EBC Brakes for European Imports!?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by OniMinion, Sep 20, 2006.

?

Best Aftermarket Rotors/Pads Under $600????

Poll closed Nov 19, 2006.
  1. EBC

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Brembo

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Hawk Performance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ATE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Zimmerman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I've been reading that EBC is one of the better aftermarket brake pads to get. Especially when dealing with European & Eastern import cars; they suggest the EBC "Green Stuff" brake pads to compliment their rotors for my VW Mk IV. But they also have a EBC pad called "Red Stuff". Then of course there is ATE, Brembo, etc. I'm going to replace my pads in the next couple of weeks (my rotors are wrapped hella now). Any suggestions, stories or horror stories I should be aware of? PLEASE HELP! :hsr:

I am NOT going to consider the Brembo oversized or anything of that nature, I'm not keen on spending over 1,400 dollars for brakes. The EBC's for all my wheels works out to about 500 dollars, and I want to know if it is money well spent. Thanks OT community. :mepoke:

-Oni-

2. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

First of all before anyone gives you any kind of advice, we need to know what you want out of your brake system. What are your expections? How do you drive? What do you use your car for?

I'm going to suggest alot different stuff if its you're daily driver compared to if it's for your weekend racer.

EDIT: And you're poll is fundamentally flawed b/c IIRC, EBC is the only company up there that makes both pads and rotors.

3. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Stick with stock-quality pads unless you have changed up your rotors. And unless you have added power or weight to the car that absolutely neccesitates more stopping power, it is a complete waste of money.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I ordered a complete 4-wheel set of EBC pads and rotors for my Passat a little while ago. I'm happy with them.

EBC has an advantage in the friction business because they manufacture BOTH parts of the friction assembly -- the pads, and the rotors. Most companies only manufacture one. This lets EBC tune their pads to work specifically with their rotors, and it's why they can guarantee zero rotor damage if you use pads and rotors made by them.

I got RedStuff pads, by the way; Passats are not light cars, and with a 1.0 bar p-chip in the engine, it's nice to know I can still stop more than 3x as fast as I can accelerate.

5. OniMinion

Truth is I beat the hell out of my car... yes, this is my daily driver; however, I was looking for something that decreases brake distance. It's not uncommon for me to reach 100MPH out in the middle of nowwhere I call home. I want a performance brake system also because I have 18x8 Rims, and I like the idea of seeing them through the spokes.

I posted the poll because I DON'T know anything about brakes! If you have suggestions on whom I should post for manufactures, PM me them. Those are all the ones I could find for my specific car... I wasn't made aware of any other types. Thanks!

6. OniMinion

Also, I'm planning on replacing ALL rotors (front and rear) because they are all warped to hell! Probably because I, again, beat the hell out of my car.

7. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

I beat the hell out of my cars too, and never have I warped any rotors. If you treat them properly, and let them cool down (like you would your turbo after you bagg it hard), you shouldn't ever have a problem w/ rotors warping.

That being said, from my experience, you will be happy w/ EBC, Brembo or Powerslot rotors. Zimmerman's probably too, but they seem to be a little less quality. Also beware of Brembo's if they are x-drilled. Many shops will just buy Brembo blanks and drill them out thereselves. Not the greatest thing to be doing or buying.

As for pads - I'm skeptical of recommending Redstuff's to you. They require a fair bit of heat to be in their operating range, and create alot of dust for the street. Greenstuff's are awesome, but usually not so great w/ heavier cars. I don't know why, but alot of Mk4 guys and BMW guys bitch about them. I run them (along w/ their sport rotors) on my corrado and love the setup.

Hawk's are really good too. Seem to be a bit more of a popular choice for the heavier cars out there. HPS's should be suffice. HP+'s are a little more hardcore, but again i'd be skeptical to recommend them to you b/c of the heatup time and the dust. And Hawk's are also VERY expensive.

Email me with your car info (year, engine, model) at [email protected] once you've made your decision, and I can hopefully get you a fairly decent deal.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

How do you "let your rotors cool down like you would cool down a turbo"? When you park and you let off the brakes, the brakes cool off. There really isn't anything you can do to help them cool off; all you can really do is not drag the brakes constantly.

EDIT: By the way Chris87, I found a company called 42 Draft Designs that makes fabric-covered A-pillar gauge pods for Volkswagens. They're so nice, they look like they could be stock. You might want to give them a call and see if your company can sell them.