Easy songs?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Markulous, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Markulous

Markulous New Member

I'm going to be kind of giving out my first guitar lessons to a friend and I wondered what are some easy songs to learn? Something with only 3 or 4 chords. I got a few of them that I think are easy but I'm not sure how easy they will be for someone who has never played before. So far I got:

Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
    Matchbox 20 - 3 AM
    Blues Traveler - Run Around
    Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight
    Pearl Jam - Last Kiss

Are those songs too hard you think? I'm trying to avoid giving him songs with power chords on them. I don't want him to get in the habit of just dropping d and playing 1 finger barr chords.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  2. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

Any song by Green Day. I really mean it.

3. Smorgan

Smorgan New Member

Deep Purple- Smoke On The Water

Everyone's first song on guitar, seems like.

4. Uder

Uder New Member

Faith No More - Easy

5. Original

Original OT Supporter

Or blink 182.. sometimes Third Eye Blind.

Most of their songs are catchy and also easy to play, plus most people/girls will recognize them :hs:

[edit] just noticed the power chords comment :o

6. ZekeSword

ZekeSword New Member

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Honestly, I wouldn't give lessons with songs if he's just starting out. Scales, chords, and basic theory should come first. Believe me, it will save him so much trouble.

7. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

War by Burzum. awesome rif and its just one string plus a single powercord lol.

8. Dangerousmind

Dangerousmind bad-ass amnesiac

Try some sogs off the Misfits album Static Age, they're all fun and really easy.

Here are some others that I learned with:

Metallica - Seek and Destroy
    Metallica - Enter Sandman
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were here
    REM - Losing My Religion

9. sapient

sapient New Member

Songs that can be easily modified to be played on a single string are best to get the very basics down, in my opinion. That's what makes Smoke on the Water the quintessential "my first song", since it allows the beginner to have a feeling of accomplishment while getting practice at how to hold the guitar, right hand positioning, left hand angle and comfort, fretting with only fingertips, pick handling, picking only one string instead of strumming all of them, ect.

If he's already got all that down, then I'd go onto powerchords. Any other chords are too difficult to remember right at first, since he'll still be trying to master making sure all the strings are actually held down, picking only the strings necessary for the chord, strumming, rhythm, ect. I recommend either having him play Smoke on the Water again, except with powerchords this time (since he already knows which frets to play, and can concentrate on technique instead), or Smells Like Teen Spirit. Any generic Green Day song works too I suppose.

edit: Just read your concern about powerchords, I missed it before posting. I think you've got a point, but I think I'd still teach him them first regardless, since more than anything, he needs to learn technique. It's difficult to master technique while worrying about where your fingers are. Once he can handle the instrument properly, then teach him some actual multi-string songs and some real chords. You're right on about drop-d powerchords though, don't let him even know he can do that yet, lol.