GUN Easy ways to sight in a new scope ?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by majpayne1, May 5, 2004.

1. majpayne1

majpayne1 New Member

I have a remington 710 30.06 and i need to sight in the scope it is off by about 5 inches. Any way to align it without fireing ? Anything cheap ? Thanx

2. Furner

Furner New Member

there is absolutly no substitute for live-firing when sighting in. there are lasers and gizmos, but they cant simulate the effects that specific loads will have, as well as the little things like how you pull the trigger, and the physical features of the barrel as well as the whole gun.

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:werd:

bore-sighters are nice if you're mounting a new scope and just want to get it on the paper but theres no substitute for live-fire.

4. majpayne1

majpayne1 New Member

thanks.....guess i'll plan to spend a couple hrs at the range soon

5. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

First thing I would do is throw that 710 into a deep lake and get a real gun

6. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

:mamoru:

7. chiadog

chiadog Guest

roofles PT. i'd take a savage package gun before a 710 :p

8. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

as would I. Savage is starting to look better, Remington is looking worse.

9. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I have shot a couple Savages and they aren't too bad. My buddy has a 7mag..I like it :dunno:

10. chiadog

chiadog Guest

savages are decent now. their old trigger was pretty terrible. get one with accutrigger and the better stock, like the choate or mcmillan (i am a sucker for the laminated wood), and they are really nice alternative to remmies.
    we are pissing on this guy's parade though. but honestly for less than 400, 710 really isn't a bad buy for the occasional shooter. like those who zeros the gun and put it away until the hunting season.

11. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

This was taken off the net but her is how I sight a rifle. 3 shots and I can be ON.

First, "bore sight" the rifle. To sight in a rifle without special equipment requires a rifle that allows you to look directly through the barrel from the rear. Secure the rifle on a sand bag rest. Then remove the bolt and sight through the barrel until you have your target centered in the bore. Without moving the rifle, adjust the crosshairs (or iron sights) to your target. Then fire a shot to confirm your sight setting. That should get you within 3" to 5" of the target center. Don't stop there because in the next 30 seconds you can easily fine tune the sights to within 1" or less. Just set the rifle back on the sand bag rest with the crosshairs (or iron sights) on the center of the same target. Then without moving the rifle, adjust the sights so that they line up with the shot that you just fired. After you make that adjustment and he fires the next shot, there's a good chance that he'll become hooked on shooting. Of course he will have to shoot a 5 shot group to find where the exact "center" of his group is.

Try to bring a few extra targets to the range and some extra hearing protection. The idea here is to motivate new shooters and not loose them to the golf club crowd. Remember, the more shooters we have, the more people we'll have to stand up for our Second Amendment.

12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I read this a while ago but they said it should get you on the paper at 25yds and to adjust from there out to 100. I tried this once and shot at 50yds; it hit the box I was shooting at but the bullet kind of key-holed. Turns out it was sighted way too low and the bullet had richoceted off the ground :eek4: I'm sure this method works though, I probably just fucked up.