eBay batteries?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kamikaze, Jan 7, 2008.

1. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

A friend of mine needs a battery for her G4 iBook. Found some batteries on eBay for literally a third of what Apple charges. Are they going to be as shitty as the price makes them seem like, or will it last her a year or two? Anyone with any experience with these, or an extremely affordable good condition G4 iBook battery they wanna get rid of?

TIA macshackers :wavey:

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I've gotten a 3rd party battery from eBay for a girlfriend's iBook a while back. It worked OK but not great at first. Took a couple charge cycles to get it to report correctly, etc. Make sure you check the ratings on it too as some seem to be underpowered (find something with a higher mAH rating then the factory one). Think I paid about $45 for a new G4 iBook one. Also should note that it wasn't quite the right color either (different material used to make their white plastic color or something). I'm not sure I'd spend the extra money on a high quality one for a machine that old but OWC has high capacity batteries with 34% more capacity then the originals for $119. We always upgrade to the OWC NewerTech batteries when we get new laptops and they've always been great.

3. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Yea, see, she's been toying with the idea of getting either a new MB or MBP in the near future, so I think she's just looking to get another year or two tops out of this one. From what she tells me, her current battery only works for 5-10 min at most, so anything is an improvement lol

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

If it's going to be another two years, or even one for that matter, I'd spend the extra $50 for the piece of mind and extra battery life from a NewerTech battery. If it was 6 months, then I'd think about going with the eBay battery.