ebay motherboard is DOA i think...advice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eof, Feb 5, 2003.

1. eof

eof New Member

Is my old motherboard I baught off ebay DOA?

here is the item just so you know what i am talking about....
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2300171535

Here is what happens when I start it....runs fine looks good then after the ide devices are detected it goes to shit

[​IMG]

I have tried a floppy cable / drive that I know works and it still isn't working with this motherboard....the keyboard lock thing doesn't make sense either as I don't have anything connected to the "front panel pins".... :dunno:

Right now I am thinking it is definitly DOA...even with that asshat putting "Guaranteed NOT DOA" in his auction. He has 63 positives and no negatives though...so I gotta think he did everything in his power to not send me shit. Ended up being like $60cnd shipped so hopefully I don't have to eat this one...:squint:

Anyone ever have a similar AT problem? Maybe it is just something stupid...:wavey:

2. eof

eof New Member

Buddy is now saying it is a memory mismatch....but from what I can tell I am running a PC66 sdram stick and it should work fine....:mad: :mad:

Here are the sticks if anyone knows anything about this shit feel free to help....:fawk:

[​IMG]

3. Slimmy

Slimmy Get Richt or Die Trying

You would not get the BIOS if it was dead, you would get no picture so it's not likely the mobo. You may want to try flashing the bios though, and reset the CMOS if you haven't already. :)

4. eof

eof New Member

I reset the CMOS a couple times...um...the dude that I baught it from says my memory looks wierd...:squint:

I am expecting the motherboard is gooched too....gotta find some other ram to try it in....he said to try a new cpu too but there is no way it is that.

5. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

Try using one RAM stick at a time, see if that isolates the problem.

6. eof

eof New Member

I only have one stick to test...all my other machines are either lappys or running DDR ...=/

This is the last e-mail the seller sent me "Make sure the bios is set at CAS rate 2 and not 3 otherwise big problems. Nothing will work. It was running a PC133 128 ECC double which is CAS rate 3"

Anything that runs CAS 2 will runn CAS 3 correct? I mean 2 is faster then 3 right because it is a delay?

7. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

floppy cable might be backwards (line pin 1 up with the red line on the cable)

check to see if there is a jumper on the mobo for the key lock feature.

8. eof

eof New Member

No jumper...and this is running with bare min now...no drives no extra cards...just mem, vid and cpu...=/

9. Furner

Furner New Member

put one stick of memory in the mobo, make sure its in the first slot, and try to boot without any drives attached, if it dosnt boot switch memory sticks, if its still messed up connect the floppy drive only and flash the bios with the latest bios version from the manufacturer
    if the mobo still dosnt work your mobo is fucked fierce
    try to rma it thru the manufacturer

10. eof

eof New Member

Um...i only have one stick of memory...and everything else i have tried...cept i can't flash cause my keyboard doesn't work... :mad:

11. vwgeekdotcom

vwgeekdotcom Silver Surfer

all that error screen means is that the memory in the bios has been wiped, now you need to re hook the batter back up to the cmos so your setting will change.
    look for a jumper that might is set to clear the cmos/bios, otherwise it will never save your settings ;),
    also it might need a new battery but i doubt it, pretty much that jumper is a batter disconnect, probably to prevent draining it while in transit.

12. eof

eof New Member

hmm...i reset the said jumper (cmos clear) when i installed it first becaue it wasn't working right but i set it back...you think the message about the keyboard lock and floppy is related to the battery being dead?

I have never seen anything like that....I know the message about the checksum error is related to me clearing the cmos and not saving new bios settings in....=/

Did you not read the rest of the thread and only saw that checksum error and figured that was what i ment? or do you think that a new battery could fix the real problems too?

13. eof

eof New Member

I am 100% sure the mobo is dead as I just tried a different cpu / ram / vidcard and it wouldn't work....I earlier tried the same setup on a different motherboard and it worked fine. So now what do I do....I allready told the guy it was definitly dead so this is what he said...

I know it isn't the traces around the heatsync clip cause I can look myself and tell that. What should I do? Eat the loss or send him the mobo back so he can say it is definitly dead. It costs $10cnd to ship it so on a $60cnd motherboard this is the 2nd $10 I have had to throw down for shipping....=/

He guarenteed the board to not be DOA in his auction so if he says it is dead when he gets it back should I leave negative feedback on ebay or neutral? He has been helpfull and stuff but as far as I know he sold me a motherboard knowing it was toast.