Eating healthy when never at home, think i figured it out?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Atooraya, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atooraya

Atooraya I'm here to rustle jimmies and chew bubble gum. I'

Alrite, so one of the hardest things about eating healthy is eating fresh. I'm on the road all the time in hotel rooms without kitchens or grocery stores near by and what so, and it really hit me hard when i was in training down in st louis for 2 mos, living in a dirty crashpad with no time to cook. My waist is still a 36" some how (unifrom pants which we were told run small, and did for everyone are 38" :wtc:, but they're starting to get loose now a bit ), but i need to get back down to the 34" i was before.

I'm usually gone for 4-5 days at a time, and it's MUCH easier to just go to grab a chicken sandwich, or maybe a burrito somewhere and fill up real quick, and only eat 2 or 3 times a day, but lemme know if this sounds good.

From Walmart, i'm gonna buy a lunch bag (durr), but one that can be refrigerated IF i have a refrigerator to put the lunch bag in.
    - 5 Natty PB sandwiches on Whole Wheat bread. By doing this, essentially i have 10 meals over the course of 4 days right there, every 3-4 hours, eat 1/2 of the sandiwch
    - 10 Packets of instant oatmeal (5 flavored, 5 non flavored) this ends up being 5 meals right here as well, mixing one flavored packet and one non flavored with water, and microwave when i can find one
    - Box of Tasty Little Chewies (6) (http://www.kashi.com/ourfood/TLCSnacks/ChewyGranolaBars/Default.aspx) i've been eating these things, the honey almond flax bars, and they're seriously really tasty, and i eat the honey almond flax bars which are surprisingly good. (4g of Fiber, 7g of Protein and 300mg Omega-3s per bar)

So in this bag of mine, i essentially have 20 meals right there, divided by 6, that's about 3.2 days worth. The other time i have away, i can go grab a sandwich from subway to get some meat in my diet, so i can go grab a chicken caesar salad or a chicken breast from somewhere

Please let me know if this sounds good or what else you'd reccomend, and not too much bashing

Also, i've been hitting up the hotel gyms, and when i come home, i've been going to my local gym as well, doing 30 minutes of cardio a day (high intensity elliptical machine) and lifting weights when there are some

2. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

almonds, beef jerky, fat free tuna kits, protein bars, whey in water, etc. are all good alternatives as well

3. JustBlazin

JustBlazin Ironic Punishment

go to a bulk food store and buy a bunch of almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds

4. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

Canned meat from costco is your friend. Its all I did during spring break...canned tuna, canned chicken, canned beef...etc.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  5. Drewski

Drewski New Member

canned meat, can open, loaf of bread. bulk nuts, oats (i mix them uncooked into my shakes, blend them up when home so they are more like powder)

no refrigeration req'd

6. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

truth right here

7. deadbolt

deadbolt New Member

also. you can make your own protein bars that taste fucking good.

Pb
    oats
    whey
    maybe some flax

good stuff
    look for recipes online

8. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

needs mo' protein, son

9. Atooraya

hrmmm, aren't that canned meats full of sodium though?

also, canned chicken sux :(

10. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

those little tuna kits are so expensive for what you get though......but they are extremely convenient....

11. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

They have them on sale for ~$1 a lot of times for the smaller ones. I like the ones that already have everything mixed so you don't have to fuck around with little packets of relish, mayo, and tuna.

12. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

damn....that's cheap....I'll keep my eyes open...

13. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

:werd:

14. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I traveled for years 5 days a week up to weeks without being home.

Do you have any control over the hotel you stay at? If so try to find one with atleast a fridge or ask because some hotels only x rooms have a small fridge. This will allow you to keep milk, cottage cheese, cut up fruit, deli meat, etc. Before I would leave I would cut up fruit and veggies and store them in ziploc containers and carry them in my cooler. Got to the hotel unloaded them.

I would also pack protein powder, granola, MRPs, nuts, whole grain snacks, etc. Store those in the room in containers. Basically I tried to take what I would normally snack on at home and keep it in the room.

When I go to work I would grab some snacks for the day and store them there if there was no fridge cooler bag worked wonderfully packed with free hotel ice.

For lunch or dinner I would menu look and usually try to find a chicken salad have everything not the heathiest removed and dressing on the side. Dip the fork into the dressing and then get salad on the fork. If not almost all restaurants have a grilled chicken breast and that was good. Order double order of veggies dry (most will cook them in butter). Another trick I found is find a nearby restaurant and walk or run there. This way if you ate like hell you felt like hell on the walk back and a couple times doing that stop that from happening.

Also do not drink when traveling. Hard to stop at just one when the justification is I am just heading back to an empty hotel room.

They use to laugh at me when I would start going to a hotel because it would take me 2-3 trips to get everything into the hotel room but after awhile if they saw me checking in they would actually give me a hand.

Ask the hotel to about a local gym most partner up but do not announce it so you can get in for free. If not I had great luck with dragging rollerblades or a bike and just going out exploring.

If I was flying in I would atleast pack a couple pairs of exercise clothes, crosstrainers, and buy everything when I landed.

15. Atooraya

I have no control over the hotels i stay at, and some of the hotel gyms really suck hard

Thanks for the advice though guys :big grin:

16. Grimey

Grimey New Member

I've never had canned chicken, and I can't imagine it being good either.

17. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

canned chicken is alright with a bit of mayo....

18. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Most hotels even those with their gyms have an external gym they partner with. Ask the front desk if not ask them if there is a local gym most for 5 bucks will give you a guest pass. When I was in Illinois it was cheaper for me to get a third membership than pay 5 bucks a couple times a week.

Get a 5 day cold cooler and keep swapping out ice from vending machine every other day if you travel by vehicle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.