SRS Eating Disorders?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AstroGirl, Jun 28, 2005.

1. AstroGirl

AstroGirl If I don't respond it's because I have severe ADD

I figure this would be the best place to post this :)

Well to start off I am not a very big girl, but I do have the potential to be. Some of the women on my fathers side can't even touch their arms to their sides they are so big. I am 5'7" and 140 lbs, which is not tiny but not big. I am satisfied with my wieght now, but always could loose a little more.

Growing up my mom and my grandmother would always watch what I ate, asking questions like... do you really think you should be eating that? or, don't you think you have had enough? I would get so embarrased I would feel like I was going to cry, and just feel huge and disgusting. It got to the point where I would hide in the pantry and eat so nodoby would see me doing it. This was when I was ten or younger.

When I got to junior high I discovered bulemia, where I could eat all I wanted and just puke it up afterward... AWESOME! Right?? Not so much, After a while my gag reflex started to wear and my molars would hurt from the stomach acids. Not to mention I started to actually read up on it and discovered... hey I am slowly killing myself. So I stopped around my junior year of high school.

Now I am 22, and I am feeling these problems come back. It could be just because my body is growing up and my metabloism is slowing down. But I work out like there is NO tomorrow, basically about 5-7 hours a week. And I see myself going through cycles. Where I will starve myself, and just basically psych myself out of being hungry and not eat, then I will drop down to like 130-135 (really skinny for my frame) Then I will BINGE and eat crap food till I get back up to 145 ish (kinda chubby) then I will PURGE again.

I don't know if anybody can even offer me any advice to help, but I think I need to fix this. I am not throwing up anymore, but I do if I eat too much and give myself a stomach ache. But it is the binging, and purging that I just want to STOP!

I don't feel like I have a horrible self image, but why these subconcious eating disorders? Or is this even a problem? Sometimes when I throw up I start crying afterwards, I don't know why. And I have started to have nightmares about food again. Like I am eating a brownie and someone gets mad at me for eating it and makes fun of me, and then I start crying.

LOL, oh man. Reading over this seems like a bigger problem than I thought...

2. Indagator

Indagator Twist of Cain

Well, I've never had an eating disorder (though I do have my own issues) but I've dated a couple of bulemic girls before. I never realized they were bulemic (at one time) until they told me. Want to guess why? They looked damn good to me. It's a self-image thing mostly. I will say though that from your post it sounds like a guilt issue. Your mom and grandmother made you paranoid about what you eat, so you feel guilty when you eat something/more of something than they would approve of.

One of them had guilt issues. She eventually got past it when she started to realize that what she was seeing was not what others were seeing. She was seeing this fat girl, and all the while guys were drooling over her. Maybe try to look outward instead of inward so much? That's just my thought though. I'm thinking maybe talking a councilor of sorts would help alot though, if it's a recurring thing. If nothing else it will proved a *proffessional* outside opinion, and from there you can move forward :). Good luck to you :).

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I would go for a gastric bypass, which isn't without risk (chance of killing yourself) but really reduces the desire for food, and reduces the body size in a positive manner. The human body is a horrible thing , and free will has got not much to do with it,as the weight regulation is a autonomic process.

4. scaryice

scaryice New Member

I don't think that's appropriate unless you're really obese.

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

your advice gets worse by the fucking day. I can't tell if you're fucking serious about that statement.

anyways to answer the question at hand.. have you ever gone to therapy for this? eating disorders like this are legit psychological disorders since they often consume the person who's afflicted. If you're having purge tendencies, it's worth doing so again.

6. AstroGirl

I would actually consider looking into therapy, or at least if my health insurance covers it :) I was just curious as to if anyone had gone through it, and could give me some pointers...

