Eating cleanly while gaining weight?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mitchj, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

This is the endless question, how clean do you need to eat when you're bulking?

I'm trying to put on weight, the way i normally eat seems to keep me at around 187lbs, despite what OT will say, i do eat alot, i would average around 3k calories a day.

I'm fairly lean, and have as much muscle as being that size at 6'2' would allow you to have, mostly in my shoulders and chest.

I try and eat as cleanly as possible, i cook myself chicken breast, green vegetables, brown rice, also quite a bit of dairy aswell.

But when im at university its hard to constantly eat like that, the question is, how bad is it to eat fast food for roughly 1k calories a day, just to get myself over the limit of gaining weight?

2. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

3k really isnt a lot :hsd:

3. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

haha thats true :hsd:

i was just getting the point across i'm not one of those kids who eats 1500 calories a day and complains why they don't gain anything :o

4. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

Eat clean. It's healthier and cheaper.

Despite what everyone on here will say, I think the quality of the food does matter. I've always ate an absurd amount of calories, then over the last year I became like you and thought it was too hard to eat clean, started slipping on my diet, eating junk, and watched the fat pack on. Don't fall in the trap, stick to the good habits and just bump up the serving sizes a little bit.

5. mandrew

mandrew New Member

I'm eating clean right now and it's hard for me to get over 3,000 calories to be honest. Even though i drink a lot of milk I'm also still getting 200g or carbs or less per day so if I found a carb source I could probably up it by another 100g and my cals would go up too. I've also thought about adding another mass meal shake to up my cals by 330 (or 450 if i use milk) but I already get 250+g protein per day, and that would add another 35-50g's and I don't know if that's beneficial at all.

I do cheat once a week and get some burgers or something, but even then I dont' drink soda or eat fries so it's not super high in carbs... just tons of fat really.

6. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

see, lately i've just been eating a burger or so to get the calories in, but i do as you do, no fries, no coke, just the hamburger itself. It's simply a source of food when you are away from your home environment, unfortunately its hard to take good meals with you. If i was at work or something that had a fridge i could. I'll see how it goes.
    I'll look better with more muscle even if there is some fat gains, i tend to hold my fat on my stomach, i look lean as wearing a singlet.

7. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

ive put on 25-30 pounds in the last 8 months, and let me tell you, the first 15 pounds when i was eating 100% clean were the easiest and best pounds that went on.

(not noob gains, i was already 5'11 190)

pur has posted a diet in a bateman thread that i've been following and it is amazing.

i don't think he'll mind me reposting it, but the calories are fairly high (~3k) so i'll offer it up:

7am: 16oz liquid egg whites [cooked or uncooked your preference, but if you drink them uncooked, eat some fats with them (1-2tbsp natty pb)] -- I prefer the pb in the oatmeal.
    1 cup oats (1 cup dry)

10am: 2 cans tuna, 1 cup no-yolk egg noodles (1 cup cooked), 3 tbsp olive oil

1pm: 8oz chicken breast, 6oz sweet potato, 1/2 cup green beans

4pm: Repeat 10am

7pm: Repeat 1pm

I've strayed from this during tests and rough patches for homework as I'm in college and my work comes sporatically, and sometimes something has to give (really hard to eat 100% clean when im stressed).

However, I'll say that if you're eating 100% clean on that diet, then cheating becomes like, some natty pb, or a can of soup, or in my case chips and salsa.
    :yum:

In general, I feel better, am getting stronger and staying or losing BF.

Great stuff... I'm rambling because I'm in class but just figured I'd contribute since I've been lurking more than posting lately.

8. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

how many times a day do you shit?

9. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Eating 3K clean is not hard at all.

10. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I know what the fuck :rofl:

I've been eating like 2000 calories a day clean as fuck and I'm starving all the damn time

11. TheMarchHare

TheMarchHare OT Supporter

12. Sylva

Sylva New Member

13. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

it is when you are away from home

i think people missed the point, i eat 3k and i'm not really gaining anything.

14. TheMarchHare

eat more. and cook ahead of time.

15. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

eat a protein shake, a shitload of natural peanut butter and chug down a glass of whole milk :drool:

That will help you if you can't gaining weight.

16. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I can eat like 2-300 calories clean/day... but once breakfast is over... the clean eating is over :mamoru:

17. TheMarchHare

unless he's asian, then he's shitting liquid pb and protein shakes for the next hour or so:noes:

18. I try not to eat anything that is actually pointless. (ex. french fries)

On the rare occassion I'll eat some pizza but in general I eat a combination of chicken breast, and then rice/bread/tortilla and cheese or something like that.

19. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I work and go to school, cook ahead of time and put in a cooler/lunchbox. Cold ground beef and rice is actually pretty tasty.

edit: if you aren't gaining your diet needs work...probably need to eat more...

20. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

yeah but do you even train?

21. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

It's easy to eat enough even clean for most people.

For me, I love my various dessert shops too much. It's like sure maybe it will put on a little more fat than I otherwise would have, but that stuff comes off quick and it tastes sooo delicious.

I did take tuna/rice in a cooler to classes today though.

22. thebeave

thebeave New Member

Eating a lot isn't the hard part for me, it's maintaining proper macro ratios. I love throwing in a tablespoon of peanut butter here and there for easy calories but 20% fat quickly becomes 30%.

23. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

is it really that vital though? I have no idea what my macro ratios are. I'm not exactly genetically disposed to being fat.

24. RG

RG New Member

stop worrying about %s and you wont have to worry about it

25. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

i think the terms "clean bulk" and "dirty bulk" are for queers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.