Eating good while poor (college, living on my own, no mommy daddy to give me $)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Pen Is Mightier, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pooor but not so poor where I cant afford to buy some decent food. I want to buy cheap high protein/calorie food though. What the fuck can I buy? I already bought a shit load of chicken and cooked some of it up...now I just cut that shit up and put it on whatever I'm eating at the time. Like pasta with chicken, chicken quesadillas, shit like that. then some Peanut butter & bread and what not. whats some other cheap shit though, I'm gonna go shopping later.

No eggs. Fucking hate them. Nothing too dirty though, I like my abs. :o

2. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

canned tuna, canned salmon, whey

3. knucks

knucks Active Member

no eggs? fuck off

4. its like the one food that sucks...it is cheap as fuck though...maybe i'll just down it...dunno.

5. All I know is I need to start eating way more...I feel like I'm getting smaller after leaving my house. That or I'm getting more used to my size...I dunno.

6. Finest

Finest OG #93

One of the cheapest forms of protein, bro. Just like pinning yourself in the glutes for the first time bent over looking at yourself in the mirror, you learn to love it.

7. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

get a job

8. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

pull a Mimnaugh

9. been there, done that. i have income, dont worry. living is fuckin expensive though...and then paying for tuition on top of that? books...rent...clothes...foood....all kinds of shit. I wasnt expecting to be paying for all of this either but some shit went down haha...its all good though, time to grow the fuck up. I still want some cheap as fuck food though.

Maybe I'll give eggs a TRY...like get a carton of like 4 or 6 whatever is the smallest...anything I can put on it to disguise the taste?

10. the fuck/who is that?

11. Juke Box Hero

Juke Box Hero Active Member

franks red hot

cant taste anything with that shit on it. toss some cottage cheese up in that bitch for even more protein and some fats. more red hot will make it taste ace.

12. knucks

knucks Active Member

I guess you could do up raw eggs in a blender with a bit of whey :dunno:

I've done vanilla whey, whites, coffee, milk = oh nom nom nom

13. :eek4::eek4::eek4:
    WHEY....EGGS....AND COFFEE...

in a blender. :hsugh: Do you just pound it or does it really taste ok?

14. knucks

knucks Active Member

it's like a delicious coffee drink from any coffee place

15. i'm sure. :hsugh:

so all we came to the conclusion of is that i should eat eggs/tuna. :ugh: anything else? like meals...not just like oh lets sit here at lunch time and eat 10 cans of tuna...or is that what you guys do? :rofl:

oh and i'll be running 2 miles+/day Monday, Wednesday, Friday starting this week so I gotta eat a shit load more to compensate for those burning calories.

peanut butter & bread = win?
    does cream cheese (think bagels and shit...chronic) have a lot of protein?
    shit load of pasta is always bomb as fuck too...not much protein but it can fill u up for cheap.

16. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

My advice is just to bulk buy stuff. Take a bus, taxi or drive (if you have a car) to your nearest wholesale place or cash and carry. That way you avoid repeating the inherent cost of going shopping in the first place - i.e. paying for petrol or bus, taxi etc.

Carbs are easy - a huge bag of oats or potatoes is damn cheap and will last ages. I buy 2kg of oats for £1.00 in the UK.. lasts about 2 weeks. You can also buy large bags of frozen vegetables - frozen corn, brocolli, beans etc.

Protein is the most expensive and if you work it out, a protein supplement is probably the cheapest source of protein available. So it might hurt to pay out a lump sum but if you get a few tubs it will last quite a long time.

I've seen bags of 20 chicken breasts going pretty cheap, and go to the store at the end of the day when they cut the prices on things that are going to go out of date. Then just take them home and freeze them.

You could also buy several kg of minced beef (preferably 10% fat if you can afford it) and make your own burgers, tacos, Chile con carne etc out of that.

And learn to get more creative with your cooking. Add stuff to the tuna, turn it into a salad, add hot sauce, mix in fat-free mayonaise and make it a sandwich. You're not limited to just eating it out of the can with a spoon.

17. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

bulk chicken nigger

18. :bowdown: I dont have a Costco card or anything though...but my SO does...have to take them shopping. Didn't really think of buying bulk...haha...I'm fucking stupid. I bought a box of like ~6 large chicken breasts and it was something like $9...is that an ok deal? I don't even know...I just bought it. I'll look at the estimated weight next time I buy some. Making my own tacos sounds hella fuckin good...just get some shells, beef & spice, cheese, salsa...I could eat those all day and it's hella easy.

19. freezer is already full of this.

20. Finest

Finest OG #93

It was more like 4 cans. But I put it in a container and mixed in some mayo and spices. The table usually clears out once I popped open the lid though. :o

21. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Asking for good, cheap foods and ruling out eggs is the equivalent of asking for an exotic, Italian car and rulling out Ferrari's.

Yes, eggs are the motherfucking Ferrari's of the food world.

22. :bowrofl:

Guess I'll give those fuckers another shot.

23. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

fucking ferrari. :rofl:

24. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

Ask your grandparents for $.

25. Poor as fuck and live in Germany. I'd never do that. :hs: If anything I should be giving them money...I am probably in a better economic situation than them, sadly...if that is even possible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.