7. AstroGirl

5'8", 120. Wow that is very thin! Thank you so much for your help. I will definately check at my school for counseling, I hadn't thought of that. It is only a JC so I am not sure if they offer it, but the website seems pretty helpful too. I know it is psychological, and I think I need to attack that first if I am ever going to kick this thing for real :)

Thank You

8. Tori1989

Tori1989 Guest

I think you most deftinatly have an eating disorder, but it sounds like you have already done a lot to help yourself. You stopped throwing up your food when you were younger, and went a long time feeling like you didn't need to anymore. This just proves that your life doesn't revolve around you weight, and that you can beat this. You actually sound fairly confident, you know that you're the right size, and you have recognised that you may have a problem, which is a tough thing to do.

Your Mom and Grandmother have obviously played a big part in this. You're probably obsessing over your weight because you feel the need to be in control of it, because you never were as a child. Your Mom and Grandmother seemed to always be telling you what you should and shouldn't eat. They probably thought that they were doing good, but obviously they didn't know how you felt.

I definatly recommend some sort of therapy. Sounds a little scary, but trust me, it can really help. You could even go to your Doctor first, as he/she will be able to refer you to someone. Good Luck, and try not to worry too much :)

9. voices

voices Guest

I recommend that you start learning about nutrition and how the body reacts to different macronutrients(food). I am not an expert but i am well rounded in the field. If you learn what to eat and how much, then you wont have to worry about gaining weight. The reason you binge is because your body needs food. It produces hungry signals (hormones in the body) that say "WE NEED FOOD" If you starve yourself for long periods of time you can disrupt your metabolism and you are setting yourself up for a binge.

Learn when to eat and what to eat (carbohydrate, protein and fat, yes fat, there are healthy ones) and how much. There are simple ways to measure portions, like 3 to 4oz of meat is the size of your palm, potato is about the size of a computer mouse.

I also recommend to get therapy if you feel it is controlling your life. I believe that once you learn how the body reacts to different nutrition needs then you will have more control.

10. AstroGirl

You wouldnt by chance reccomend any websites/ books where I can learn more about this would you?

11. johan

johan Active Member

ummm gastric bypass? WTF?

12. AstroGirl

Yeah, seriously...

13. voices

voices Guest

Here are some books that talk about basics of nutrition:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0028644247/qid=1120230489/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/102-5997972-0477705

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764540823/qid=1120230489/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/102-5997972-0477705

here is are some sites to check out, but it may be confusing if you know nothing about nutrition.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vm11.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi1.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/louis2.htm

I recommend going to a local book store like barnes and nobles and browsing through the books until you find one that seems like it covers the basics of nutrition. I've noticed that most articles online are missing some facts and mostly ppls opinions. I would stick to a book and then do some more research online.

hope this helps!

14. AstroGirl

Thank You :)

15. DancingCondom

DancingCondom New Member

I know how horrible eating disorders are. I have had weight issues since I was 13. Im only 17 and am ALWAYS WORRYING ABOUT FOOD! I'm 5'6 108 pounds..and I am scared to death to gain weight. My highest was 138 and I didnt go anywhere or leave the house becaues I thought i was so fat. My boyfriend tells me Im too skinny but I dont listen..all I think is how awful it would be to gain weight. I am not bulimic, but I am always on a binge/starve cycle. Most days I only eat about 500 calories, and smoke cigarettes and drink coffee/diet pepsi constantly. I know its horrible what I am doing... Then I get 2 days out of the week where all I do is binge on ice cream. Then i feel horrible and fat. I went to a psychologist but they dont do shit!! All they do is give you some "healthy" diet plan that just makes you obsess over food even more...

*sigh*

16. voices

voices Guest

IMO, to help cope with this false belief of being afraid to eat because you are worried about gaining body fat, you need to educate yourself on the topic. I call it a false belief because most people are guided and told false information. It’s not your fault, you were probably never taught how to eat, what to eat, how much to each, when to eat. We need to learn how the human body functions, once you give it the right fuel it needs then you can control its outcomes. This is how bodybuilders eat between 4,500 to 10,000 calories a day. (no joke) and stay at low body fat? They are the leanest people on earth and keep their muscle too! They educate themselves on proper nutrition.

