EBAY scams?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by who?, May 25, 2005.

1. who?

who? Guest

hey.....so i recently signed up on ebay..
    are there any scams/tricks people use which i should be looking out for?

i know about checking their rating, but that's about it..

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Use a credit card for your purchasing. So you can stop the transaction if needed, and possibly get your money back. NEVER use money orders, checks, or cash.

3. c-f0o

c-f0o New Member

just read the description THOROUGHLY and you will be fine.

4. c-f0o

c-f0o New Member

and if the offer seems too good to be true, it often is

5. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Ebay will never ask for personal information. If an e-mail looks like it came from Ebay, always type www.ebay.com on your browser and log in from there.

If you lose a bid, and the seller tries to sell a similar item outside of Ebay, don't.. you won't have the assurance of Ebay.

Paypal is one of the most acceptable form of payment. Ebay now owns Paypal.

Scammers usually try to make you wire money through Western Union. That's just as good as sending them cash, pretty much impossible to get back.

Be aware of low prices and high shipping charges, always read the auction carefully. Sellers do this to attract buyers and save on listing fees.

Make sure you understand what the auction is about. I have seen auctions about 'Free Ipod', all you have to do is click on this link. (which is usually a referral link). And then in small captions, it states: "Note: the link above is the information I will give you. If you do not read this auction carefully and bid on it, you will have to abide by Ebay's terms and pay for it". And many times I've seen people pay $6.00 for these type of auctions because they don't read.

And just a tip:
    Don't bid early unless you can't be there when the auction closes. No point in bidding for an item only to have somebody else try to beat your own bid. Bidding wars... good for seller, bad for buyer. You're going to bid for it anyway, so do it right before the auction ends. Note that other people will also try to do this seconds before the auction ends, therefore always bid the amount you're willing to pay, since Ebay will automatically bid for you if someone tries to overbid you last minute. The bidding last minute method is also known as auction sniping. They also have software for this, but it will cost a little $ and is usually only good for people that REALLY want an item and the item cost $$$, that a little help with last minute bidding is worth it.

6. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Also, try to stay away from sellers in places like Singapore who say the item will be shipped from the U.S.