Eclipse or Shiva?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Biggg Willy, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Biggg Willy

Biggg Willy New Member

Hey guys,

Right now, I have a good (IMHO) sounding system that i'm quite happy with. I've got Alpine CDA 9811, four Infinity 5002i, one Infinty 310a, and a 10" infinity 1030w. I very much like the way it sounds.

My concern is this: I am worried that the single voice coil sub is not going to last. I have heard many stories of SVC subs going south at around 3 months of use. I don't listen to my music at ear-bleeding levels, infact, you can barely hear the music outside the car.

So, I was looking at DVC subwoofers. Specifically, ones with good musical qualities. My local dealer suggested I go with an Eclipse 10". I can't rememeber which one exactly, but it costs $199 CDN, and would be a (parallel) 2ohm load. But, I just checked out the Shiva on the internet, and one can be had for $149 CDN. I've known about the shiva for about 5 years, and its always been a highly regarded sub. I'm not sure what the impedance of the shiva is when its wired in parallel, but i'm pretty sure its not 2ohm.

The amp is 2ohm stable, 115w at 4ohm, and 311w at 2ohm, so I think it would be best to go to a 2ohm setup, but I just don't know if the eclipse is worth the extra money.

Thanks very much for your time guys, any opinions are welcome!

Will.

2. 04

04 Guest

Well, there is nothing about a dual voice coil subwoofer that makes it more prone to destruction than a single coil. Unless of course you consider that one coil could be blown, and the other still functioning, but in that case, the speaker would effectively be broken, since one coil is toast. You would still have the same size and amount of wire in the coil whether its DVC or SVC.

I'd personally get the Shiva, as its less expensive, and I don't know much about the Eclipse. You could use the Shiva with a 100 watt amplifier, and it would probably get loud enough for you. The Shiva needs a relatively large enclosure though.