One thing I cannot stress enough is most people confuse body weight with body fat. You are worried about gaining body fat NOT body weight. The difference is that body fat is fat. Body weight is everything else ( your muscle, bones, water, etc…)

One of the most evil things is the scale! You have many different things that affect the scale. I could tell you how to lose 10 pounds in 2 days, want to know how? Dehydrate yourself. But, that wont help you lose body fat. You will look the same just in a smaller body frame.

IMO, to effectively cope with false belief is to come to reality. First understand that if you starve yourself and only eat 500 calories, then guess what, you are setting yourself up for failure! You body needs food. If it doesn’t get the fuel it needs it will start to send out hunger hormones to signal taste buds. This is telling you that you need fuel. You cannot function properly without it. I can name an endless list of ways an improper diet can affect you.

I highly recommend going to the closest bookstore like barnes and nobles to the fitness section and find a book that will guide you to a better and healthier life style.

Body for life is good. And I named some above. Once you start eating healthier you will feel 10000000000000000000000000 times better and eat 10 times more food!

A simple start plan is to buy a multi vitamin, take it everyday.

Walk or jog at a low to medium intensity for about 10-20minutes 2-3 times a week to build a stronger and healthier cardiovascular system. Also the build some muscle tone by lifting some weights 3 times a week for about 30 to 45minutes. You can buy a beginners weight training book and that should be sufficient. (no lifting weights wont make you look like a body builder, it will help you build muscle to burn fat)

Eat 5-6 meals a day! YES it reads 5-6 meals. The reason is that the more often you eat the faster the metabolism works (which means fat burning) and the more nutrition, minerals, vitamins that are entering the body. Now a simple eating plan is to eat a carbohydrate and a protein at each meal and add a healthy fat to some of them. This includes protein (Skinless/ boneless chicken breast, turkey, all fish and lean red meat)you should be able to find a nice list in the Body For Life book. A fibrous carbohydrate (broccoli, spinach, lettuce, peppers, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, cucumbers) and starchy carbohydrate (red and white potatoes, oatmeal, all fruit, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta). Again the Body For Life book will explain a lot of this stuff. Healthy fat would be olive oil, flaxseed oil, canola oil, all natural peanut butter, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds.

Now this simple plan is for someone that wants to flow a healthier life style and lose some body fat. I highly recommend getting a book to learn more about these topics and them incorporating these tips. You will get a better and clear understanding from a well rounded book.

Hope this help as it is only a brief inroduction.

p.s. here is the body for life link you can find some information here.
    http://bodyforlife.com/

17. Darketernal

Yes, it seems i will have to answer for my gastric bypass suggestion. The autonomic nervous system has a 'set point' to what your normal body weight is,this 'set point' is remarkably fixed, this means that free will cannot be applied as this is genetically defined. So if we balance and look at the choise of giving her the advice to start diets, jogging, eating less, and other Montiac ideas we have to take a look at what happens.

If you waste a lot of energy , you lose weight. The only problem is you get hungry. The automatic set point forces you to eat and eat back until you are on the SAME weight, if this set point is high as in fat people it means that you can NEVER be a skinny person. A gastric bypass sounds severe, but it disables the body to take up nutricians and i have seen incredibly fat people lose over 50 or kilo's in 1 year. This versus years and years of jogging,dieting, and feeling miserable over ones own figure.
    One can take surgery, which has consequences but also can have great results.

Now this picture isn't one of those horrible before after commercials, this is the result after a succesfull gastric bypass.

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.o...obertsont_bypass/images/beforeafter_large.jpg

Im not saying that i would dismay all the other options, but the reason people are fat is purely biological defined by the set point, therefore in my opinion the gastric bypass is a very valid addition towards what the rest has said.

