Eating before going to the gym?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by MWHC22, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

So I almost never eat closer than 45 min before running...swimming...or other similar activity. But what about lifting?

sometimes i feel really weak at the gym...like my gas tank is empty...even if its only been like an hour or 2 since i ate.

one of the best workouts i had like 2 months ago was like 25 min after i ate a huuuuuge meal.

people alwasy say that you should wait an hour though becasue some of the blood is being used to digest food still....and it won;t helo feul your muscles then.

anyone have a good idea how to deal with this?...maybe eat only certain kinds of snack things right before i go or something?

2. MWHC22

i don't have a "leg" day... i slam out full body in 1 hour 3 times a week.

maybe thats my problem :eek3: maybe i should do upper and lower body seperated 6 days a week...or even work out 2 times in one day and cut my work out in half.

3. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

well, the other day i ate a wendy's triple right before some strenuous activities. needless to say my stomach started cramping for about a half hour. but after that I felt like I had unlimited energy!

4. TZ

TZ Banned

hmm yea i think most ppl agree that you should focus on one specific area each time you lift. something that has worked for me is going real simple. bench one day, squat another, deadlift the 3rd..

5. TZ

TZ Banned

But when you are doing big, compound lifts you aren't focusing on one body part...like for me it's : upper push, lower push, etc. etc.

6. MWHC22

well what ive been starting to switch over too... is alternating hard and light days on each muscle group while staying full body...

sooo one day i will do.

heavy - chest, back, legs
    light - shoulders, biceps, abs, tris

then switch the next time I go.

ive also changed my diet plan...i eat aprox every 2 to 3 hours either snack and protein shake or medium sized meal. so I end up with 5 or 6 meals a day 500 or so cals each. sometimes more. i used to eat 4 times a day. so im hoping this might help my body get used to having a steady intake all day.

so that is why i asked about eating before the gym. Since im eating 500 to 600+ cals per meal so often...it doesn't leave much time to wait for digestion..and go through a whole workout before i need to eat again. Before i was eating 800+ or so cal meals so i lasted a little longer between eating.

this fitness trainer dude at golds gym where i go is trying to talk me into doing one muscle group to failure 5 days a week. Thats what i did when i first started lifting and all that happened when i did that was lose fat and tone up. When i switched to doing 2 or 3 muscle groups i started to build strenght...and when i started doing full body i broke through my plateus when i hit them after a cuple weeks.

:dunno: maybe if i do 2 muscle groups a day until failure my body might respond since its different. First i want to see how my light heavy plan works though....instead of doing even effort to full body.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  7. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Chest, back and legs all on the same day? No thanks.

8. MWHC22

:dunno: ....can't do shoulders heavy on the same day as chest or back becasue my arms will get to tired. so thats what i do.

9. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

If it works for you then more power to ya but I would not be able to do those 3 muscle groups in the same day.

10. adenine

adenine New Member

I usually do a cup of oats and a scoop of whey about an hour and a half before lifting.

11. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

I prefer to work out in the morning, but I can't while I'm on the road for work.

That being said - I always eat a good full meal with a good mix of carbs and proteins 1-1.5 hours before a workout right now, and follow up with a high protein snack ASAP.

When I work out in the morning, I usually did it soon after I woke up. To make sure my body could take it, I would eat some granola high in fat & carbs, or if I didn't have time, take an apple (good sugar) to fuel me. Then eat a good meal after.

This week I made a mistake I hadn't ever made - I really didn't eat much all day, and worked out 5 hours after I ate last. I was weak and felt sick - my trainer thought I was going to pass out and made me buy a Mass Recovery drink. I felt better within 30 min or so.

Concise answer - eat about an hour before, or a quick carb/sugar right before. Just make sure it is light if it is right before.

12. BigJohnson

BigJohnson New Member

just don't eat a huge meal and you'll feel fine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.