ECS K7SOM motherboard networking issues...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Grelmar, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Running Ubuntu 5.1 (Breezy)

AMD Duron Pro 1800+
    ECS K7SOM+ ATX Motherboard

Onboard Ethernet died a couple years ago.
    PCI Network card worked fine until a few days ago.

Two weeks ago, installed Breezy on this machine, installed the Automatix package, everything was working grand. Older processor/motherboard, but runs slick with Ubuntu.

A couple of days ago, for reasons I can't figure out, the networking simply stopped working.

In "Network Settings" eth0 - the onboard network adapter is listed as "active", which is fine, it's always listed as active, and just plain doesn't work (on WinXP or Knoppix or Ubuntu).

eth1 (PCI Network card) - Also listed as active (also been fine forever). But simply won't connect to the net. Tried disabling DHCP and manually punching in the IP and subnet mask (hooked up through a DLink router), which has cleared my way in the past, but again, no dice.

Tried running Ubuntu Live and Knoppix Live, but neither want to pick up on the connection. Tried all steps with a direct line to the cable modem, again, no dice. Tried all steps again using a crossover cable (and later with standard eth cable) to another Ubuntu machine that works fine. Nada.

Replaced network card with one I know works, repeated all above tests. No luck.

Checked the BIOS for anomalies, and BIOS seems fine.

Suspect it's a BIOS issue, because problem persists regardless of OS environment.

Stumped.

Any ideas??

Please make me feel dumb for missing the obvious.

(NB: Everything else, hard drive, sound card, internal CD RW and external DVD +/- RW - all systems go for launch).

2. Synner

Synner New Member

No help to be offered here, I just blew the same motherboard in my mom's computer. Just so you know, though, it's a Duron 1.2. And that whole onboard processor thing always just pissed me off.

3. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Yeah, it's a bit of a wonky board. I definitely would recommend against home users picking one up, just because of all the restrictions the architecture imposes.

But for a basic office type *nix machine, it's a pretty good runner. If I can get this network thing sorted out.

The networking was up and running for a while (after 1st install of Ubuntu, and right through all the media plugin patches), but then just vanished for no reason I can figure out.

Knoppix won't even acknowledge the networking anymore, and it used to. (I used Knopp as a basic compatibility test before going with the Ubuntu install - if Knopp can get along with a computer, usually Ubuntu can as well.)