it. Never lets me down. I absolutely love this knife.

In all reality, you have to take into consideration how much you will use it. A 200$ knife ends up being a lot more reasonable when you think you will use it everyday for the next 2 years. It ends up at less than 50 cents a day. I think that's worth it for everyday use.

Fixed blades always scream "I'm going to hunt you down in the forest and gut you." weither you like it or not. They are practical for what you may want to use it for, but to most people a knife like what your looking at is scary. Hell, even my Blur scares a few people when I pull it out on a daily basis.

Regaurdless, goodluck on your search. I really hope that you find something that meets your needs. I know how tough it can be to narrow down a search to what you really really want. That's one of the reasons I started collecting in the first place :noes:

16. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Oh and I'm drunk so I don't know if that made sense or not :mamoru:

17. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

lol it made sense :) i woke up this morning and still wanted a Linder so it looks like that might end up being my final choice. Of course, that Ontario and the Benchmade would be nice to have too. I might end up broadening my collection if Christmas is good to me lol.