Eclipse is the Cat's Ass

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, May 10, 2005.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Best Development platform I ever used. Strongly based on patterns... created by the guys that literally "wrote the book" about design patterns. The IDE is great. The fact that its open source and composed of plugins, means that you can search system components for examples of how to build your own plugins. Rich Client Platform means that you include only which capabilities you need: Eclipse is not just an IDE. Its a rich application framework. The Graphical Editing framework is super-duper. It is fun to modify your object graphically.

Eclipse is the bomb. Stop using what you're using, and start building in, and on, eclipse.

Bitches.

2. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

and yet there is still no plug in to create java GUI on the fly like you can in visual studio for C#

correct me if i am wrong

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

No, there is. It uses the Graphical Editing Framework I so adore. Although personally I don't use it. I got used to laying out GUIs in half a dozen languages, and its such a small part of the overall time consumption in the applications I do that it ain't no thing. Most of my time so far has been spent getting modeling in GEF to work for my problem domain.

Its still under development. As usual, they are setting it up to allow you to plug-in GUI design for many languages and GUIs, as well as Java SWT/JFace and AWT/Swing.

Is there a Visual Studio equivalent to the Graphical Editing Framework? I've been wondering this lately... www.eclipse.org/gef

4. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

are u that lazy to write gui code for Java? :hsugh:

5. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

yea it can be a bitch sometimes :ugh: java has like no absolute positioning, you misplace or size one thing wrong and the whole gui goes to trash :ugh:

If you make a complicated GUI it can become very time consuming and i have other things to worry about than just GUI, but i guess you are guys like gurus so it's easy for you to code :o Personally for me it's tedious

6. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

I know of swing and awt but what is JFace?

7. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i'll check that out :bigthumb:

last time i used eclipse was 2 years ago i think, and they didnt have anything good for GUI (unless they had this graphical editing framework and i just didnt know about it)

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Eclipse is indeed awesome. The CVS integration is pretty godly.

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

:werd:

We joke around at school saying eclipse has so many plugins and features, there has to be one to control the ISS enviromental controls. :mamoru:

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You must be talking about Swing. I don't know or use Swing, and I never have. The alternative libraries, crafted for the construction of Eclipse, are called SWT/JFace. They are sets of widgets and viewers that you use to build GUIs. Only, instead of being Java based graphical representations like Swing... they are native widgets on the OS you are working on: Linux, Windows, or OS X. Kinda like AWT was supposed to be, but good instead of sucky. SWT handles widgets, JFace builds on this for common tasks. With a grid layout, you can exactly position soething in SWT/JFace.

BTW, the visual editor is called "The Visual Editor Project." http://www.eclipse.org/vep/

I am gonna download it and try...

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Team is cool because its generic. You can setup a repository on a filesystem, without CVS, or you can use other versioning systems... all with a common interface for the user. Neat!

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I downloaded and used VE. Its a snap! I dig, man. I dig. Half screen GUI for GUIs, half screen code generation text editor. WOO WOO.

13. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

last time i checked, it was a pain in the dick to get an Eclipse mono environment up and running, so i just uninstalled it. That was a few months ago though.

14. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

well thats what i was talking about, it has no good Tools for SWING which is platform independent, if you start using platform dependent librarires such as SWT/JFace, java kind of losses a purpose no? can use C# instead for example
    i didnt check out that visual editor project yet, but does it help you make easy swing gui because it says " SWT and Swing support", i am guessing it does

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

No dude, you don't get it. SWT/JFace is both platform independant, and uses native widgets. They do an implementation for each platform, but you use a common API for all of them. If a widget isn't available on an OS, they do their own implementation. That way you get native performance and feel, as well as platform independance... as long as you're on *NIX, Windows, or OS X. Check it out. Its cool.

VE does Swing, yes.

16. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i just started using Eclipse :)

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Make sure to get the latest: 3.1M6.

18. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

hmmm i am on 3.0.2

say can you help me? im trying to develop Java on Eclipse with the J9 JVM. i must be misunderstanding something cause i cant get this thing to work at all.

I do "j9 HelloWorld" it says "Fatal Error: Unable to find and initialize required class java/lang/Object

OK so maybe i have to specify the path to it

am i supposed to unzip the classes.zip or something? but i have sample apps that do not need to do that. note that these sample apps use a batch file that run some stuff before actually running the app. something like this:

i dunno, i just wanna be able to do "j9 <class file>" and thats that. why is this so complicated...

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP!!

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  19. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

the only thing I don't like about eclipse is how unstable it is >< 1/3 times it hangs on startup

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Its never hung up on me. What version are you running, and on what OS? Eclipse is really quite stable... although I admit I once had the OS X version 3.0.1 freeze up on me. OS X is sort of the bastard child of Eclipse support.

Honestly other guy... I have no idea what the fuck J9 is. Sorry! Why are you working from the command line if you are building an eclipse project? Just click RUN. ;)

21. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

We pay 11ty billion dollars to IBM every year to use WSAD because it's a solid platform. It sucks Eclipse isn't working for you, but it's not an unstable app.

22. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

hmm, I'll have to see what I can do to prevent it from freezing, but I'm using winxp and it's 3.0.1 or so. jre 1.5.0_03

23. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

o i noe, i was just testing the J9 before actually using it in Eclipse. J9 is from IBM, altho i think they call it WebSphere something something...

24. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

WebSphere Studio Application Developer is the WSAD I was talking about

25. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

cant find a torrent for WSAD lol...