Eclipse Aluminum Vs. Titanium

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AMan, Nov 20, 2002.

1. AMan

AMan ???????????

I currently own 3 orginal Eclipse 8812 aluminum subs. Orginally I was going to install all 3 of these in my car, but decided that I dont need that much base and that much space being taken up in my trunk.

Now, instead of installing multiple subs, I'm thinking of doing a one sub setup. What I was wondering is, is the titanium so much better then the aluminum as to warrant selling all of my aluminums in order to get one titanium?

2. 04

04 Guest

Absolutely not. It would be foolish to assume one driver could beat 3 of the same size, considering that the drivers are all of decent displacement. I don't even have the specs for either, but I can already tell you that the 3 would beat the one driver, probably by around 4 to 6dB, and that is a lot. 2 of the aluminums would most likely beat one titanium. 2 would also be more efficient. The advantage the titanium would have though, is that it could work in a smaller box than 3 drivers would need, it would most certainly beat 1 driver, and it could handle more power.

3. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

3 vs 1 is no match. If you have a space issue then 1 would be the way to go. Are you looking for an sq setup? Why don't you sell the 3 Alums and get 2 Titaniums?

4. AMan

AMan ???????????

Space is an issue. I was thinking of doing a 1 sub setup. I meant to ask if one aluminum 12 was compared to one titanium 12, would the titanium take the cake for spl as well as sql in a well designed enclosure?

5. AMan

AMan ???????????

I'm leaning towards an sql setup. I thought of running two aluminums for a while but changed my mind. Like I said before, space is an issue. I want one kick ass sub thats loud but overall sounds good and is accurate.

6. 04

04 Guest

Well the Titanium will do that, and not require as much space as the 3 aluminums. But it will be more expensive and wont have as much output.