COMIC ED Replacement?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Mr Coffee, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

I've been thinking about it for a while (well, not much really :p), but to be honest i'm not that happy with ED...
    I feel we could do better. I've pmed axio about it, but still not reply...

So i thought we should create our own forum/site?
    Just throwing the idea out there. Because if it'll be made, i'm quite willing to carry the financial side of it.
    As for host, if you check the main forum the paid sticky is quite good. And i asked if it was okay to host comic content and he said it would probably be okay (ToS says again'st warez, but it's not really... is it :p);
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3547127

What'cha say?

2. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

Nothing bigger than 30 gb...

3. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

We already paid so we might as well run out our contract :o

4. kelvs

kelvs OT Supporter

This is gonna be like old WS ? web + ftp ?

Who's gonna design the front page and make user passwords etc ? No problem with me though. :dunno:

5. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

True, true. But the website itself would only host the newer uploads. For the older comics/collections i was thinking of a different host like bluehost or FastNext that does 300 and 500gb worth of memory... However, if there was a demand for more storage, i'd be certainly happy to help provide it. But as we're starting out, it might not be a bad thing.

I was hoping for someting like that, yes. I'm a decent designer, but i have honestly no skills when it comes to programming so i would need some help.

6. void

void oh yeah?

wouldn't it end up the same way warskrull went down? wasn't it something about the host refusing to keep the space open with everyone downloading a single type of file. or was it something else? i can't really remember anymore.

7. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

The problem is those hosting deals are intended for websites and not file servers. Even when the TOS doesn't specifically exclude that use they always cry foul at the traffic OT generates. It's happened over and over again; Warskrull, Anime Crew, OTAH.

Sooner or later, they always get shut down.

8. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Yepp, it was the fact that we downloaded too many of .cbr files.
    But if we keep it slightly limited, we should duck under the radar. Not to mention that we could zip/rar 'em often, or hell, even rename the .cbr extensions using something like FileBoss and everyone can do it at their end as well.

Then we'll re-host. It's not much of a problem for me, to be honest, if we keep regular back-ups. But an idea that did occur to me if we did have a normal forum/website, i can always fix up multiple file hosters that we can rotate around so as not to put ourselves on the radar.

9. kelvs

kelvs OT Supporter

I usually get my new stuffs from weekly releases :o
    I used to get stuffs from WS before to check out back issues.

And if we keep on rehosting and also renaming files, that's just too much of a hassle. :o

10. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Then fuck the renaming, and let's just re-host. I'm throwing ideas out there. But i think the different host idea would work better. It's not as much hassle as the renaming files and we'd save on bandwidth...

And just to clarify, i meant the normal website itself would host newer stuff. Everything else would be hosted elsewhere.

11. Macgyver

Macgyver Deep beneath the rolling waves...

What about torrents? We could do requests for back catalogs, it'd be perfect for the new releases.

12. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

I'm all for torrents, i just don't have the know-how, so...

13. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Couldn't even get access to ED....Ark, what were some problems that you had with it?

14. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Basically i couldn't upload a squat. I downloaded about 3 gigs worth of various comics, but i couldn't upload en masse or even more than one single at a time, it was just crashing on me. I then tried the java-internet version and that one worked, but it was about 15kb/sec and that wasn't just worth it at all...

15. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

Ive had no issues at all with Elephant Desktop ( i cant use ED or ill just laugh). Both uploading and downloading from home and work.

If you can think of and find a better solution for us, id be all ears. I sent my donation in for elephant desktop, so i dont mind as long as i can still have access to comics that i dont buy :hs:

16. axio

axio New Member

I've been in Argentina for work. If you guys want to set up something other than ED then we'll need a lot of money. Torrents are risky. Marvel and DC are going after Z-Cult FM now that they have digital comics available. I don't really read comics much anymore due to time restrictions :(

17. kelvs

kelvs OT Supporter

If Arkadian would be kind enough to setup the server and hosting for us, then all we need are people who're willing to reupload everything they got. And of course a little bit of scripting for the site. :dunno:

18. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

I'd be more than happy to do the funding. However, due to christmas shopping and uni fee payments, i'd have to do it around Januari time. But just thought i should get some support going for this, before launching anything.

19. Bobbot

I have no problem uploading what I have.

20. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Well, I've had issues out of all of the types of ED. I simply stopped trying. I miss WS something fierce, but I'll support anything similar. I was very sad when it went down, so I'm not sure I can have my comic-emotions pulled around like that too many more times, so if we decided to recreate something like WS can we please do whatever we can to ensure its survival?

I only have about 5 gigs of comics on my laptop these days, but I'll upload whatever is needed and pay whatever I can... You all know I'm pretty much at the mercy of digital comic scanners while I'm overseas, so yea...

13 days till I'm back in the States and able to read a real comic! :drool:

21. gthesob

I uploaded a gig or two to ED, but I never downloaded anything and I just kind of forgot about it. Part of the reason is I hate using their shitty app so much.

22. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Yeah, i agree with you both, i really dislike the application. Useless, really... Hence this idea. But yeah, i'll get straight on finding some good hosts and try to sort some shit out. Expect some definitive results around new year.

23. Bobbot

I'd love to have an ftp site again. It was easy to upload to also. And DTA was a godsend.

24. gthesob

Being able to use our own FTP client is so much easier. Not to mention it doesn't cut our transfer speed in half.

25. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

Okay, so i've started rolling the ball.
    Set up a website that will act as a front ready. Just need to whip up some designs and i'll show you laters. But for now, the question is do we go ftp or direct downloads? I'm thinking the latter because it'd make the front work better as it explains why people are downloading so much, but a much-used ftp might be slightly harder to explain.

Also some of the regulations on the website would be no .cbr's. At all.
    I've spoken to a friend of mine who has the same host and the best suggestion i was told was that, like previously (see WS), downloading a lot of cbr/cbz files will put us on the spot.