Easy way to setup Smoothwall VPN?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GreyGooseVodka, Jan 16, 2004.

1. I have done a search, and all I have found are 20 page walkthroughs on how to setup a VPN from a single computer.

Here is what I want to do:

I want to be able to get onto the office LAN from my home XP box. Smoothwall is running as a firewall at the office. I will *NOT* install smoothwall on a box at home. My XP box is behind a netgear router.

How hard does this have to be?

2. is VPN already running on the SM box? if so, not hard at all. however, are you asking about actually deploying VPN software on the SM box, and it is not yet unpacked, configured or installed? a better bet would be to check the SM forums themselves ... this is something I've been looking into myself, and haven't come up with much, but haven't spent ALL that much tiem looking either.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

ugh, good luck getting it to work THROUGH your home router.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

5. Getting it to work through the home router is not a problem, I just need to forward the correct ports. My main problem is getting the Windows XP VPN software to connect to the Smoothwall's VPN software.

No, the VPN is not already set up - that is why I made this thread.

The approach that smoothwall wants you take is to have a smoothwall at each of the two sites and then have them connect to each other. While this is nice, it does not help a person who travels or for multiple users after they go home from the office. The person who will be using this mainly uses VNC as his VPN software.

I already posted this in the Smoothwall forums, but only got responses that included installing patches and fooling around with the Kernel. While I could figure it out, it would be wayyy too technical for everyone in our office to understand it.

Another route I may take is to have a windows 2K server behind the firewall running as a VPN server.

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

7. plat

plat New Member

ok while windows XP technically can support IPSEC its virtually impossible to get it to work right. you need something like SSH Sentinel which is free for personal use but it seems like you want to use it for business use.