18. Darketernal

Well lately we have been clashing quite a bit, and i entitle you to your free opinion, however i think it's best in order to preserve the peace if we wouldn't respond to eachothers posts again, as they are edge of starting to become personal attacks. I see gastric bypass as a valid way to reduce weight, and you in this case don't. End of story.

19. voices

voices Guest

IMO anyone can lose body fat without gastric bypass. (maybe except those that have thyroid damage.) As i said above weight is totally different then body fat. Most people want surgery unfortunately because its the easiest way out. It's really not anyone’s fault, hey who doesn't want the easy way out?

We are brain washed by how we can fix all our problems with a magic pill or some surgery or we can fix our problems with the next bs hype that we are sucked into. We are controlled by the illusions fitness companies and such
    give us. IMO there is some kind of payoff that we get to become so addicted to things. Some people eat, some people drink, and other have their own obsessive and controlling habits. To come to reality, its dedication and hard work to live a healthy life style. We are surrounded by temptations, but once we learn about human health, you understand and feel the changes. You don't become tempted anymore, you know what you have to do and need to do. You can consciously make the right choices and know why you are making those choice. How about that!

Also to respond to "The automatic set point forces you to eat and eat back until you are on the SAME weight, if this set point is high as in fat people it means that you can NEVER be a skinny person. Originally Posted by Darketernal" This is totally false. I would like to see some case studies to back this up. To briefly explain, fat is an extra so called accessory that can be taken off. You body mainly focuses on you lean muscle mass which consists of muscle, skeleton system, organ and ect... You body only need enough calories to support those structures. Fat is only a reserve of energy that has been stored for later use incase we may need it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2005
  20. AstroGirl

As an update, thank you for all your responses. I spoke to a nutritionist friend of mine and she is going to give me a 3-4 week diet plan. I think if I have a regimented diet plan I will not be tempted to... get rid of it. That and I am just going to stick with my gym plan. I am also planning on seeing my school counselor. I do think all of this stems from my family, just last week my mom says, "Man I have been feeling so chubby lately... that okay I just wont eat next week." Ugh

21. Soupy

Soupy "What is comforting and what is true are two entir OT Supporter

Do you understand that this person IS NOT FAT? She needs to work on her issues with food, not her weight.

22. Riconosuave

Riconosuave New Member

Now that you have a better idea about nutrition, what exactly is your gym plan? I'll tell you right now that if you're spending those 5-7 hours a week on a treadmill or doing aerobic exercise, you're not really doing much. Think of it like this: 1 hr of moderate running burns like 300-400 calories. If you cheat on your diet and eat a couple cookies or a bowl of ice cream, you just wasted that one hour at the gym. What you need to concentrate on is gaining some muscle mass. Increased muscle mass means an increased metabolism. With weight training, you might see an increase in your weight, initially, even if you are losing inches, but that's just because muscle is denser than fat. You shouldn't be fixated solely on your weight. It's how you look and feel.

23. voices

voices Guest

I highly agree!!!

24. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

dude not in this case... you're really aloof man.

25. AstroGirl

Oh my gym plan has always been pretty rigorous (sp?) I do an 1 hour weight lifting class for women three mornings a week. It is a full body workout that does everything from squats, to curls, to hip adductors (sp?) to abs. Seriously it covers everything, and mixes a little cardio simply because instead of doing heavy weights at low reps, you do low weights in 3 minute sets. It kicks your ass. Then 2 days a week I run for 1/2 hour and do 15 min on the stair climber, then 15 minutes of abs. Then on the weekends if I have some free time I work out with a couple of my guy friends doing some heavy lifting, and learning new abs workouts.

As for my diet I haven't gotten my regiment yet. Then I found out friday morning that my boyfriend of the last six months, we were planning a future together/ etc. Has been having a relationship with another woman for the past 2 1/2 months. So, in turn, I haven't eaten since friday. WTF is wrong with me? I tried to eat some fruit today and I got sick, no I didn't force myself. I quit this game...

Bleh