Eating/Working out v. dorms

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Snowed, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowed

Snowed OT Supporter

I'm a freshman in college and just started about 4 weeks ago. I've been a pretty consistent 160-170 for the past year or so. I just started working out this summer and have been doing pretty good, but I need to change some things up (more on that later.) I don't have access to a freezer or grill, only a fridge/microwave. Anyways, I'm visibly fatter since I came up here, mostly because of the dorm food.

Here's what I eat daily:
    Breakfast (mon-fri): microwaved egg whites on wheat bread w/ cheese and ham OR PB and J
    Breakfast (sat-sun): sleeping, skip to lunch
    Lunch: Salad with ranch dressing/croutons (I've tried oil and can't stand it)
    Some combo of pizza/burgers/grilled cheese/pasta/mac and cheese type dishes until I'm full
    Dinner: Same as lunch except w/ dessert sometimes

When I skip meals and eat in my dorm I'll have something like ramen, easy mac, canned spaghetti, etc.... I try to mix tuna in when I can.

So, my question is, what are some cheap (preferably fast) meals that are high in protein and low in fat that can be cooked/stored with a microwave/fridge? Also, to other people who ate in the dorms, what did you eat? It seems like everything substantial in there is fairly unhealthy.

Second part. I'm doing this workout right now:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-4-day-split-workout.html

I'm weak as shit in my chest/legs (legs because I'm a pussy and don't work them enough, I have no clue about chest.) I'm thinking of trying 5/3/1, but I've never deadlifted before, and my squats could use some work. I don't have anyone who can really teach me, and I can't pay for a personal trainer. My lower back is already kind of fucked up, will I hurt myself trying to teach myself? Also, how long should I wait before I can get a legit max and start 5/3/1?

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

Follow a 5x5 routine for a couple months and get the basic form down for the lifts. Once you feel confident in your ability work up and get a 3RM.

As for food... canned tuna and chicken is cheap. You can microwave chicken or cook it on a Foreman. But... you only get to experience freshman year of college once.

Your time should be spent trying to recall how you got home last night, who the fuck is the chick laying next to you, and why didn't your roommates stop you from pissing in your t-shirt drawer when they were all blatantly sitting there, playing xbox. Whats even more infuriating about it is that you had to walk in front of them to get to your t-shirt drawer, someone could have said something but they didn't. Freshmen year rules.

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

your time should be spent less on bodybuilding, and more on snorting cocaine off girls labias.

4. eljefedetonto

eljefedetonto OT Supporter

:werd: although I wish I had worked out at least a little my freshman year. I blew the fuck up

5. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

I went to an engineering school for my freshman year. It's probably my biggest regret.

As far as eating and lifting, I never had trouble finding good stuff in the dorm cafeteria.

6. Hood Moses

Hood Moses I part the Black Seas...

Truer words have never been spoken. Freshman year is the shit.

Get some whey and meal plans. eat lift and get trashed.

7. BII

BII Brought to you by (((SOROS))) OT Supporter

foreman grill and a hotplate :dunno:

8. Hallock

Hallock New Member

At first I thought you spelled 'labias' as 'labies,' as in the newly ordained plural form of the word.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.